Massacre at Amritsar 1919

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
John W

Post by John W » 02 Oct 2003, 22:51

Matt H. wrote:
Are you claiming the British had problems with executions of women?
The public in 1914 certainly did. Isn't that the topic of discussion here?
(You know as well as I do where I am coming from but I will state it for the board)

Just what RMS said "executing women in Amritsar". This isn't false. Why didn't the "public" protest and raise a hue and cry about British treatment of women then?

John

PS: This is getting offtopic and if you wish we can continue this over PM :)

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 02 Oct 2003, 23:08

Thinking about it, there have been plenty of allegations that the Amritsar incident was a war crime, and this forum deals with both WWI and WWII. If the readers are interested and no one objects, we could start a separate thread on the subject here.

Matt H.

Post by Matt H. » 02 Oct 2003, 23:18

Just what RMS said "executing women in Amritsar". This isn't false. Why didn't the "public" protest and raise a hue and cry about British treatment of women then?
The British Commander-in-Chief for India recommended that General Dyer be ordered to retire. This decision was put forward to both the Army Council and the Cabinet, both of which approved and backed the measures.

The text of Sir Winston Churchill's speech to the House of Commons on July 8th 1920 can be viewed here:
http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/churchill/am-text.htm
Sir Winston Churchill wrote:Coming to the case of General Dyer, it will be seen that he was removed from his appointment by the Commander-in-Chief in India; that he was passed over by the Selection Board in India for promotion; that he was informed, as hundreds of officers are being and have been informed, that there was no prospect of further employment for him under the Government of India; and that, in consequence, he reverted automatically to half-pay. These proceedings were brought formally to the notice of the Army council by a letter from the India Office, which recommended, further, that he should be retired from the Army, and by a telegram from the Commander-in-Chief in India, which similarly recommended that he should be ordered to retire.

R.M. Schultz

Post by R.M. Schultz » 04 Oct 2003, 02:49

Sir Winston Churchill wrote:Coming to the case of General Dyer …These proceedings were brought formally to the notice of the Army council by a letter from the India Office, which recommended, further, that he should be retired from the Army, and by a telegram from the Commander-in-Chief in India, which similarly recommended that he should be ordered to retire.
And, did the British judges at Nürnberg recommend early retirement for Sauckel and Seyss-Inquart or did they demand something more severe?

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 04 Oct 2003, 03:15

RM -- There's a difference between obviously poor judgment and a provable crime. There's a difference between a one-time incident of shooting people who are demonstrating (Amritsar) and administering a sprawling slave labor operation over a period of three years, like Sauckel did. There's also a substantial difference in scale between the Amritsar massacre and the Nazi slave labor program, not only in deaths but in sustained ill-treatment and misery. Seyss-Inquart's crimes, first in occupied Poland and then in the Netherlands, involved hundreds of thousands of deaths, not a few hundred, and were not a single incident but instead took place over a 6 year period. I think an analogy between the Amritsar massacre and the crimes of Sauckel and Seyss-Inquart is misplaced.

R.M. Schultz

Post by R.M. Schultz » 04 Oct 2003, 04:52

David Thompson wrote:RM -- There's a difference between obviously poor judgment and a provable crime … I think an analogy between the Amritsar massacre and the crimes of Sauckel and Seyss-Inquart is misplaced.
I will concede to you a vast quantitative difference, but not a qualitative difference. My larger point is that imperialism (if it is to be successful) always leads to genocide. Ultimately, when push came to shove, the British had not the stomach for genocide and thus were forced to liquidate their empire.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 04 Oct 2003, 04:59

RM -- Your larger point is well-taken. My disagreement was with the Nuernberg analogy.

Matt H.

Post by Matt H. » 04 Oct 2003, 13:47

Do not attack me for what Sir Winston Churchill stated! I'd advise you to read the full text of the speech before coming to damning conclusions about the British response.
Sir Winston Churchill wrote:However we may dwell upon the difficulties of General Dyer during the Amritsar riots, upon the anxious and critical situation in the Punjab, upon the danger to Europeans throughout that province, upon the long delays, which have taken place in reaching a decision about this officer, upon the procedure that was at this point or at that point adopted, however we may dwell upon all this, one tremendous fact stands out - I mean the slaughter of nearly 400 persons and the wounding of probably three to four times as many, at the Jallian Wallah Bagh on 13th April. That is an episode, which appears to me to be without precedent or parallel in the modern history of the British Empire. It is an event of an entirely different order from any of those tragical occurrences which take place when troops are brought into collision with the civil population. It is an extraordinary event, a monstrous event, an event, which stands in singular and sinister isolation.
Neither Churchill, nor any other member of the Cabinet or Army Council attempted to downplay what occured at Amritsar, but look into the British response before you condemn it. You'll see that many were involved in the process and that numerous bodies were consulted, political and miltary.
Last edited by Matt H. on 07 Oct 2003, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

R.M. Schultz

Post by R.M. Schultz » 04 Oct 2003, 21:56

Sir Winston Churchill wrote:… It is an event of an entirely different order from any of those tragical occurrences which take place when troops are brought into collision with the civil population. It is an extraordinary event, a monstrous event, an event, which stands in singular and sinister isolation.
What he is saying here is that genocide does not go hand-in-hand with imperialism and that is just nonsense. The British have long pretended that their occupation of India was benevolent and that is just a hoax, as anyone who has studied the British conquest knows. Because of their divide-and-conquer techniques, the legacy of British Imperialism remains to this day in the fratricidal conflicts in Ireland, Palestine, India/Pakistan, Cyprus, Surinam, Iraq, Zimbabwe and South Africa. You can try to paper-over this with disingenuous speeches, but the record is clear: Imperialism means Genocide.

John W

Post by John W » 05 Oct 2003, 00:05

R.M. Schultz wrote:You can try to paper-over this with disingenuous speeches, but the record is clear: Imperialism means Genocide.
Don't bother. I doubt the otherside is willing to listen.

And before anyone falls upon my throat:

Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Best,
John

Matt H.

Post by Matt H. » 05 Oct 2003, 00:26

Well, I'm so sorry for posting the text of the actual inquiry and the like, but what happened at Amritsar was a unique occurance in British rule in India since the Sepoy Mutiny of 1856-57. I neither denied nor downplayed the actions of General Reginald Dyer, and I have posted adequate evidence to show that he was reprimanded by more than one British body, the main two being the Army Council and the Cabinet. General Dyer was most definately not typical of British officers or the British Army, quite the opposite is true. Take some time to conduct a serious study into the history of the British Army.
Don't bother. I doubt the otherside is willing to listen.
I am willing to listen, otherwise I would not be replying. I am merely presenting my opinion based on evidence I have posted previously in this thread. I didn't know having differing opinions to you constituted a crime.
Because of their divide-and-conquer techniques, the legacy of British Imperialism remains to this day in the fratricidal conflicts in Ireland, Palestine, India/Pakistan, Cyprus, Surinam, Iraq, Zimbabwe and South Africa. You can try to paper-over this with disingenuous speeches, but the record is clear: Imperialism means Genocide.
The history of Ireland extends far beyond even the creation of Great Briain in 1707, all the way back to Edward II.

India and Pakistan? Our government should have allowed Lord Mountbatten greater independence with which to assess and control the situation.

Palestine? I suppose you are unaware of the massive demands upon the British administration to allow open, free-flowing Jewish immigration, and how Arab and Jewish militants deliberately targeted British soldiers (see the King David Hotel bombing).

Iraq? Surinam? Cyprus? British troops are still stationed on Cyprus, as are the RAF, but I suppose that's oppression now?

John W

Post by John W » 05 Oct 2003, 00:36

Matt H. wrote:I am willing to listen, otherwise I would not be replying. I am merely presenting my opinion based on evidence I have posted previously in this thread. I didn't know having differing opinions to you constituted a crime.
I should have followed that post of mine with a " :P " or a " ;) "
Matt H. wrote:India and Pakistan? Our government should have allowed Lord Mountbatten greater independence with which to assess and control the situation.
Here's where I think you are wrong mate. Even if Mountbatten was given complete freedom, there was nothing he could have done. The seeds had already been sown and the sapling was becoming a tree. When a man like M K Gandhi couldn't have stopped it, you seriously think Mountbatten had a chance?

And in anycase, why was Lord Mountbatten NOT granted that freedom? I think we both know the answer now :)

John

Matt H.

Post by Matt H. » 05 Oct 2003, 00:41

Mountbatten did not want the split to occur. That much is obvious, but Labour's demands were uncompromising, look back to the situation Palestine if you need assurance - the US was also split on that issue, so the British administration were not alone in their convictions.

John W

Post by John W » 05 Oct 2003, 01:06

Matt H. wrote:Mountbatten did not want the split to occur.That much is obvious
I concur. I never said that Lord Louis was all for the idea of Partition. All I said was that there was nothing much he could have done about it.
Matt H. wrote:but Labour's demands were uncompromising, look back to the situation Palestine if you need assurance - the US was also split on that issue, so the British administration were not alone in their convictions.
I somehow fail to see the relevence of this point (The US) or maybe I have not understood it.

Why (and what were) Labour's demands so "uncompromising" ?

John

Matt H.

Post by Matt H. » 05 Oct 2003, 01:12

Labour were insistent on the withdrawal of British forces as soon as possible after the war, and they conjured up policies themselves rather than allowing the local British administrations to take greater control. This was a general phenomenon post-1945 across the Empire.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”