The crime of Erich Priebke

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
ladycplum

Re: The crime of Erich Priebke

Post by ladycplum » 30 Oct 2013, 14:57

I read last week that his body was taken from the church his memorial services were held out, anyone know anything about that?
"The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand"-Paul Weller

Ljotrulf

Post by Ljotrulf » 30 Oct 2013, 15:20

Priebke had many years to reflect on his crimes which the trials revealed involved active participation in the execution of two victims rather than merely being the man with the clip board. Still he must surely have wondered why he was elevated to the status of major war criminal when the head of the Execution Commando Carl-Theodor Schuetz (a veteran of Einsatzkommando actions in Poland and the Ukraine) escaped punishment aside from losing his well paid job with the Bundesnachrichtendienst with only DM70,000 compensation.

Carnaro

Post by Carnaro » 30 Oct 2013, 16:25

To Ladycplum

well, the situation is quite confused.
The quasi-private funeral was to be officiated at Albano Laziale by a Lefebvrian priest, in a little chapel formally closed to the public. However, the rage of a group of protesters led by some far-left activist and the contextual arrival at Albano of a little group of far-right supporters, induced the priest to suspend the cerimony (that apparently has been replaced, late in the night by a rapid blessing of the coffin); subsequently, the coffin has been transferred to the Air Force base of Pratica di Mare, near Rome , waiting for further decisions.
Currently it seems that the coffin has been buried in a secret place.

max

ladycplum

Post by ladycplum » 31 Oct 2013, 06:02

Carnaro wrote:To Ladycplum

well, the situation is quite confused.
The quasi-private funeral was to be officiated at Albano Laziale by a Lefebvrian priest, in a little chapel formally closed to the public. However, the rage of a group of protesters led by some far-left activist and the contextual arrival at Albano of a little group of far-right supporters, induced the priest to suspend the cerimony (that apparently has been replaced, late in the night by a rapid blessing of the coffin); subsequently, the coffin has been transferred to the Air Force base of Pratica di Mare, near Rome , waiting for further decisions.
Currently it seems that the coffin has been buried in a secret place.

max
Interesting, thanks for the info. The problems with a lot of the burial places of the Nazis and their collaborators is that they tend to become shrines to the far-right and Neo-Nazis, like the Hess family plot was. (When Walther Rauff died in Chile he was buried by a group of former comrades who sent him off with a group Hitlergruß) So wherever he is finally buried, if his grave is marked, I have a feeling those of like minds will probably try to turn it into a pilgrimage site.
"The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand"-Paul Weller

Ljotrulf

Post by Ljotrulf » 31 Oct 2013, 22:30

It remains to be seen what becomes of the grave of Erich Priebke, a fate largely determined by the intentions of extremists on the far-left and far-right. If the location remains secret for long enough then there is a good chance that he will be allowed to rest in peace unmolested by extremists much like his former boss Herbert Kappler, who rests in a marked grave, largely forgotten, in a wooden cemetery of a North German town.

anondragon2012

Post by anondragon2012 » 01 Nov 2013, 22:50

I've read all the 7 pages of this thread, It was a passionately interesting read where I learned quite a bit about Priebke.
From a legal point of view, the issue seems quite over and out.

The issue left is only political in nature, one can only say that based on the news I have watched, the proceedings and treatment of the dead man have been quite barbaric and un-Christian. I am not quite sure what these "Anti-fascist" attempt to achieve or if it will help the victims in anyway to behave like this.

As a Catholic, I think the dead should rest in piece, of all political parties.
RIP Priebke RIP Victims
Each fought for their Fatherlands in a dreadful war which I hope will never touch the European soil again.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”