WW I era Armies and people behaving badly

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
James A Pratt III

WW I era Armies and people behaving badly

Post by James A Pratt III » 23 Aug 2019 20:53

Russian Armies Imperial, White, RKKA the Cheka ect behaving badly
archive.org "Jews in the Eastern War Zone"

books:
Nationalizing the Russian Empire
Imperial Apocalypse
The Russian Revolution R Pipes
Russia Under the Bolshevik Regime R. Pipes
Pogrom Anti Jewish Violence in Modern Russian History
Civil War in South Russia

Briths Army behaving badly in "Mespot"
Leachman OC Desert

archive.org In The Clouds Above Baghdad

Americans behaving badly
books
Red Summer 1919
The Texas Rangers and the Mexican Revolution The Bloodiest Decade 1910-1920

youtube
National WW I Museum and Memorial "WE Returned Fighting Red Summer"

James A Pratt III

Re: WW I era Armies and people behaving badly

Post by James A Pratt III » 29 Feb 2020 00:59

more
PorvenirTexas.org see also Porvenir massacre both wiki
also wiki see; Bandit War (of Texas)

archive.org "The Slaughter of Jews in the Ukraine in 1919"

TISO

Post by TISO » 01 Mar 2020 20:57

It seems that our Austro-Hungarian army had a quite nasty reputation for sumarilly executing serbian POW's and civilians as well as Russian civilians

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 01 Mar 2020 23:59

While the KUK Armee did sometimes execute Serb POWs who were not wearing uniforms when captured and civilians. The book "The Surection and Collapse of Habsburg Serbia 1914-1918" John E Cumez points out the KUK Armee did not go overboard so to speak. They killed fewer people than the German army did in Belgium. The KUK Armee was dumb enough to take pictures of the executions which can be seen on youtube "krieg Der Bilder" and in the book "A Mad Catastrophe"

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 16 Mar 2020 21:30

Germans behaving badly in Belgium:
"German Atrocities 1914 A History of denial"

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 16 Mar 2020 23:04

Bad behaviour covers several distinct unlawful or morally questionable activities.

#1. Most of the armies occasionally massacred prisoners, or would kill men attempting to surrender. Graham Parker one of the pioneers of modern battlefiled touring on the western front told a story about taking a veteran in the 1960s to thiepval on the Somme. He had been part of the uinit that captured this iconic strongpoint. The veteran broke down in tears and said that they diod not take prisoners that day broke and the memory of that deed haunted him for 50 years. The Australians did not take prisoners at Villers Brettoneaux in the night attack in April 1918. Although killing prisoners was against the laws of war that the British accepted, the practice was condoned in many formations and even obliquely encouraged, e.g.by publishing orders that indicated that no extra rations would be provided for prisoners, so if you took prisoners you would go hungry. One reason you see so many photographs of PW carrying wounded is to minimise the chance that someone with a grudge will kill them.

#2. The officers and NCOs of many of the armies would occasionally shoot soldiers from their own army who ran away. This was outside the formal military discipline process. Brigadier General Frank Percy Crozier's memoir opf the first world war is called "The men I killed". He w2asntl refrring to the Germans.

#3. Armies engaged in fighting what they considered unlawful combatants carried out summary reprisals or collective punishments. The German army in 1914 killed around 5,000 Belgians and French in their advance. The British heavy handed response to the Easter Rising of 1916 resulted in the arrest of thousands was regarded by many Irish as without just cause.

#4 Both Germany and the Western Entente powers conscripted foreign civilians to carry out war work. The Germans forced about 50,000 Belgian men to work in Germany. The British and French recruited around 100,000 Chinese to work in Europe, then persuaded the Chinese government to declare war on Germany, which resulted in these men being placed under martial law and forced to serve until after the end of the war.

#5 The war provided opportunities for some to carry out ethnic cleansing such as the pogroms in Galicia and the extermination of the Armenians.

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 09 Apr 2020 23:14

I would also like to point out that in Serbia the actions of the Komitadjis or Guerillas sometimes shocked the Austrians not only did they not wear any uniforms and do things like mutilate Austrian wounded, fire on hospital train, and behave badly on Austria lands ect but some were women !? It should also be pointed out in the Serb army men of the 3rd levy and some of the 2nd levy did not have uniforms. The Austrians reguarded all non-uniformed soldiers as Franc-Tireurs. I would also like to point out even Serb regular troops had uniform shortages.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 09 Apr 2020 23:26

James A Pratt III wrote:
09 Apr 2020 23:14
I would also like to point out that in Serbia the actions of the Komitadjis or Guerillas sometimes shocked the Austrians not only did they not wear any uniforms and do things like mutilate Austrian wounded, fire on hospital train, and behave badly on Austria lands ect but some were women !? It should also be pointed out in the Serb army men of the 3rd levy and some of the 2nd levy did not have uniforms. The Austrians reguarded all non-uniformed soldiers as Franc-Tireurs. I would also like to point out even Serb regular troops had uniform shortages.
One of the women was a British nurse called Flora Sandes.
One of our sentries, who was posted behind a rock, reported the first sight of them, and I went up to see where they w^ere, with two of the officers. I could not see them plainly at first, but they could evidently see our three heads very plainly. The companies were quickly posted in their various positions, and I made my way over to the Fourth, which was in the first line ; we did not need any trenches, as there were heaps of rocks for cover, and we laid behind them firing by volley. I had only a revolver and no rifle of my own at that time, but one of my comrades was quite satisfied to lend me his and curl himself up and smoke. We all talked in whispers, as if we were stalking rabbits, though I could not see that it mattered much if the Bulgarians did hear us, as they knew exactly where we were, as the bullets that came singing round one's head directly one stood up proved, but they did not seem awfully good shots. It is a funny thing about rifle fire, that a person's instinct always seems to be to hunch up his shoulders or turn up his coat collar when he is walking about, as if it were rain, though the bullet you hear whistle past your ears is not the one that is going to hit you. I have seen heaps of men do this who have been through dozens of battles and are not afraid of any mortal thing.

We lay there and fired at them all that day, and I took a lot of photographs which I wanted very much to turn out well; but, alas! during the journey through Albania the films, together with nearly all the others that I took, got wet and spoilt. The firing died down at dark, and we left the firing line and made innumerable camp fires and sat round them. Lieut. Jovitch, the Commander, took me into his company, and I was enrolled on its books, and he seemed to think I might be made a corporal pretty soon if I behaved myself.
Nails eh?
Read her story here. https://archive.org/details/englishwomanserg00sanduoft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora_Sandes

Was she behaving badly?

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”