Partisan war-crime against KWB 2/44

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
K.Kocjancic

Partisan war-crime against KWB 2/44

Post by K.Kocjancic » 20 Nov 2003, 12:39

Maxis wrote:
Mark V. wrote: ...in June 1944, id est the same month when SS-Karstwehr Battalion was thrown in the anti-partisan operation "Annemarie" against Sebrelje and Cerkno, a small patrol of young SS-Karstjäger recruits under SS-Unterscharführer Albert Horeth was ambushed in a small village north of Cividale.

Following my infos, this fact happened on february 1944 (during a snowing day and before Sebrelje fact) in area Selva di Tarnova. Patrol was formed with 15 Jagers:

two fm 2 Kp
nine fm 3 kp
four fm 4 kp

An anonymous letter was delivered to KJ command some days after massacre, indicating spot of the crime. Neverthless a snow storm, bodies were founded: heads, mostly, cut-off, picked on bayonets and emerging fm snow. Funeral procession was made in Sagrado
They were very young 18/20 y.o. and were buried into Fogliano’s cemetery with death data 19/2/1944. Then were translated to Costermano sul Garda, where they still rest in peace.

Heinrich Albert
Julius Benz
Ernst Bormann
Andreas Dorfler
Stefan Gubansk
Gerhard Hirsch
Hans Krellner
Mathias Kirmeier
Franz Meierhofer
Werner Messinger
Mustafa Muratovich
Johann Ramsauer
Herbert Schmidt
Hans Schoger
Willi Telmann

Best
Max
Timo Worst wrote:
MAXIS wrote:They were very young 18/20 y.o. and were buried into Fogliano’s cemetery with death data 19/2/1944. Then were translated to Costermano sul Garda, where they still rest in peace.

Nachname: Albert
Vorname: Heinrich
Dienstgrad: Sturmmann
Geburtsdatum: 29.07.1924
Geburtsort:
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 19.02.1944
Todesort:
Heinrich Albert ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Costermano (Italien) .
Endgrablage: Block 2 Grab 1186

Nachname: Benz
Vorname: Julius
Dienstgrad: Unterscharführer
Geburtsdatum: 28.03.1924
Geburtsort:
Todesort:
Julius Benz ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Costermano (Italien) .
Endgrablage: Block 2 Grab 1188

Nachname: Bormann
Vorname: Ernst
Geburtsdatum: 28.09.1924
Geburtsort:
Todesort:
Ernst Bormann ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Costermano (Italien) .
Endgrablage: Block 2 Grab 1203

Andreas Dorfler is not listed

Franz Meierhofer is not listed

Nachname: Messinger
Vorname: Werner
Dienstgrad: Oberschütze
Geburtsdatum: 1925
Geburtsort:
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 02.03.1944
Todesort:
Werner Messinger ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Costermano (Italien)Endgrablage: Block 2 Grab 1205

Stefan Gubansk is not listed

Nachname: Hirsch
Vorname: Gerhard
Geburtsdatum: 13.07.1922
Geburtsort:
Todesort:
Gerhard Hirsch ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Costermano (Italien) .
Endgrablage: Block 2 Grab 1190

Nachname: Krellner
Vorname: Hans
Geburtsdatum: 29.09.1922
Geburtsort:
Todesort:
Hans Krellner ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Costermano (Italien) .
Endgrablage: Block 2 Grab 1192

Nachname: Kirmaier
Vorname: Mathias
Geburtsdatum: 1920
Geburtsort:
Todesort:
Mathias Kirmaier ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Costermano (Italien) .
Endgrablage: Block 2 Grab 1189

Mustafa Muratovich is not listed

Nachname: Ramsauer
Vorname: Hans
Dienstgrad: Jäger
Geburtsdatum: 17.07.1925
Geburtsort:
Todesort:
Hans Ramsauer ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Costermano (Italien) .
Endgrablage: Block 2 Grab 1204

Nachname: Schmidt
Vorname: Herbert
Geburtsdatum: 04.04.1920
Geburtsort:
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 18.02.1944
Todesort:
Herbert Schmidt ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Costermano (Italien) .
Endgrablage: Block 2 Grab 1193

Hans Schoger is not listed

Willi (Wilhelm) Tellman is not listed

A remarkable number of Unterscharführer among these men.
http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopi ... 6&start=75

==========================================================================================

I found the info that only German offensive at this time was from 23.2. to 26.2.'44.

Does anyone know who killed those KWB soldiers? Slovenian or Italian Partisans? Was it Briško-beneški odred (detachment)?

Regards,
Kocjo

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 21 Nov 2003, 16:00

Here's some more info from Michaelis:

"At the end of January 1944 elements of SS-Karstwehrbataillon were alarmed to rescue a German Police unit, which was ambushed north of Komen (Kras). The partisans were already gone when the SS-Karstjägers arrived, they did however find 54 - some were mutilated - bodies of policemen (their clothes were stolen, some had broken arms and legs, genitals cut-off and eyes gouged out).

On 15th February 1944, during operation Ratta, the towns Komen and Rihemberk were thus burnt down, the population sent to work camps and three suspected partisans hanged. At the end of February the 3rd company (of KWB) was also ambushed but was able to retreat while suffering heavy losses?
The dead SS-Karstjägers, who fought till the last bullet, were buried in Redipuglia."

This basically coincides with c.g.'s KWB losses posted in another thread. Are there any similar figures available also for May and June 1944. Another interesting point no SS-Uscha Albert Horeth listed in Volksbund if that was really his name :? .

cheers

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 21 Nov 2003, 16:02

Thanks for your help!

I'm just reading history of BBO (Briško-beneški odred) and there is nothing on these 2 events (wonder why :wink: :lol: ).

LP,
Kocjo

c.g.

Post by c.g. » 22 Nov 2003, 00:47

The reason could be that there was no similar war crime. As I have written before, I checked all the Casualties lists of the Karstwehr-Battallion (from Sept. 43 to May 1944) and I must say that there is no trace of a similar action being perpetrated against the unit. Also no trace of Horeth and of a couple of the oher names mentioned.
As for the III./SS-Polizei 15 convoy ambushed near Komen, I have somewhere a report that I can check. As far as I can remember, here too are no trace of a war crime to be found. The bodies of the many policemen killed were however very badly burned, most of them beyond recognition (Many of the deads were Italians).
What is the source for the beheading of the patrol in February? I only know that PA Carnier writes about it, but he is an author that - to say the least - makes lots of mistakes in its books and seldom uses footnotes in its books.
My guess is that this story was brought about by veterans of the KWB probably to justify their beheading of partisans in Summer 1944. A crime that is definitely proven. Even the main perpetrator is known by name (he died in Germany a few years ago).
Just my 2 Eurocents
Regards
C.G.

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 22 Nov 2003, 00:53

c.g. wrote: Even the main perpetrator is known by name (he died in Germany a few years ago).
There was an article on him in a German magazine (IIRC Spiegel).

c.g.

Post by c.g. » 22 Nov 2003, 01:50

I didn't know about the article. I have the sentence that closed the German investigation a couple of years ago. I have a question regarding Lipa, I'll send you a PM.
Regards
C.G.

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 22 Nov 2003, 02:11

c.g. wrote:I didn't know about the article. I have the sentence that closed the German investigation a couple of years ago.
Maybe was the same article. But now if IIRC :? article was in Slovene - it was translation of German article. Yes, that's right. :)

Regards,
Kocjo

Bergmolch

Post by Bergmolch » 16 Oct 2006, 12:14

Sagrado' funeral from ebay.

Cheers
T
Attachments
KJ_funerale[2].JPG
KJ_funerale[2].JPG (234.21 KiB) Viewed 8641 times

Bergmolch

Post by Bergmolch » 16 Oct 2006, 12:17

backs
Attachments
KJ_funerale_retro[1].JPG
KJ_funerale_retro[1].JPG (191.75 KiB) Viewed 8636 times

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 16 Oct 2006, 12:33

Thanks!

Regards,
Klemen

Bergmolch

Post by Bergmolch » 16 Oct 2006, 12:57

You wellcome.

On Nava/Corbatti KJ book you can find a gruesome picture of a KJ burnt alive during the fightings against Tito's Partisans and if Im not wrong is related to that fact. A proven crime as well?

cheers
T

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 16 Oct 2006, 15:36

Thanks for the pictures, Tom. I'm not sure, are these from the same series as the ones in Nava/Corbatti?
On Nava/Corbatti KJ book you can find a gruesome picture of a KJ burnt alive during the fightings against Tito's Partisans and if Im not wrong is related to that fact. A proven crime as well?
As I don't have the book at hand, I'm also not sure if the pictures showing the dead soldiers aren't in fact showing the remains of III./SS-Polizei Rgt. 15 convoy near Komen mentioned above by c.g. There was an article about this incident several months ago in one of Slovenian respected "conservative" magazines and was comparing it with Drazgose (a village in Oberkrain/Slovenia which was in 1941 burnt down and its menfolk shoot as a reprisal for partisan action). In author's words the destroyed column was afterwards, much to the dismay of local population, set on fire by the partisans.

Marko

Bergmolch

Post by Bergmolch » 16 Oct 2006, 17:19

Mark V. wrote:Thanks for the pictures, Tom. I'm not sure, are these from the same series as the ones in Nava/Corbatti?
As I don't have the book at hand, I'm also not sure if the pictures showing the dead soldiers aren't in fact showing the remains of III./SS-Polizei Rgt. 15 convoy near Komen mentioned above by c.g. There was an article about this incident several months ago in one of Slovenian respected "conservative" magazines and was comparing it with Drazgose (a village in Oberkrain/Slovenia which was in 1941 burnt down and its menfolk shoot as a reprisal for partisan action). In author's words the destroyed column was afterwards, much to the dismay of local population, set on fire by the partisans.

Marko
Mark, I've haven't got the book at hand right now but is very likely the picture I have mentioned is shoving that convo; if I remember well it shows the remains of a bunch of Polizei/KJ and Italian soldiers. If somebody own that book and got at hand please double check and let us know.

I do not think the pics I have posted are from the same source of Nava Corbatti, actually they looks like private pics: If I remember well those on the book were more likely PK stuff.

Cheers
T

Bergmolch

Post by Bergmolch » 12 Oct 2007, 16:26

Muratowitsch Mustafa' is listed as KIA (Volksbund)

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 12 Oct 2007, 22:29

Well, here's what I managed to find thus far on the described incident. Most of credit goes to c.g., as the WAST data really proved invaluable both to refute the above mentioned claims and likewise for the explanation of events that did take place.

All of the fatalities occurred on 19th February in multiple localities all situated W of Tolmin on the current boder between Italy and Slovenia and not at Rifembergo/Rihemberk (See the attached map) and all of them were the result of combat wounds - no mutilations (see c.g. post with WAST data). What is known from the German sources is that the German HQ conducted anti-partisan operation "Alpenrose" in that same area on that day. The only other information available beside the WAST data is Kübler's report that a 60 man group got into troubles when it met stiff resistance S of Drenchia and two companies from 188.Res.Geb.Div. plus several He-111 were dispatched in the area (Di Giusto, p.386). That's it. But as the WAST data show all this relates to the SS-KWB (see also Di Giusto, Corbatti&Nava). Corbatti&Nava correctly interpret this, unfortunately they assume that the fighting didn't have any connection with the mentioned mutilated group. Here's the story:

At the start of February 1944 a partisan (30.) division (with 2 brigades and 1 in support) crossed the Isonzo/Soča river and began operating in Slavia Veneta (on the current Italian NE border with Slovenia and area with numerous Slovene population). In the second half of February it began returning back to Slovenia, what the German intelligence obviously didn't fail to notice and thus the HQ (probably Globocnik's) prepared an offensive against them on the approaches to the Isonzo river - Operation Alpenrose. The composition of units involved in it isn't exactly known but it would appear that only SS-Karstwehrbataillon together with minor parts of 188.Res.Geb.Div. and some support elements took part in it. The first fighting broke out in the evening of the 18th when a reconnaissance patrol from 1./KWB clashed with the partisans from the 19th Slovene "Srečko Kosovel" Brigade positions W of Tolmin around village Stregna (Srednje), the Karstjäger patrol suffered 2 KIA + 2 MIA (see WAST), the partisan losses are unknown. Based on the events on the next day it's reasonable to assume, the German reconnaissance correctly identified partisan positions, might have even correctly assessed the partisan strength and thus for the next day formed several attacking groups, two attacking partisan positions at Srednje from SE and NE (from Isonzo) and the third from W into the back of partisan positions. Things changed on the partisan side as during the night the division's command began to concentrate its units in the area around Srednje, and so another brigade - 18th (some 450 men in three battalions, one composed from ex red Army soldiers all well equipped) - joined the 19th brigade (around 900 men, well equipped) from the south and secured the latter's rear positions, this change proved crucial on the next day. In the early morning hours of the 19th February the Germans launched the operation as mentioned with 3 groups. The 3rd group (3./KWB) obviously unexpectedly ran onto very strong partisan positions, of the newly arrived 18th Brigade, along the old trenches from the WWI (Isonzo front), the KWB group (estimated by partisans 250-300 SS-soldiers) was soon forced into defense in the town Crai/Kraj where it was until noon almost completely encircled by the entire 18th Brigade. As mentioned the group signalled for help but it arrived too late, as the partisans stormed the town at 13.00 and overwhelmed the Germans and quite probably the partisan sources aren't that far away from the truth when they claim that the whole thing ended with a German rout. According to WAST data the 3./KWB had the following fatalities in Crai/Kraj:

SS-Sturmmann Heinrich Albert (KIA 19.2.'44 by partisans)* 3. Kp., Crai/Italien, Herzschuss, Infanterie-Geschoß
SS-Uscha. Julius Benz (KIA 19.2.'44 by partisans)* 3. Kp., Crai/Italien, Herzschuss, Infanterie-Geschoß
SS-Sturmmann Ernst Bormann (KIA 19.2.'44 by partisans)*, 3. Kp., Crai/Italien, Auf dem Rückmarsch vermisst
SS-Uscha. Gerhard Hirsch (KIA 19.2.'44 by partisans)*, 3. Kp., Crai/Italien, Herzschuss, Infanterie-Geschoß
SS-Uscha. Mathias Kirmaier (KIA 19.2.'44 by partisans)* 3. Kp., Crai/Italien, Herzschuss, Infanterie-Geschoß
SS-Jäger Hans Ramsauer (KIA 19.2.'44 by partisans)* 3. Kp., Crai/Italien, Auf dem Rückmarsch vermisst.

and Propadnizza (surely Praprotnizza/Praprotnica):
SS-Jg.) Hans Schoger (KIA 19.2.'44 by partisans)* )* , 3. Kp., Propadnizza, Kopfschuß, Infanterie-Geschoß
(SS-Strm.) Wilhelm Thellman (KIA 19.2.'44 by partisans)* , 3. Kp., Propadnizza, Zertrümmerung der Schädeldecke

The 18th brigade's chronic describes the battles as very intense, as the elite SS-men split in multiple groups refused to surrender. It should also be noted that Partisan sources claim a far higher number of KIAs - 200 KIA and WIA. They also captured 35 horses with supplies, 2 machine guns, 2 submachine guns, 20 rifles, etc (Bavec: Bazoviška brigada, p.186-188).

At the same time the other two groups attacked the positions of the 19th Brigade at Srednje. 4./KWB or elements of it attacked partisan positions at Vogrinki and quickly broke through advancing towards Srednje but were then due to a determined partisan counterattacked forced to retreat. The group suffered:

(SS-Strm.) Andreas Dörfler (KIA 19.2.'44 by partisans)*, 4. Kp., Dolmen/Italien, Bauchschuss
SS-Oberschütze Werner Messinger (KIA 19.2.'44 by partisans)* , 4. Kp., Vigrunchi/Italien, Auf dem Rückmarsch vermisst
(SS-Rottf.) Stefan Gubanski (KIA 19.2.'44 by partisans)* , 4. Kp., Vogrinchi/Italien, Zertrümmerung der Schädeldecke

But the hardest fighting took place at Srednje where the 1st company attacked the partisan positions from SE. I won't go into details but this was one of the fiercest battles in the Slovene Coastland the 19th partisan brigade lost around 50 KIA + 30 MIA on this day and the Karstjägers the following men:
(SS-Uscha.) Franz Maierhofer (KIA 19.2.'44 by partisans)* , 1. Kp., Stregna/Ital., Rückgrat-Schuss, Infanterie-Geschoß
SS-Uscha. Herbert Schmidt (KIA 19.2.'44 by partisans)*, 1. Kp., Stregna/Italien, 18.02.1944, Herzschuss, Infanterie-Geschoß
+ 1 (Di Giusto, p.386; perhaps Muratowich ?).

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”