Nazi Anti-Partisan Reprisals in Italy 1944

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 08 Nov 2003 16:44

Let's get back on topic -- Italy, 1944.

c.g.

Post by c.g. » 08 Nov 2003 17:00

Shouldn't we stop discussing here today's America's policies vs. Iraq or Afghanistan?
C.G.

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 09 Nov 2003 02:04

Shouldn't we stop discussing here today's America's policies vs. Iraq or Afghanistan?
C.G.

I introduced the comparison with current policies of the United States as a means of illustrating the position taken by the German Government towards Italian partisans taken in arms fighting against its forces in 1944.

That is a legitimate way of explaining an event in the past. The way of thinking of a foreign government in the past, with which we are not familiar and which therefore seems strange and incomprehensible to us, can be made comprehensible through a comparison with the way of thinking of a government in the present, with which we are familiar.

Such a comparison does not imply that the ways of thinking of the two governments are exactly the same; what it does do is show the points of similarity of thought in a similar situation, that of fighting an unconventional enemy.

I do not intend to become involved in a discussion on current policies of the United States. Nor do I intend to address the issue of the legality or morality of the policies of either the German Government in 1944 or of the United States Government in 2003 adopted in response to the problem of invading a foreign country and engaging in guerilla warfare with unconvential forces based in that country. My concern is to identify the factors that induced both governments to take a similar attitude toward irregular forces which opposed their respective invasions, and the factors that created both similarities and differences in the actions of the forces of the two governments, eg the constraints that have prevented the forces of the United States from summarily executing "illegal combatants", in contrast with the practice of German forces in Italy in 1944.

You will note that in all cases where I mentioned current policies of the United States Government, I did so in the context of comparing them with German Government policies in Italy in 1944, the topic of this thread.

gabriel pagliarani

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 09 Nov 2003 16:47

Syllogism:
1-the war is always a break-point in law
2-invader's law against defender's law
3- but only a law is effective at the end: the winner's one
Consequently at the end:
4= (1+2+3)
"Illegal combatants" were not partizans, but Nazis. :roll:
There is something wrong in this real-political point of view?

pgerard

Re: Nazi Anti-Partisan Reprisals in Italy 1944

Post by pgerard » 19 Apr 2012 05:25

Hello participants in the thread -especially perhaps c.g.
I have a personal interest in the subject 'Italian campaign' from the angle Panzer-Division 'Hermann Göring' as I believe my father was a part of this division.
I have just submitted this forum, and can therefor not mail anybody directly, but I have a large interest in knowing more about the sources and how to get further and more detailed information about the whole campaign and the division mentioned above especially.
Perhaps you can mail me direct inhere?
Greetings

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 21 Sep 2015 01:47

Gentlemen -- The topic is "Nazi Anti-Partisan Reprisals in Italy 1944," not somewhere else. Please stay on the subject.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 22 Sep 2015 01:09

A collection of posts, continuing an off-topic discussion after a warning, now have a thread of their own:

The German Resistance and war crimes
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=218047

Fallen
Financial supporter

Post by Fallen » 22 Nov 2017 22:44

This post helps to dispel the notion advanced by some that there was a scarcity of trials related to war crimes that took place in Italy. (Note that the thread doesn't delve into much about the trials initiated by Italian justice system.)

Joda

Post by Joda » 29 Dec 2017 15:01

Hallo,
I take the occasion fo this one thread for a question:
Is there any documented info about the role of I/(Geb) Art Rgt 661 (114.Jäger Div) in anti partisan actions?
thanks in advance;
Marco

Fallen
Financial supporter

Post by Fallen » 29 Dec 2017 18:53

I'm afraid all I can come up with easily is a book written by Helmut Rusch:

https://www.amazon.de/Artillerie-Regime ... B0079G2VQY

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”