Last survivor of Oradour massacre dies

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Lukens

Last survivor of Oradour massacre dies

Post by Lukens » 17 Apr 2023 20:12

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/obituaries/ar ... 53_15.html

Almost missed this as it (sadly rather predictably) barely made any of the mainstream news, but another link to a major event in WWII has now been lost to history.

How utterly surreal and horrific it must of been for him to have survived and lived for almost 80 more years after the massacre that destroyed everything he knew from his childhood.

Like many people here I first heard about the Oradour massacre after watching the series “World at War”.

RIP

Richard Anderson

Re: Last survivor of Oradour massacre dies

Post by Richard Anderson » 18 Apr 2023 05:58

Lukens wrote:
17 Apr 2023 20:12
https://www.lemonde.fr/en/obituaries/ar ... 53_15.html

Almost missed this as it (sadly rather predictably) barely made any of the mainstream news, but another link to a major event in WWII has now been lost to history.

How utterly surreal and horrific it must of been for him to have survived and lived for almost 80 more years after the massacre that destroyed everything he knew from his childhood.

Like many people here I first heard about the Oradour massacre after watching the series “World at War”.

RIP
They are all departing, those who have not already departed. I only hope we can keep some of their memory alive.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Lukens

Post by Lukens » 18 Apr 2023 12:18

I agree, I do try where I can - I’m currently working on a book about whereby I interviewed or had correspondence with veterans over the last few years - for some of them it’s only a page or two perhaps of a particular memory they recalled but it’s the least I can do.

offizier1916

Post by offizier1916 » 24 Apr 2023 07:42

RIP. I recently watched a french documentary about this massacre. Its just.....you are just speechless, you are at a loss for words when you think about these attrocities commited by ss soldiers.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”