Images/video of the Holocaust in Russia

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
weiwensg

Images/video of the Holocaust in Russia

Post by weiwensg » 01 Jun 2021, 19:38

A recent study found that the effects of the Holocaust in Russia persist to this day, and I'm making a video about it. To motivate the video, I'm looking for photos/short video clips regarding the Holocaust in Russia. Many images come to mind for the Holocaust in general (e.g. the gates of Auschwitz concentration camp), but I'm looking for something Russia specific (that is not too stomach churning).

Can anyone point me towards such resources? A quick Wikipedia/Google search didn't surface anything.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Re: Images/video of the Holocaust in Russia

Post by David Thompson » 14 Jul 2021, 06:22

A post by joeylonglegs containing photographs in violation of the H&WC section rules was removed:
3. Atrocity photographs

Atrocity photographs are not specifically covered in the forum rules. The policy here is, if the photos are "graphic," the contributor should post a link to the photographs, rather than the photographs themselves, so that the other viewers have a choice as to whether or not to take a look.

That leaves us with the question of what is "graphic." This is apparently discretionary with the moderator/host. Here's my view on it:

I don't care who is supposed to have committed the atrocities in the photographs. Whether the subject matter is Nazi, communist, ethnic, regional, racial, religious or any other type of atrocity, links and descriptions should be posted for the following classes of photographs and illustrations:

(a) Mutilated persons, alive or dead;

(b) Severed body parts, insufficient in themselves to constitute a person; and

(c) Dead persons who are not only dead, but who clearly appear to be the worse for wear.

There are specialty sites which cater to necro-voyeurs, but this isn't one of them. In case of doubt, ask first via private message.

Noncomplying posts will be deleted without warning.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53962

steve248

Re: Images/video of the Holocaust in Russia

Post by steve248 » 25 Jul 2021, 12:44

The Soviet Embassies in the UK and USA during WW2 published various books and pamphlets which showed pictures of dead civilians. Some photos taken when the Russians advanced and retook territory in 1942 before retreating against. One such among many is Kerch: see the recent book "Grief" by David Shneer which gives the history of a particular photo. Wendy Lower has also recently published a slim volume about a photo of an execution in Zhitomir region.
From my bookshelf I have a copy of "Soviet Documents on Nazi Atrocities. Illustrated by some 200 original photographs". It was publ by Hutchinson in London, New York and Melbourne; it is undated but most probably late 1942 or early 1943 and strangely for the time, published on slightly glossy paper. Photos of death and destruction and a photocopy of Reichenau's infamous original Oct 1941 order "On the conduct of troops in the East". Their English translation of this German document is not very accurate, more "political"...
The photos from all these publications must be from now Russian archives. I believe the Imperial War Museum in London may have some of the photos.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”