Beheadings in the Third Reich

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Piotr1

Re: Beheadings in the Third Reich

Post by Piotr1 » 26 Nov 2011 17:54

As I know the fallbeil is rather permanently dismantled from fifties and never was exposed.
Only twice was assembled for movie production purposes-lately in 2011. I guess all parts are original but some small disappeared :-(
The weight frame/blade complex 51 or 60 kg ? I have no idea....

Kalwejt

Post by Kalwejt » 26 Nov 2011 21:43

By the way, could anyone tell me in which cities of Polish territories annexed to the Reich after 1939 guillotine sites were located? I've read once that Katowice were the only site, but it seems unlikely.

Piotr1

Post by Piotr1 » 26 Nov 2011 22:23

Katowice i Poznan. także Wroclaw i Gdańsk

Pete26

Vienna vs Katowice fallbeil basins

Post by Pete26 » 27 Nov 2011 03:53

andreobrecht wrote:Here is a photo I believe is the real Vienna fallbeil. Does the commentator in the video above describe where the fallbeil is displayed and does he mention it is a copy? My German is mediocre at best... The title implies it the Vienna fallbeil.

Compare the basin on the Katowice fallbeil with the basin on the Vienna fallbeil. But the fallbeil in this video has a large basin, just like the Katowice fallbeil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiVEktbeUT4

Both have a vertical pull rod for the blade release. Vienna and Pankrac fallbeils have a short horizontal blade release levers and shallower basins.

lokman

Post by lokman » 29 Nov 2011 00:00

Apologies if this has been posted before - unusual picture of Johann Reichhart

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/rhein-main/f ... 35735.html

Pete26

Post by Pete26 » 29 Nov 2011 00:18

Thanks Lokman, a very interesting photo, looks like it was taken some time after the WWII, maybe in the late 50s? or early 60s? The setting appears to be a hospital, and Reichardt appears to be weak and walking with a cane.

The article mentions that Reichardt guillotined about 300 Wehrmacht deserters.
Last edited by Pete26 on 29 Nov 2011 00:45, edited 2 times in total.

Pete26

A few Pankrac photos, including a large photo of Alois Weiss

Post by Pete26 » 29 Nov 2011 00:21

http://www.blesk.cz/clanek/zpravy-udalo ... jmeni.html

From the article:

"In 1953, 8 years after the War, the regional court in Regensburg received the following written request:

As a result of repealing the death penalty law in Germany I have no chance to perform my duties as an executioner. Last but not least, since nobody formally did away with my position as an executioner, I still feel like an executioner, and therefore have a right to receive appropriate salary. "

The originator of this request was none other than the Pankrac prison executioner Alois Weiss.

Piotr1

Re: A few Pankrac photos, including a large photo of Alois W

Post by Piotr1 » 29 Nov 2011 17:57

[quote="Pete26"]http://www.blesk.cz/clanek/zpravy-udalo ... jmeni.html

The article is a fragment from the book "Wittness from death row" by Stanislav Motl
many informations also about scharfrichters and also from german archives...

http://kultura.idnes.cz/stanislav-motl- ... eratura_ob

Paul53

Post by Paul53 » 30 Nov 2011 20:37

Pete, we have seen this video before somewhere..the caretaker explains the working of the machine,he does not indicate that it is a replica...it is some rare Dutch video from the "90"s..."the convict is placed on the bench, face down,the strap on his forehead,the executioner pulls the lever, the head is separated from the trunk and falls into the basin.-"

My apologies for not having contributed to this forum for so long.I was hoping to share the translation duties with Crow, but as he had his accident...I guess it would be best to simply continue translations while Crow is recovering...

In this period, In Berlin the beheadings were carried through with a Handbeil, the so called Richtbeil.As Krautz did not posess his own Richtbeil at this point, he borrowed from the Märkisches Museum a copie from the Beil of the former Magdeburger executioner Wilhelm Reindel( the Block and the Beil are momentarely exposed in this Museum)Soon after that Krautz got his own Beil.
Last edited by Paul53 on 01 Dec 2011 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

Paul53

Post by Paul53 » 30 Nov 2011 20:58

Other sources reported that Krautz already hec his own Beil at the time of Hödels execution, a Beil that had a 44 centimeters wide edge,and nine pounds of weight.It was not necessary to swing the Beil wide over the executioners" head, a short lifting up was all that it took.

Pete26

Post by Pete26 » 01 Dec 2011 00:18

Paul53 wrote:Soon after that Krautz became his own Beil.
Sharp guy, that Krautz.

Seriously though, you meant "Soon after that Krautz obtained his own Beil."

Paul53

Post by Paul53 » 01 Dec 2011 08:38

yes,of course, sorry for that-things just are not going too well here...I am just having a dip.

Pete26

Post by Pete26 » 02 Dec 2011 14:13

Paul53 wrote:yes,of course, sorry for that-things just are not going too well here...I am just having a dip.
No problem, I was just trying to inject a bit of humor into this morbid topic. I hope you are doing OK? I am looking forward to more translations.

svenga

Post by svenga » 02 Dec 2011 19:01

Hello everyone,

I have been watching this forum for the past few months now but only just registered today, over this time i worked my way through the 200 odd pages on beheadings in the reich. I to have found myself interested in this morbid and dark subject, in particular the german Fallbeil. My interest came from a rather strange dream, in which i had a miniature french guillotine. I have been scale modelling for many years now and decided to make the dream come true and create this device, and so i did. However during my research i became familiar with the fallbeil, i have already had a strong interest in the reich and ww2 (i collect private purchase totenkopf rings, not the fantasy junk, the real deal) so this added to my knowledge. To be honest i have found myself becoming slightly obsessed and have searched the entire internet, books, and alike so seek more information. And this topic has been the icing on the cake! a credit to the guys who have been in this business and know so much on the subject.

Anyway, already building models regulary i decided to make a start 1/6th fallbeil, the same kind of thing you see on the internet already. My model is losely based on the brandenburg? fallbeil (an 1854 model) and when finished will be constructed from mild steel, stainless steel, brass, alluminium, and oak. All being well the model will hopefuly sever a few action men heads :D

Attached are pictures of my progress so far, i will keep updating here for you guys to see.

Pete26

Notice of execution of 4 Czech resistance fighters

Post by Pete26 » 03 Dec 2011 04:49

Josef Srtka, Gustav Svoboda, Alois Machacek, and Vaclav Adam were were guillotined in Plotzensee prison on 1 June 1943. The time it took to perform each execution is stated as well (14 to 16 seconds).

http://www.gedenkstaette-ploetzensee.de ... 10_dt.html

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”