And if there were medical gains, should they be used?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Roberto

Re: And if there were medical gains, should they be used?

Post by Roberto » 20 May 2002, 13:23

Ovidius wrote:
Roberto wrote:I wonder what medical gains - if any - were obtained from experiments such as those above described.
I see I have to re-formulate Yedith's question:

Assuming that you(Roberto Muehlenkamp) were an Air Force pilot who was forced to eject over the North Atlantic without oxygen mask, to survive freezing in the below-zero water and to drink seawater before you were recovered, and due to treatments and training based on high-altitude/extreme cold/saltwater experiments you survived unharmed, would you put a flower on the grave of Dr. Sigmund Rascher? :mrgreen:

~Regards,

Ovidius
I doubt I would if I knew what the experiments were all about.

Is there any evidence that Rascher’s experiments on sub-human guinea pigs resulted in improvements that saved the valuable lives of Aryan airmen, by the way?

Tarpon27

Post by Tarpon27 » 20 May 2002, 13:46

Assuming that you(Roberto Muehlenkamp) were an Air Force pilot who was forced to eject over the North Atlantic without oxygen mask, to survive freezing in the below-zero water and to drink seawater before you were recovered, and due to treatments and training based on high-altitude/extreme cold/saltwater experiments you survived unharmed, would you put a flower on the grave of Dr. Sigmund Rascher?

What, Ovidius...none for the graves of the victims?

Mark

Ovidius

TARPON AND ROBERTO

Post by Ovidius » 20 May 2002, 14:40

Roberto wrote:I doubt I would if I knew what the experiments were all about.

Is there any evidence that Rascher’s experiments on sub-human guinea pigs resulted in improvements that saved the valuable lives of Aryan airmen, by the way?
Tarpon27 wrote:What, Ovidius...none for the graves of the victims?
Both of you understood, as I've expected, nothing of my question.

I never thought I would say this, but HETMAN former General Anders former DPWES had put the problem the most reasonable way.

Our dear friend Roberto had posted the description of Dr. Rascher's experiments attempting to prove that the Doctor had been a sadistic scum, which, in Roberto's opinion, was expectable in a Third Reich. :P

The problem is the following: the Doctor is dead, his victims are dead, most of their heirs are dead as well, but the results of the experiments are still available in archives. "We" can use them, and still have our hands clean. Someone, six decades earlier, a "sadistic Fascist dog" to quote his victim, had done the dirty job. "We" can just exploit his results(and be thankful he did it instead of us). The problem is not if he had the right to torture and kill; what the heck, we all know that torture and killing are wrong; but someone had to do it, and it's better that it was someone else in charge, right? :mrgreen:

~Ovidius

Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin » 20 May 2002, 16:45

Scott Smith wrote:Pumpkin wrote:
This is a purely rational approach. One might put moral aspects on it as well. And moral always involves ignoring the consequences in favour of some blind "principle".

Yes, and also a very "Bourgeois" way of looking at the world.

I have take a master in economics and finance, so I might very well be infested with some hidden bourgoise frame of thought! But, most of all, I am appealed by rationality. Finance is just a rational approach to analysing cash flows. The fact that financial economics is based on rational analaysis should not be an argument against applying rational analysis in other areas. Whatever opinion one has on economic politics.

In my view, rationality is all about choosing the best available alternative for action. What is "best" is naturally up to the judgement of the one making the decision. In evaluating the alternatives, one should consider all future consequences. To use, or not to use, knowledge obtained by inappropriate methods, comes down to weighting the short-term pro's against the long-term con's. Rationality is a tool of logic that distinctly defines alternatives according to their consequences. Ultimately, only personal values can guide us in making the choice between them.

A purely moral stance would be to set up a rule that relates to the actions themselves, rather than to the consequences. "Thou shallst not kill", instead of "minimize the suffering" or something like that. Killing might occasionally be a way to minimize the siffering. Hence a moral approach might lead to more suffering than than would a rational approach based on moral evaluation of the consequences.

Personally, I think that those research results should have been allowed to be used after the war. Mainly because a repetition of the experiments that leads to such results might not have influenced the incentives for repeating such experiments. It would hardly have discouraged the Soviets from conducting similar experiments, for instance.

Does anyone know if there actually were any restrictions on the use of knowledge from such experiments in the US an UK after the war? If not, it doesn't seem to have given much of incentive to repeat such experiments, so after the fact, it seems to have been the correct call.

Scott Smith

A RATIONAL APPROACH...

Post by Scott Smith » 21 May 2002, 03:39

Pumpkin wrote:
Scott Smith wrote:Pumpkin wrote:
This is a purely rational approach. One might put moral aspects on it as well. And moral always involves ignoring the consequences in favour of some blind "principle".

Yes, and also a very "Bourgeois" way of looking at the world.
I have take a master in economics and finance, so I might very well be infested with some hidden bourgoise frame of thought! But, most of all, I am appealed by rationality. Finance is just a rational approach to analysing cash flows. The fact that financial economics is based on rational analaysis should not be an argument against applying rational analysis in other areas. Whatever opinion one has on economic politics.
Those are good points and I am not against a rational or even a "Bourgeois" approach myself. I would only caution that what is "rational" in the short term may not be so in the long term, particularly if uncertainties are involved (as is often the case with financial markets). A wartime expedient that might seem vitally important at the time may not be so at a later date. For example, atomic experimentation during the Cold War might have been a necessity then, though it appears silly and even immoral now. Of course, we understand the effects of radiation and so on today but it was then a big puzzle.
Pumpkin wrote:Personally, I think that those research results should have been allowed to be used after the war. Mainly because a repetition of the experiments that leads to such results might not have influenced the incentives for repeating such experiments. It would hardly have discouraged the Soviets from conducting similar experiments, for instance.

Does anyone know if there actually were any restrictions on the use of knowledge from such experiments in the US an UK after the war? If not, it doesn't seem to have given much of incentive to repeat such experiments, so after the fact, it seems to have been the correct call.
I think the whole question of whether or not to use the famed Nazi data is a red-herring. By implying that there is usable data that could be used somewhere, it tells us that yes, there was human medical experimentation--even if there isn't. Therefore, the atrocity propaganda stories are supported factually even where this is not the case. Sort of Veritas in Uno, Veritas in Omnibus: if one claim is true then they all MUST be true, however absurd. They are the nasty-Nazis after all, and atrocity propaganda is grist for the mill.

First of all, what do we mean by this data?

It is normal for government medical authorities to gather epidemiological data on soldiers, patients, prisoners, etc., and this is not the same as human medical experimentation, necessarily. The origin of the English word STATISTICS comes from gathering data useful for the STATE. Florence Nightingale was able to show statistically that due to disease, life in the barracks was far more dangerous for an English soldier than campaigning in the Crimea! Certainly during WWII the German Sanitätsarzt were gathering data of all kinds to control disease in the camps.

Secondly, human medical experimentation goes on all the time; it is perhaps even less regulated than animal experimentation on the basis that a human can theoretically say NO. The Nazis did have anti-vivisection laws on the books to protect animals. Himmler at least claimed that the human medical experimentation was conducted only on criminal prisoners and only voluntarily in exchange for favors. The more the risk the more the reliance on condemned prisoners. Now, of course, irrespective of Himmler's word on this, it can be argued as to how much free-will prisoners or soldiers (or students in need of cash) really do have. But that is a separate issue to whether human medical experimentation should be done at all and whether data should be thrown-out if conducted unethically or if danger and suffering were involved.

To my knowledge the only data that we are referring to is the well-known Luftwaffe high-altitude and hypothermia experimentation. This was a goldmine for the U.S. Air Force after the war. Shirer's nonsense notwithstanding, any other Nazi data I am not aware of; and indeed, because of that fact I am extremely skeptical of other atrocity tales.

So, if we want to debate whether to use this data or not, then WHERE is it?

Sure, the Nazis used no scientific method; they just horribly tortured their enemies, the Jews, for the fun of it in the name of science--and then we ask whether it is ethical to use these chimerical data or not. Absurd.
:roll:
Last edited by Scott Smith on 21 May 2002, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

Kaiser

Post by Kaiser » 21 May 2002, 07:30

The US army has performed horrific experiments on their soliders in both times of war and peace (radiation, LSD, agent orange, ect.) Was it wrong? probably. did it save future soliders lives? perhaps. should we now ignore the results? no. War has paved the way for the greatest horrors, and the greatest discoveries. Both still haunt us today, whether right or wrong...

tonyh

re

Post by tonyh » 21 May 2002, 12:30

Wasn't the remedy for severe frostbitten limbs formulated in one of the camps?

Tony

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 21 May 2002, 12:38

Kaiser,

I agree with you.

Btw, how many circles are there in hell? And why do you reside in the fifth one?

Dan

Post by Dan » 21 May 2002, 13:49

HETMAN wrote:Kaiser,

I agree with you.

Btw, how many circles are there in hell? And why do you reside in the fifth one?
It's an allusion to Dante's Inferno. There are 9 circles of Hell, each devoted to different kinds of sinners. The Fifth Circle of Hell is prepared for people who are wrathfull, sullen, that sort of thing. They spend eternity tearing each other apart, being choked on slime, etc..

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 21 May 2002, 17:02

Dan wrote:

I agree with you.

It's an allusion to Dante's Inferno. There are 9 circles of Hell, each devoted to different kinds of sinners. The Fifth Circle of Hell is prepared for people who are wrathfull, sullen, that sort of thing. They spend eternity tearing each other apart, being choked on slime, etc..
Indeed, Dante's Inferno. I should read that sometime...

Birgitte Heuschkel

Post by Birgitte Heuschkel » 21 May 2002, 17:34

I agree with you.

Nine, according to Dante. The Fifth is that of the Wrathful Souls, so perhaps it's quite fitting for someone researching war :)

Tarpon27

Post by Tarpon27 » 21 May 2002, 19:43

Ovidus wrote:

Both of you understood, as I've expected, nothing of my question.

My reply to you, Ovidus, was mildly sarcastic, as your suggestion to plant a flower on Herr Doktor's grave, I suggest that those who died from Herr Doktor's "studies" maybe should deserve the flowers...

Frankly, I have yet to see any posts by members here of writings or records that actually suggest something valuable was learned from such "research". Hypothermia and oxygen-deprivation were hardly unknown in the period.

Regards,

Mark

Scott Smith

FROSTBITE and ALIENS?

Post by Scott Smith » 22 May 2002, 05:04

tonyh wrote:Wasn't the remedy for severe frostbitten limbs formulated in one of the camps?
Hypothermia, yes. That is when the body's core temperature lowers sufficiently that the brain starts to shut down. The best treatment was found to simply raise the body's core temperature by immersion in hot water.

But I don't know about frostbite. It seems to me there would be lots of frostbitten patients on tap for the Nazi doctors to study and treat experimentally; no need to torture prisoners to see if their feet can freeze.
:wink:
Tarpon27 wrote:Frankly, I have yet to see any posts by members here of writings or records that actually suggest something valuable was learned from such "research". Hypothermia and oxygen-deprivation were hardly unknown in the period.
Perhaps the onus of proof should be on those wringing their hands over the morality of using data from the vaunted Nazi medical experiments...

Anyway, aviation medicine was in its infancy in those days, and particularly with the daily increases in aircraft performance, speed and altitude. The Germans pioneered "crash-test dummies" and the development of the ejection seat in WWII. They used live test pilots sometimes and possibly prisoners but I'm not aware of any atrocity claims related to Luftwaffe crash tests and ejection seats.

Yes, aviation medicine was a big deal in the 1940s, and later space medicine. Charles Lindbergh writes in his memoirs of volunteering for the high-altitude chamber. Of course, if one wants to ensure safety, there were limits to these tests that wouldn't necessarily apply to condemned prisoners or special volunteers.

I saw a program on the Discovery channel last night about the gentleman who tested the limits of g-forces on the human body with the rocket sled. Pretty harrowing stuff. "Spam in a can," as they used to say. It is possible that Air Force experiments with crash-test dummies at Roswell, New Mexico account for some of the popular "alien autopsy" stories.

:aliengray :aliengray

HEINKEL 162 VOLKSJÄGER Ejection Seat:

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 23 May 2002, 13:10

Perhaps the onus of proof should be on those wringing their hands over the morality of using data from the vaunted Nazi medical experiments...
That’s not exactly a scientific approach, is it?

Those who favor the use of data resulting from Nazi experiments on human guinea pigs should demonstrate that those data are useful for something in the first place, as I see it.

Scott Smith

WHAT DATA?

Post by Scott Smith » 23 May 2002, 13:34

Roberto wrote:
That’s not exactly a scientific approach, is it?

Those who favor the use of data resulting from Nazi experiments on human guinea pigs should demonstrate that those data are useful for something in the first place, as I see it.
What data? Where is it?
:wink:

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”