German treatment of Jewish Anglo-American POWs

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
steve248

Re: German treatment of Jewish Anglo-American POWs

Post by steve248 » 09 May 2020, 11:29

British war crimes investigators, June 1945-Oct 1947, investigated the shooting of two Palestinian soldiers at Schomburg near Beuthen (Silesia in southern Poland), I think by POW camp guards. Along with other Allied soldier-POWs at a work camp. The investigation went nowhere and closed.
No further details due to lockdown (both me and UK National Archives)

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 09 May 2020, 12:19

According to the second post on this thread, captured Jewish Americans were likely to be "shot immediately or sent to a forced labour or death camp".

Have we any specific examples of any of these three fates?

Cheers Sid

steve248

Post by steve248 » 10 May 2020, 12:52

I agree with the sentiments in Sid's post above.
Allied soldiers/airmen/sailors taken prisoner on the battlefield were the remit of the Wehrmacht. Waffen-SS Divs handed prisoners over to the Wehrmacht. The prisoners were all taken back mainly to Germany or en route sent to a POW Camp.
Under the Geneva Convention, all non-officers could be used to supplement the civilian workforce. Therefore you find many POWs employed in coal mines, and on farms and factories. They were supposed to be paid for this work but saw little if any money. You find that many were abused wherever they worked; as with British POWs employed as Auschwitz-Monowitz.
Officer-POWs did not work and got bored to death in their various Oflags and Stalags, putting into practice ways and means of escape.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”