Kristallnacht

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Kristallnacht

Post by Hans1906 » 04 Jun 2020 21:16

Good evening "Globalization41",

What you call "Kristallnacht", is nowadays called "Novemberpogrome 1938".

The german term "Kristallnacht" is nowadays a no longer accepted term here in Germany.

"Kristallnacht" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht

Novemberpogrome 1938 https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novemberpogrome_1938

This as a reminder to you, times have changed, and I think it's important to point out such details as well.

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Globalization41

Post by Globalization41 » 05 Jun 2020 03:20

Hi Hans. Sounds good to me. One of the articles even used "pogrom". … The Soviet article was coincidental. … You're right. Times are different. All those persons who participated in the pogrom are no longer available. … Germany's a nice place, at least during the Cold War it was. Neat. Clean. Tidy. One could thumb a ride easier than catching a bus, which were plentiful. … … Actually, I originally wanted to post something on looting, rioting, and burning. There were anti-Serb riots in 1914. The Jews lost a lot of shops in Rumania in 1940 I believe. Paris in 1968. (I think the Paris riots were just for the fun of it.) The Chicago Convention riots, the M.L.K. assassination & resulting riots, and peace demonstrations in 1968 made for much hyper drama. However, without a trade deficit in 1968, America could easily afford the social unrest, the Vietnam War, the Cold War, and the space program. … … How long does it take to build an efficient and smooth-running democracy? The U.S. was still having teething problems after 200 years. How long would it take in Syria or Libya for example?

Globalization41.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 06 Jun 2020 13:52

Good afternoon Globalization41,

you are welcome.

Even from the 1960s, and the 1970s, I still remember the term "Joed/Jöd" in the low german dialect.
This was used for a Jew/Jude back then, not very often, but from time to time, this term was still used.

The low german dialect was common in the families back then, the german term "Jude" was still there.
Parents, grandparents, they grew up with all this indoctrination, even we children "soaked" up this language,
at least in our childhood time.

Years later, we students were told and educated about the very other side of history, about the Shoa,
thanks to very few of our former teachers back then.
A never ending learning process...

Even very sucessful local business personalities were called "Jude", behind ones hand,
this "flaw" was always there, this is, what I remember from my earlier years.

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous » 02 Jun 2023 04:02

I found this link at the US Holocaust Memorial Museum website listing reactions to Kristallnacht by Christian institutions in the US and Geneva:
https://www.ushmm.org/research/about-th ... -reactions

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”