Action 14f13 and WWI veterans

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Gorque

Action 14f13 and WWI veterans

Post by Gorque » 22 Nov 2019, 03:45

I'm curious if any WWI veterans and/or decorated WWI veterans were the recipients of Sonderbehandlung 14f13? I ask this as I've read that after the preliminary selection,
the prisoners were questioned about their participation in World War I and about any war medals they might have received.
I know that the Nazi's gave a limited deference to Jewish veterans of the Great War, especially those who were decorated and am wondering if the same held true for those too sick to work.

Gorque

Re: Action 14f13 and WWI veterans

Post by Gorque » 26 Nov 2019, 03:40

I located the answer to what I was seeking in The Origins of Nazi Genocide: From Euthanasia to the Final Solution by Henry Friedlander, p. 174:
Veterans of World War I formed a second group of patients who received special consideration. Veterans were to be exempted, especially if they had been awarded medals, had been wounded, or had performed with special valor at the front. In fact, however, this exemption was not applied with any consistency. Status as a veteran could not always prevent exclusion or even killing. ....

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”