japanese military treatment on p.o.w's// civilians...

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
demonio

Post by demonio » 11 Jul 2003, 15:46

kittycat wrote:
demonio wrote:
kittycat wrote:
demonio wrote: They used to call the chinese "Sick man of Asia" due to the yellow appearance of their skin.
arr...you sure about that? I have heard other names but not that... & don't Japs also have 'yellow' skin? They are mostly likely a bit paler....but northern chinese are heaps pale too.
Ive heard a few racist expressions but it's probably inappropriate to discuss here. You have a bit of a point about what you've said above. I suppose it makes as much sense as hitler regarding blonde blue eyed slavs as inferior.
all this inferior, Superior race thing is completely stupid I reckon.
I agree it sucks big time. Imagine someone coming up to you and saying "im better than you because im from this race.. blah blah blah"

You'd laugh at them or slap them silly :)

blood and iron

Post by blood and iron » 13 Jul 2003, 07:53

The quote in which i used was given to me by my late grandfather who fought in the worst of conditions in an advance clearing patrol, led by 2/6 comando squadren... After staighting this quote he retrieved his 303 bayonet and presented it to me intailing the following comment... " I could never wish another man see what i have seen".
With that he never mentioned anything else on the war. This man, my grandfather , went through hell and back again and could'nt bare tell me the story.
Therefor i was insearch of mixed view points and feelings on the Japanese, perticularly the treatment inflicted upon the civilians and pow's
So David... no i havnt already made my mind up... the only conclusion i can come to is that there was a war taking place between what looked to be man and " BEAST ".
PTE Hearn

Gille

Post by Gille » 12 Aug 2003, 07:21

I don't think Bushido had much to do with Japanese treatment of prisoners.During the interwar years the Japanese military establishment ordered it's officers to brutalise the troops allow bullying and physical assaults on it's men.This was in order to remove any kind of humanity or compassion from the enlisted men.This allowed them to carry out such terrible crimes in China and Korea.Read- The Rape of Nanking to realise just how low they sank.At the end of WW2 most of the Senior officers involved got let off by the Americans as they were needed in the rebuilding of Japan.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 12 Aug 2003, 16:17

Gille -- You said: "Read- The Rape of Nanking to realise just how low they sank.At the end of WW2 most of the Senior officers involved got let off by the Americans as they were needed in the rebuilding of Japan."

Do you have some names of those senior officers who "got let off?"

Xanthro

Post by Xanthro » 12 Aug 2003, 21:23

Blood and Iron wrote:Through constant brain-washing, the supreme rulers of japan were able to use there army as meir puppets, knowing that these puppets would do ANYTHING they were told.... to the last detail.
That is misleading since the supreme rulers of Japan were the Army.

So, you have the army brainwashing the army.

Hirohito did not control the government, though he is vest with "supreme" power, he can't actually ever use any of it. Being divine, he wasn't allowed to interfer in the mere affairs of mortals.

The Army control Japan from the mid 1920s onward, and the Army engaged in activity that was opposed by both the Throne and the Navy, but the army was in charge.

Xanthro

VirtueDecayed

Post by VirtueDecayed » 12 Aug 2003, 21:42

I agree with the Japanese when concerning prisoners. These people are your enemy, they are attacking your country, killing your people, friends, brothers, sisters... you're supposed to treat them well? like guests of honor? I think not..
Those who capture people attacking their country, have every right to treat them as barbaric as they wish.
"All is fair in love and war."

(I do not condone what the japanese did to women and civillians)

Gille

Post by Gille » 12 Aug 2003, 22:37

Firstly I suggest you read the Rape of Nanking or The good German,the second book is about a Nazi official in China who tried to save Chinese Civilian's from Japenese death squads.It's been awhile since I read them but I'm sure it mentions that a relation of the Emporer was involved with the leaders of the army.After the war America wanted to rebuild Japan as a bastion against the commmunist Chinese so past crimes were swept under the carpet.The Emporer could not be tainted with any relationship to past wrongs as he was to important a figue to the people.
Unlike the Germans the Japenese have never publicly admitted to war crimes or taught there school children about such crimes. As to you VirtueDecayed let's hope for your sake that your never on the loosing side!

AGRAKAN

Post by AGRAKAN » 13 Aug 2003, 01:43

I agree with Paul Timms. I've seen that programme too, and the treatment received by the POWs was completely different during the second conflict.

I also shoud say, the training in the Japanese army was considered by their soldiers as hell. So many cluel punishments, that it's relatively obvious that they became saddistic criminals. Also, anything was justified by their devotion to the Emperor.

PS Hello to everyone, it´s my 1st post here.
Attachments
Div Azul.jpg
Div Azul.jpg (237.56 KiB) Viewed 1329 times

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 13 Aug 2003, 02:33

AGRAKAN -- Welcome to this section of the forum.

VirtueDecayed

Post by VirtueDecayed » 13 Aug 2003, 21:42

Does nobody else notice a big swastika on AGRAKAN's post?

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 31 Aug 2003, 02:52

i think the german prisoners of ww1 were the ones captured in the german colony in china"sphere of influence" wei hei wei(something like that)

the japanese apparently had a lot of respect for german culture and its militaritic ways. for whatever reason, the japanese maintained thier respect for the germans inspite of the fact that they did surrender.

Berichter

Post by Berichter » 08 Jun 2004, 18:13

What I am curious about is: Was the treatment of PoWs in the camps a deliberate government policy of neglect and abuse or was it the result of both Japanese mindset and a faulty Japanese logistics system? From what I am able to gather, the Bataan Death March in April 1942 was the result of a lack of preparation for the numbers of PoWs that 14th Army had to contend with. I'm trying to puzzle out why the Japanese PoW record during WWII had arose, since the Japanese were famous for their equitable treatment of Germans captured in China during WWI. Or was it simply that the Japanese mindset had changed since WWI?

Cordially,

Berichter

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 09 Jun 2004, 05:31

Berichter -- You asked:
Was the treatment of PoWs in the camps a deliberate government policy of neglect and abuse or was it the result of both Japanese mindset and a faulty Japanese logistics system?

In the case of the Bataan death march, it appears to have been the result of faulty logistical planning and an unwillingness to admit that fact. Instead of the subordinate officers going to General Homma and telling him: "We don't have the trucks or other transportation to move those prisoners according to schedule without having to beat, shoot and bayonet stragglers," the Japanese officers went directly to the beatings, shootings and bayonetings.

Later, the Japanese treatment of POWs was equally callous. I have not seen orders requiring Japanese troops to treat the POWs in an inhumane way. However, I have not seen many instances where a Japanese commissioned officer or non-commissioned officer was put on trial for inhumane treatment of POWs either, and there was no shortage of such treatment. The policy of the Japanese government toward the POWs was at best negligent, and their failure to properly supervise and punish abusive personnel amounted to a ratification of the inhumane treatment in their POW camps.

You also asked:
I'm trying to puzzle out why the Japanese PoW record during WWII had arose, since the Japanese were famous for their equitable treatment of Germans captured in China during WWI. Or was it simply that the Japanese mindset had changed since WWI?
I cannot reconcile the accounts of Japanese treatment of POWs in WWI with accounts from WWII. Something must have changed for the worse in the command, leadership and training of their soldiers to have produced the WWII results.

You can find links to accounts of POWs under Japanese rule at:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=44352

iceagle

Post by iceagle » 16 Aug 2004, 11:37

VirtueDecayed wrote:I agree with the Japanese when concerning prisoners. These people are your enemy, they are attacking your country, killing your people, friends, brothers, sisters... you're supposed to treat them well? like guests of honor? I think not..
Those who capture people attacking their country, have every right to treat them as barbaric as they wish.
"All is fair in love and war."

(I do not condone what the japanese did to women and civillians)
You must know the history detailedlly.Japan was the invader,it invaded China,Korea ,Southeast Asia and attacked USA and some other countries at first.If one's country is invaded by another country,peopole attack the enemies who killed both soldiers and civilians that can be called a reason for Jap anese to treated POWs very badly???

iceagle

Post by iceagle » 16 Aug 2004, 11:49

Here some photos that Japanese army killed Chinese civilians

[atrocity photos deleted by Peter H]

Whatever places in China were occupied by Japanese, common civilians
were often killed in many ways.

This is the history.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”