Red Army and NKVD torture & killing methods

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Panzermahn

Red Army and NKVD torture & killing methods

Post by Panzermahn » 20 Oct 2003, 05:49

Do anyone had any sources of the torture and killing methods employed by the Red Army and the NKVD on captured Axis soldiers as well as the so called kulaks and political reactionaries?

I had a book by Colin Wilson, The Most Evil Men (chapter on Iosif Vissarionovich Dzugashvilli) that polish officers that were killed on Katyn, some of them were stuff with oakum in the mouth and then burned to save bullets...anybody had more?

Alexander

Re: Red Army and NKVD torture & killing methods

Post by Alexander » 20 Oct 2003, 14:34

panzermahn wrote:Do anyone had any sources of the torture and killing methods employed by the Red Army and the NKVD on captured Axis soldiers as well as the so called kulaks and political reactionaries?

I had a book by Colin Wilson, The Most Evil Men (chapter on Iosif Vissarionovich Dzugashvilli) that polish officers that were killed on Katyn, some of them were stuff with oakum in the mouth and then burned to save bullets...anybody had more?
I can recommend you a very good book which descriptes methods of NKVD (OGPU in 30-s). It is called "Eden garden" (I don't know how to translate it properly, in ukrainian
it is "Сад Гетсиманський" ), the author is Ivan Bagryaniy. Bagryanyi was repressed in 1930-s, and this book depicts his life in soviet prison. You can't even imagine the things described in this book. Guys from OGPU really knew their work :x

Toivo

Post by Toivo » 20 Oct 2003, 15:53

Hey,
In books by Arved Viirlaid (estonian writer who lives in Canada, so his books have been published in english and many other languages too), mainly those which describe life of Erik Heine (waffen-ss officer who was accused in warcrimes with false information) after when he was captured by soviet troops in 1944. He was forced to march to soil of soviet union from Estonia along with other prisoners while being wounded. He spent several years in various camps which tortured him and other prisoners. He managed to escape but was recaptured. After years he was transfered to notorious Patarei prison in Estonia.

To be brief there are several books in series from "Ghost in Chains" to "Who killed Erik Holm?" (Erik Holm was character based on Heine in those books). You can read from there brutality of NKVD/MVD and other institutions on iirrigation and in camps, from 1940 to 1953 when Stalin died.
Now I'm afraid there are no documentally proved facts, just stories of prisoners. I mention this because many historians (or whatever they call themselves, researchers maybe) and several members of this forum deny any brutality of soviet or allied troops as long as they are not proved with piece of paper.
I in the other hand believe those stories in those books as I have talked to many former prisoners of GULAG who suffered from NKVD.

Also very good book describing brutality of NKVD torturing is "Graves without crosses" again by Viirlaid.
Just as side note to those who may be touched by this post - I know many of NKVD/MVD/GPU personel especially dealing with irrigation were selected criminals, known for their brutality. Also, after war ended and soviet union was in hard times, many NKVD and camps-guards were angry over what germans had done (they had lost relatives or home or both), plus Soviet Union was in economically hard situation - even own populations suffered hunger, so it's understandable why POWs and other prisoners were living in especially extreme circumstances.

Regards

Tamari

Re: Red Army and NKVD torture & killing methods

Post by Tamari » 04 Nov 2020, 01:57

Hello,

if someone is interested in the career and fate of Erik Heine who served with SS-PzGrenBat NARWA and SS-PzGrenReg 45, with the below mentioned link who can find douzens of documents about him:

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom ... site/Heine

Best regards

Robert

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”