Did the Russians raped German POWs?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
ChristopherPerrien

Re: Did the Russians raped German POWs?

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 17 Oct 2015, 16:36

Besides Stalin viewing it in a negative light (which is a serious thing in the USSR when he was alive).It is probable his views were associated with his over-bearing Greek orthodox upbringing, andd he became an vigilant atheist. He despised religion up until WWII , when the codes and similar iconry of "Mother Russia" , were accepted again in the interest of morale of the Soviet military and State.

So you have it being against civil law, against military law, and a general feeling it was wrong due to the influence of the G.O. Church. I don't think it was condoned either, compared to the mass-raping German and other females , which did occur.

However , given the length of the war, the millions of POW's and guards in all male settings, the atrocious conduct of some soldiers on both sides, and giving some minor credit to feminists(I first spelled that the other way :lol: ) who push the power/rape psychology thing, I am sure it did occur in isolated incidences. I have never heard of any accounts. But with that many people involved there surely were some who would engage in such crimes and others who considered it unimportant.

Quite difficult to source anything in this respect, since no instances are known, but that in itself lends to how uncondoned/unpermitted/and not thought of, it was.

colt45

Post by colt45 » 17 Oct 2015, 17:38

The woman I talked to said "we dressed like old men. we were raped I Berlin " no one cared.... get me out of here

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 18 Oct 2015, 05:35

colt45 wrote:The woman I talked to said "we dressed like old men. we were raped I Berlin " no one cared.... get me out of here
Yes ,that is a fairly common story that German women and girls wore disguises to avoid being raped in the Soviet occupied areas.

One thing , that I did not consider about the potential for homosexual rapes. The Soviet Army that I "knew" in the 1980's did have a large percentage of East Asians (in all the "Stans"), and including different religions than Greek Orthodox. Perhaps it was more common for such units in the 1940's. I don't not know much about the demographic makeup of the Soviet Army in WWII or what units ended up in Germany/Eastern Europe near and past the end of the war, or what demographic were the POW's guards. IIRC , Hans von Luck mentioned "Asian" Soviet POW prison guards during his detainment.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”