Dresden Photos

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
User avatar
Scott Smith
Member
Posts: 5602
Joined: 10 Mar 2002 21:17
Location: Arizona

Post by Scott Smith » 24 Jul 2003 16:23

Helly Angel wrote:Long time ago I posted a photo from an executions in an Einzatgruppen in Russia and Scoth Smith protested and required to Marcus actions against the thread.

I ask myself if Scoth will protest with this terrible photo too.

Well, the policy of the board, which I agree with, is to post atrocity photos as links instead of as open images. This reduces the posting of atrocity pictures as Spam.
:)

User avatar
Whisper
Member
Posts: 256
Joined: 15 Jul 2003 16:16
Location: Germany

Post by Whisper » 24 Jul 2003 16:59

13th february: 773 RAF-Lancasters bombed Dresden
the next two days USAAF sent 527 heavy bombers to follow up the RAF attacks. They used bombs filled with magnesium and phosphorus to create firestorms. The air above the bombed area became extremlx hot and rose that fast that cold air rushed in at groundlevel and people have been sucked up into the fire.
They dont know how many people have been killed during these attacks, because of the firestorm it was impossible to count numbers of victims, they go from 30.000 to 100.000.

A warcrime in my eyes, not committed by the bombercrews but by the guys that decided to fly attacks like these. But they were never tried.

User avatar
Helly Angel
Member
Posts: 4660
Joined: 11 Mar 2002 20:00
Location: Venezuela (Southamerica)

Post by Helly Angel » 24 Jul 2003 17:06

Thanks Recihpilot for your kinds lines!

Thanks Scoth too!

I have somwhere a strong photo of Dresden. I believe this is a Holocaust too. The photo is a close up of a bodies after the bomb phosphorus , but I can´t found it let me see

Deeply emotive this thread, there are Crimes War that never were tried.

User avatar
reichpilot
Member
Posts: 1216
Joined: 01 Jul 2003 03:15
Location: U.S.A.

Post by reichpilot » 24 Jul 2003 22:45

Helly Angel wrote:Deeply emotive this thread, there are Crimes War that never were tried.


The allies were not free of war crimes. We just don't hear much about them.
Don

neugierig
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: 23 Sep 2002 23:56
Location: Canada

Post by neugierig » 25 Jul 2003 04:05

My mom was born in Dresden. My sister and I visited our aunt, moms sister, just days before the bombing. I saw all the refugees, the streets blocked.
My wife and I visited again two years ago. Large parts have been re-build, some areas are still empty. There are some before and after pictures available. The largest project at this time, almost completed, is the Frauenkirche (My Ladies Church) A little story with it. In the night of the bombing, many sought refuge in the church. It withstood the bombing, in the morning, people left when, a little while later, they heard a mighty groan and the beautiful church collapsed. It is being re-build using all of the original stones recovered, installed in their original place, quite a project.
I hope we learned something from this war, I am, however sceptical.

Wilf

User avatar
Scott Smith
Member
Posts: 5602
Joined: 10 Mar 2002 21:17
Location: Arizona

Post by Scott Smith » 25 Jul 2003 05:45

neugierig wrote:I hope we learned something from this war, I am, however sceptical.

I fear that we have not, but there is always hope.
:)

Caldric
Member
Posts: 8077
Joined: 10 Mar 2002 21:50
Location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by Caldric » 25 Jul 2003 06:53

Just so we keep things in perspective, 140,000 did not die at Dresden. This is a wild guess and the number is not accurate, the master-revisionist Irving started some of these wild numbers flying.

User avatar
Whisper
Member
Posts: 256
Joined: 15 Jul 2003 16:16
Location: Germany

Post by Whisper » 25 Jul 2003 07:29

Caldric wrote:Just so we keep things in perspective, 140,000 did not die at Dresden. This is a wild guess and the number is not accurate, the master-revisionist Irving started some of these wild numbers flying.


Like i said , nobody knows how many people died in Dresden because it was impossible to count the victims, and nobody really knew how many people have been in Dresden at the moment because of all the refugees.
Even 140.000 could be possible!
No matter how high the losses were, it was a crime, one of the badest in the whole war in my eyes, because the only reason for this attacks were to killl civilists. And instead of building a monument for Bomber Harris they should have tried him. But thats the right of the winner i guess.

BW
Dennis

kelty90
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: 11 Mar 2002 14:04
Location: Hampshire, England

Post by kelty90 » 25 Jul 2003 09:04

I know that it is hard to believe, but in 1945, people in Britain and the USA believed that Germany had started the war. The German bombing of British cities and many other cities we all know to be entirely reasonable and justified, but at the time the ill-informed people in those countries were quite happy to bomb Germany in turn. We know now, of course, that German cities were not involved in the German war effort, that urban areas housed nuns and orphans and only produced baby toys and religious pamphlets. But that is not how it appeared at the time.
Dresden, like all other German cities, had no significance at all. No railways, roads, factories, and even no defences. So, in retrospect maybe the USA and the British should not have bombed Dresden, but at the time it seemed like a good idea.

User avatar
Leica
Member
Posts: 88
Joined: 18 Jun 2003 09:37
Location: Deutschland

Post by Leica » 25 Jul 2003 09:11

Caldric wrote:Just so we keep things in perspective, 140,000 did not die at Dresden. This is a wild guess and the number is not accurate, the master-revisionist Irving started some of these wild numbers flying.


The number is not accurate (25.000 - 30.000 victims), but that doesn't change the fact that it was a unnecessary mass killing without any strategical importance for an already won war.

neugierig
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: 23 Sep 2002 23:56
Location: Canada

Post by neugierig » 25 Jul 2003 16:17

Who said anything about 140 000?
I would just like to make some comment on the numbers game. By the spring of 1945, our house was full of refugees from east Germany. Nobody knew, or cared where they came from or where they went after the war. They didn’t register anywhere, so, in fact, they didn’t exist. Now to Dresden. The same thing happened there, but on a much larger scale. Nobody could know how many refugees were in Dresden at the time of the murderous bombardment, so how can anyone know how many died? I understand somebody by the name of Berlander (?) wrote a book claiming 25 000 died, the lowest number so far, but eagerly taken up by the German left who, for decades, have made every effort to downplay German suffering, if they acknowledged it at all. But, in spite of their efforts, the bombing and refugee issues are being talked about, some, lately.
One must remember old Chinese saying: “Two wrongs don’t make a right”. At least I think it’s Chinese. :wink:

Wilf

User avatar
chalutzim
Member
Posts: 803
Joined: 09 Nov 2002 20:00
Location: Südamerika - Brazil

Post by chalutzim » 25 Jul 2003 17:08

Scott Smith wrote:
neugierig wrote:I hope we learned something from this war, I am, however sceptical.

I fear that we have not, but there is always hope.
:)


I'm afraid you're right in the first part of your sentence. You have only to look at David Irving's numbers about the bombing and contrast them with the truth, even with the "victor's truth". But the second part, where you say that hope always exists, it's discredited by the same David Irving and his untiring efforts to "revise" that same History that is supposed to teach us how not to repeat the past mistakes. :)

Caldric
Member
Posts: 8077
Joined: 10 Mar 2002 21:50
Location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by Caldric » 25 Jul 2003 17:29

Leica wrote:
Caldric wrote:Just so we keep things in perspective, 140,000 did not die at Dresden. This is a wild guess and the number is not accurate, the master-revisionist Irving started some of these wild numbers flying.


The number is not accurate (25.000 - 30.000 victims), but that doesn't change the fact that it was a unnecessary mass killing without any strategical importance for an already won war.


War is killing and is all unnecessary. The war was unnecessary and 30,000 is a drop in the bucket of 55 million.

User avatar
Leica
Member
Posts: 88
Joined: 18 Jun 2003 09:37
Location: Deutschland

Post by Leica » 25 Jul 2003 18:38

Caldric wrote:War is killing and is all unnecessary. The war was unnecessary and 30,000 is a drop in the bucket of 55 million.


30.000 are probably a drop in the bucket for you, but not in my world view and standards of humanity. Not only thousands of innocent men, women and children were killed absolutely unnecessary in a horrifying night, but a city of extraordinary beauty also perished by the barbarism of men like Churchill. One crime does not justify another.

Caldric
Member
Posts: 8077
Joined: 10 Mar 2002 21:50
Location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by Caldric » 25 Jul 2003 18:55

Leica wrote:
Caldric wrote:War is killing and is all unnecessary. The war was unnecessary and 30,000 is a drop in the bucket of 55 million.


30.000 are probably a drop in the bucket for you, but not in my world view and standards of humanity. Not only thousands of innocent men, women and children were killed absolutely unnecessary in a horrifying night, but a city of extraordinary beauty also perished by the barbarism of men like Churchill. One crime does not justify another.



The old tired "two wrongs do not make a right" is just that old and tired and very incorrect.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”