- Posts: 1097
- Joined: 29 Sep 2005 16:23
- Location: france
Georges-René Boos is still alive:
http://www.lepopulaire.fr/limousin/actu ... 32005.html
- Financial supporter
- Posts: 963
- Joined: 11 Apr 2013 11:03
- Location: Europe
http://www.oradour.info/appendix/rikmen01.htm This view is summarised and presented by Marc Rickmenspoel. who cites his sources as:
1) Tulle and Oradour: A Franco-German Tragedy, by Otto Weidinger, translated by Colin B. Newberry. Privately published, 1985.
2) Oradour-sur-Glane: A "Clear-cut" Atrocity?, by Richard Landwehr, in Siegrunen Magazine, vol. IV, #3 (21 overall), September 1980.
3) Stonecry, The Scream of the Stones: Research in the ruins of the church in Oradour-sur-Glane to verify a war crime, by Pierre Moreau, translated from the French. Privately published, no date.
There are many controversial theories put forward which ultimately swing the blame for what happened in the town back on the citizens instead of the men of the DF regiment- Among the evidence presented, there is also a very bizarre statement made by a retired Bundeswehr Officer: 'Oberstleutnant Eberhard Matthes' who visited the town in 1963 and 1964. He maintained that his presence in a German uniform was not met with hostility by the towns people, on the contrary, he was warmly greeted and told incredible stories about what happened that day which contradict the known version of events. These truths were never revealed at the trial he was told. The most contentious of his allegations was that it was a civilian (probably a partisan) who had set the fire/explosion in the church and that the SS present had tried in vain to save the women and children.
None of this account mentions the names of those who gave him this information. While there is much evidence from the few survivors of the atrocity to re-butt this fantastical account, I am intrigued to know more about this Oberst. Does anyone have information about him to verify his existence and provide some background as to his service record, place of residence and any other pertinent information? I have only been able to find information on him that only ever leads back to this story.
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 04 Dec 2004 02:18
- Location: united kingdom