6 Million?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
schroedinger

Post by schroedinger » 25 Jun 2002, 19:28

R. J. Kimmel wrote:Jewish organizations have been trying for years to have David Irving and his books banned... Gee, book banning sounds familiar.
Can you give me some information which Jewish organizations have tried to ban Irving and his books?

The only thing I know about Irving and banning is that he sued Deborah Lipstadt for her book and tried to prevent the publication of a book by Richard Evans by threatening the publishing houses.

Scott Smith

ILLEGAL HISTORY...

Post by Scott Smith » 25 Jun 2002, 19:53

schroedinger wrote:
R. J. Kimmel wrote:Jewish organizations have been trying for years to have David Irving and his books banned... Gee, book banning sounds familiar.
Can you give me some information which Jewish organizations have tried to ban Irving and his books?

The only thing I know about Irving and banning is that he sued Deborah Lipstadt for her book and tried to prevent the publication of a book by Richard Evans by threatening the publishing houses.
He had one mainstream Jewish publisher after another cancel their contracts for Goebbels on account of Lipstadt's "Denier" libel as the excuse.

Mainstream publishers are businesses and are not technically bound to any code of ethics, as librarians for example, but depend upon a reputation for intellectual diversity, even if ill-deserved. Of course, now Irving is banned in various foreign countries as a "Holocaust Denier," which is illegal, and therefore some of his works are unavailable, though he has never written a book on the Holocaust.
:)

Charles Bunch

Re: ILLEGAL HISTORY...

Post by Charles Bunch » 25 Jun 2002, 20:01

Scott Smith wrote:
schroedinger wrote:

He had one mainstream Jewish publisher after another cancel their contracts for Goebbels on account of Lipstadt's "Denier" libel as the excuse.

Mainstream publishers are businesses and are not technically bound to any code of ethics, as librarians for example, but depend upon a reputation for intellectual diversity, even if ill-deserved. Of course, now Irving is banned in various foreign countries as a "Holocaust Denier," which is illegal, and therefore some of his works are unavailable, though he has never written a book on the Holocaust.
Publishers deciding not to publish a book is not banning it. But it is not suprising that publishers would begin to shy away from an historian whose work was shown to be so deliberately biased, and occasionally dishonest.

Nothing was done _to_ Irving that he hasn't attempted _against _Lipstadt, Evans, and Gitta Sereny. The only publishing rights Irving and his supporters are concerned about are Irving's.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 25 Jun 2002, 20:12

Charles Bunch wrote:
Scott Smith wrote:
schroedinger wrote:

Publishers deciding not to publish a book is not banning it. But it is not suprising that publishers would begin to shy away from an historian whose work was shown to be so deliberately biased, and occasionally dishonest.

Nothing was done _to_ Irving that he hasn't attempted _against _Lipstadt, Evans, and Gitta Sereny. The only publishing rights Irving and his supporters are concerned about are Irving's.
No, it is not banning it. But Irving had longstanding agreements with publishers and ultimately had to self-publish Goebbels. That Jewish publishers suddenly had concerns about his honesty is laughable considering the amount of marketable garbage they continue to publish. Irving is biased but so are Lipstadt, Evans, and Sereny. Big deal.

Charles Bunch

Post by Charles Bunch » 25 Jun 2002, 20:51

Scott Smith wrote:
Charles Bunch wrote:
Scott Smith wrote:
schroedinger wrote:

No, it is not banning it. But Irving had longstanding agreements with publishers and ultimately had to self-publish Goebbels. That Jewish publishers suddenly had concerns about his honesty is laughable considering the amount of marketable garbage they continue to publish. Irving is biased but so are Lipstadt, Evans, and Sereny. Big deal.
His longstanding agreements were entered into before close examination of his work revealed his lack of scholarship. The argument that some garbage is published is not convincing. After all, they once published his garbage.

It is odd that you convert my statement about publishers to Jewish publishers. It says a lot about your point of view.

All writers are biased. Irving wasn't just biased, he was dishonest. Dishonesty is not made less so by worn out attempts at equivalency. Lipstadt, Evans and Sereny are not dishonest.

R. J. Kimmel
Banned

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 25 Jun 2002, 22:28

schroedinger wrote:

quote]

Yes... a few years back at one of the MAX Shows held in Pittsburgh PA. I believe that the Jewish Organization that allegedly were the owners, or one of the major stockholders in the Radison Hotel and Convention Center where the MAX Show is held each year had put pressure on the show promoters to not allow David Irving to sell his books at the show. Mind you, David Irving had been a staunch supporter of this show for years and had taken tables almost each year selling his books. The MAX promoters did exactly what had been requested of them and David Irving immediately, that same day (weekend) went before a Federal Judge in Pittsburgh and was successful. This was an attempt by this Jewish organization to ban books, exactly what they accused the Germans of doing. Unfortunately, David Irving decided never to return to the MAX Show, which in my opinion is their loss, as well as those who attend the show. In my mind this places a stigma on this show. By the way, the Federal judge was Jewish.

RJK

schroedinger

Post by schroedinger » 25 Jun 2002, 23:01

R. J. Kimmel wrote:
schroedinger wrote:

quote]

Yes... a few years back at one of the MAX Shows held in Pittsburgh PA. I believe that the Jewish Organization that allegedly were the owners, or one of the major stockholders in the Radison Hotel and Convention Center where the MAX Show is held each year had put pressure on the show promoters to not allow David Irving to sell his books at the show. Mind you, David Irving had been a staunch supporter of this show for years and had taken tables almost each year selling his books. The MAX promoters did exactly what had been requested of them and David Irving immediately, that same day (weekend) went before a Federal Judge in Pittsburgh and was successful. This was an attempt by this Jewish organization to ban books, exactly what they accused the Germans of doing. Unfortunately, David Irving decided never to return to the MAX Show, which in my opinion is their loss, as well as those who attend the show. In my mind this places a stigma on this show. By the way, the Federal judge was Jewish.

RJK
You really must be an expert regarding Irving. I didn't manage to find anything about this story on Irving's own web site using such search terms as max, show and pittsburgh.

You can't remember where you have got the story from, can't you?

Charles Bunch

Post by Charles Bunch » 25 Jun 2002, 23:05

schroedinger wrote:
R. J. Kimmel wrote:
schroedinger wrote:

quote]

RJK
You really must be an expert regarding Irving. I didn't manage to find anything about this story on Irving's own web site using such search terms as max, show and pittsburgh.

http://www.codoh.com/irving/irvAR12.html

R. J. Kimmel
Banned

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 25 Jun 2002, 23:08

schroedinger wrote:[

Yes... it made headlines in most of the newspapers and I had participated in the MAX Show that year.

Drop David and e-mail and I'm certain that he will fill you in on the details.

RJK

R. J. Kimmel
Banned

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 25 Jun 2002, 23:13

Just got this from David Irvings Action Report

PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA-At my attorney's office I sign the new complaint against ExpoMart owners [who ordered my exclusion from the MAX show], claiming damages for breach of contract, tortious interference with a contract, breach of sublease, counsel fees and costs, and punitive damages.
As we leave, I ask Bob Garber if he's taken any grief over his victory [in September 1996, against the same defendants] on my behalf. His face darkens and he says he's lost several friends, who can't understand why he's acting for me. He sug- gests I might like even now to find another lawyer; adding that he will refuse to act for me against the ADL since he supports their activities.
At the Drawbridge hotel in Cincinnati, I run into MAX Show owner Tom Johnston. "David!, he exclaims. ~We're going to have to talk. He seems distraught, and says as we're still standing outside in the cold that the ExpoMart's billionaire owners have made it clear that if he lets me exhibit again in 1997 they will cancel both this MAX and all future shows.

schroedinger

Post by schroedinger » 25 Jun 2002, 23:13

Charles Bunch wrote:
schroedinger wrote:
R. J. Kimmel wrote:
schroedinger wrote:

RJK

Thanks, but this seems to be a commercial dispute where one side refused to continue a former business relationship. Where is the part about banning Irving or banning his books?

Victor´s Justice?

Post by Victor´s Justice? » 26 Jun 2002, 00:32

R. J. Kimmel wrote:Roberto... I figured this would be your cop out. In other words, you're not German, but simply hold a citizenship...!

I don't wish to read someone elses opinion on retrobution... I asked for yours...!

In your responses, you seem to have nothing original to say, you simply quote others, their writings and opinions. Even the various Jewish groups don't march in lockstep in their opinions of exactly what may have taken place.

RJK
Nothing new here, Roberto is a famous "quoter"; he doesn´t hold opinions, but just a fighter for his own ideological bubble, automatically going against those who criticize him, just by identifying their names.

I can name at least three German persons feeling strangled because of their "defeated state" or prohibition to say anything against Russia´s reoccupation of Prussia.

But, as usual, if you say anything against Israel, it´s wrong; if you criticize something about Jewry/Zionist groups as political powers, it´s wrong; and if you discuss in peaceful moods any of his reliable sources, you are only allowed to show other sources included in HIS panel of acceptable ideas...no need to stress anymore.

Charles Bunch

Post by Charles Bunch » 26 Jun 2002, 00:48

schroedinger wrote:
Charles Bunch wrote:
schroedinger wrote:
R. J. Kimmel wrote:
schroedinger wrote: Can you give me some information which Jewish organizations have tried to ban Irving and his books?

RJK

Thanks, but this seems to be a commercial dispute where one side refused to continue a former business relationship. Where is the part about banning Irving or banning his books?
Exactly!

Scott Smith

PHILISTINES and FUNDAMENTALISTS...

Post by Scott Smith » 26 Jun 2002, 03:55

Charles wrote:It is odd that you convert my statement about publishers to Jewish publishers. It says a lot about your point of view.
Let's be honest here. Lipstadt has revealed herself for the sectarian ideologue that she is and few Gentiles are really any longer interested in any of her historical catechism.
All writers are biased. Irving wasn't just biased, he was dishonest. Dishonesty is not made less so by worn out attempts at equivalency. Lipstadt, Evans and Sereny are not dishonest.
I'm willing to ignore that Lipstadt, Evans and Sereny are dishonest because they are ideologues. A person may believe his/her own B.S. and that's not lying.

Irrespective of that troika then, what is it about Irving's Goebbels: Mastermind of the Third Reich do you find dishonest?

Disagreeing with someone's views does not make them a liar.

Charles Bunch

Re: Smith and Ignorance

Post by Charles Bunch » 26 Jun 2002, 05:03

Scott Smith wrote:
Charles wrote:It is odd that you convert my statement about publishers to Jewish publishers. It says a lot about your point of view.
Let's be honest here. Lipstadt has revealed herself for the sectarian ideologue that she is and few Gentiles are really any longer interested in any of her historical catechism.
You say let's be honest and then you spout nonsense!

The fact is you attempted to characterize publishers unwillingness to publish Irving as a product of Jewish publishers.

Now you pretend to have your finger on the pulse of Gentiles, while ignoring your original point. You don't know what Gentiles are interested in any more than anyone else.

Next time you invoke honesty, try a little.

Bunch
Smith
I'm willing to ignore that Lipstadt, Evans and Sereny are dishonest because they are ideologues. A person may believe his/her own B.S. and that's not lying.
Bunch
That first sentence is utterly incomprehensible. That fact is Irving has been shown to be dishonest. The others have not.

Smith
Irrespective of that troika then, what is it about Irving's Goebbels: Mastermind of the Third Reich do you find dishonest?
I haven't read most of it.

Nor does agreeing with them make them not a liar. Irving is a multiple liar.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”