War Camp Info, Locations and Field Mail

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
eveybl

War Camp Info, Locations and Field Mail

Post by eveybl » 30 May 2020, 21:40

Hello, in examining a release document and a letter, and with the help of members of this wonderful site, I have made some headway in locating the places of imprisonment for Wilhelm Weichelt. Weichelt was taken as a German POW when the Russians occupied Berlin. He was first incarcerated in a war camp that was assigned the Red Cross Postal No. 75, which I have been told is a camp that was located in Rjabowo, Udmurtia region. Is there a way to learn more specifics about this camp, such as who was imprisoned there (general or specific), what these prisoners did during their time there, and which unit was tasked with running the camp?

We believe that Weichelt was held in this camp for the first half of his incarceration. At some point, he was released, but he was pulled from the train on his way home and sent to a second camp, this time for war crimes. From the stamp that appears on the bottom of his release document from the second camp, we believe that he was held this second time at a camp that was identified with Field Mail 31948 or 31943. I found a reference to a unit with Field Mail 31948 on an online list, but the unit to which it is assigned (129th Infantry Red Banner Corps) was disbanded prior to the date of the release document. Field Mail 31943 does not appear on the list. I had to use Google translator to view the online lists, because apparently the website is no longer maintained (I receive a 404 error message when trying to go the pages referenced by the Google search engine). Additionally, this list of Field Mail numbers states that it was current in 1946, so it's possible that the number was reassigned, or that the unit was reactivated, or any of a number of other possibilities.

Can someone please assist in pointing me to references that might help with this search? I am attaching several images to show what I have found, in the hopes that one of you knowledgeable folks will be able to assist. Many thanks!
Attachments
WilhelmFriedrichWeichelt-FirstPrison.jpg
1st Prison - William Weichelt Letter Home - 1946
AdjustedStamp.jpg
2nd Prison - Wilhelm Weichelt Release Document - Field Mail No. - 1950
AdjustedStamp.jpg (45.57 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
31948-Reference-DeadPage.jpg
Google search referencing dead page
31948-Reference1.jpg
Webpage referencing Field Mail numbers as of 1946 - dead page
31948-Reference2.jpg
Webpage listing Field Mail 31948 as of 1946 - dead page

famtree

Re: War Camp Info, Locations and Field Mail

Post by famtree » 24 Jul 2020, 08:19

I had the same question re red cross letter Postfach 56 and was trying to locate which facility this would have been

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”