What percentage of Budapest Jews survived the Holocaust?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Futurist

What percentage of Budapest Jews survived the Holocaust?

Post by Futurist » 16 Jan 2021, 10:11

What percentage of Budapest Jews survived the Holocaust? The final two pages (347-348) of this book provide a figure of about 130,000 surviving Budapest Jews out of a grand total of about 200,000 Budapest Jews, or about 70% of all Budapest Jews indeed surviving the Holocaust:

https://ia800906.us.archive.org/10/item ... emoirs.pdf

However, I was wondering if anyone here has any alternative figures/data for this.

Sid Guttridge

Re: What percentage of Budapest Jews survived the Holocaust?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 16 Jan 2021, 14:13

Hi futurist,

Nice link. Thanks.

I have similar figures.

It should not be forgotten, however, that some 400,000 other Hungarian Jews had already been handed over to the Germans by July 1944 and that Hungarian resistance to sending the rest only ramped up after the Western Allies were already securely ashore in Normandy.

Cheers,

Sid.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 17 Jan 2021, 06:36

Where are your figures from, Sid?

Also, Yep, you are absolutely correct in regards to this, Sid. Honestly, I still wonder what the maximum number of Hungarian Jews that could have realistically been saved was. If I was in Horthy's place, I'd have remained Hitler's ally up to the very end if this would have meant that I could save more Jews--just so long as I could personally avoid getting hanged after the end of the war, of course!

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 17 Jan 2021, 06:37

To elaborate, with hindsight, if I was Miklos Horthy, I would have avoid sending peace feelers to the (Western?) Allies in 1942-1944 in order to reduce the risk that the Nazis would occupy my country or, even if they would have still had to occupy my country due to military necessity (even without any fears and risks of Hungarian treachery), that they would have murdered as many Hungarian Jews as they did in real life.

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 23 Jan 2021, 01:13

According to the 1941 census of the enlarged Hungary, the number of full Jews living in Trianon Hungary was 400,980, of which 184,473 lived in Budapest.

In addition, out of a total of 58,320 so-called "Christian Jews", ie full Jews who had converted to Christianity or Christians of partial Jewish descent, the great majority, 36,362, lived in Budapest.

At the end of the war, an estimated 119,000 full Jews still survived in Budapest. They were part of the estimated total of 286,000 full Jews of enlarged Hungary who were not deported to Germany in the period from May to early July 1944.

Of the 286,000 who escaped deportation, the great majority, some 260,000, lived in Trianon Hungary. That is because the Jews of the annexed areas were the first to be deported, and the deportation was halted soon after it had begun to be extended to the Jews of Trianon Hungary. The Jews living in Budapest were not affected by the major wave of deportations from May to early July 1944, and constituted the great majority of the Jews who escaped deportation.

The killing of the Jews of Budapest began after the overthrow of Horthy in October 1944, and the assumption of power by the radical Arrow Cross party. Most of the killings were perpetrated by members of the Arrow Cross militia, and claimed an estimated 65,000 victims.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”