Question about the number of Jews who were successfully evacuated from Minsk right before the Holocaust

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Futurist

Question about the number of Jews who were successfully evacuated from Minsk right before the Holocaust

Post by Futurist » 07 Nov 2021, 20:45

In his book The Holocaust in the Soviet Union, Yitzhak Arad writes this on page 79:
About 7,000 of Minsk’s 72,000 Jews were evacuated or managed to escape in time.23
The "23" at the end is the reference number, and if one goes near the end of this book to see what reference 23 on page 79 stands for, it apparently stands for this (on page 554):
23. E. G. Joffe, Stranitsy Istorii Yevreev Belorusii, 109–10
So, it's apparently pages 109-110 in a book by E. G. Joffe called Stranitsy Istorii Yevreev Belorusii, or Страницы истории евреев Беларуси in Russian.(It literally translates to "Pages of the History of Belarusian Jews" in English.)

Anyway, I subsequently found this specific E. G. Joffe book and had my mom read me the full text of pages 109-110 in this book (I myself can read Russian, but very slowly, so it was easier to have my mom do this for me while I listened to her), but unfortunately we couldn't actually find any mention about either 7,000 Minsk Jews successfully evacuating or there being 72,000 Jews in Minsk in total right before the start of Operation Barbarossa.

For what it's worth, both of these books are available for free in their entirety on Libgen (Library Genesis), in the event that one doesn't know how to access these books for free.

So, anyway, my question here is this:

If this information is NOT on pages 109-110 of the Joffe book, then what exactly is the source of this information? Is it from some other page(s) in the Joffe book? If so, exactly which pages? Or is it from a completely different source entirely? If so, exactly which source?

Any thoughts on all of this?

wm

Re: Question about the number of Jews who were successfully evacuated from Minsk right before the Holocaust

Post by wm » 07 Nov 2021, 23:33

All the evacuations of Jews are propaganda inventions, as rule Soviet nomenclature was evacuated, young men, workers.
Nobody expected atrocities, gas chambers, ovens - they didn't exist at that time.
And (not that numerous) atrocities in occupied Poland were suppressed by the German-friendly Soviet propaganda. So they really didn't know anything and expected nothing.

Futurist

Re: Question about the number of Jews who were successfully evacuated from Minsk right before the Holocaust

Post by Futurist » 07 Nov 2021, 23:46

wm wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 23:33
All the evacuations of Jews are propaganda inventions, as rule Soviet nomenclature was evacuated, young men, workers.
Nobody expected atrocities, gas chambers, ovens - they didn't exist at that time.
And (not that numerous) atrocities in occupied Poland were suppressed by the German-friendly Soviet propaganda. So they really didn't know anything and expected nothing.
I know that the Soviet evacuations were not of Jews specifically--they evacuated useful people in general. It's just that a large part of the Soviet Union's useful people were Jews--hence Jews being disproportionate beneficiaries of Soviet evacuation efforts.

But that's beside my point here. Rather, my point, or question, here is what the source is for the 7,000 Jews being evacuated from Minsk right after te start of Operation Barbarossa. Because the relevant pages on the listed source don't actually appear to mention this 7,000 evacuated Jews figure.

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 10 Jan 2022, 20:04

Is there more than one edition of E. G. Joffe, Stranitsy Istorii Yevreev Belorusii, ?

Different editions, (expanded, abridged, with addition of photos), might use different fonts/pagination which might make things confusing ?

Gorque

Post by Gorque » 10 Jan 2022, 23:29

Futurist wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 23:46
I know that the Soviet evacuations were not of Jews specifically--they evacuated useful people in general. It's just that a large part of the Soviet Union's useful people were Jews--hence Jews being disproportionate beneficiaries of Soviet evacuation efforts.
Hi Futurist:

Have you read this article regarding the evacuation of Soviet Jews from the annexed territories?

Pinchuk, Ben-Cion. “Was There a Soviet Policy for Evacuating the Jews?: The Case of the Annexed Territories.” Slavic Review, vol. 39, no. 1, Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies, 1980, pp. 44–55, https://doi.org/10.2307/2497301.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2497301

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”