handschar war criminal

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
ninoo

handschar war criminal

Post by ninoo » 21 Jan 2004 09:00

Hi,

Is there anybody who could give information about Handschar members (Croats and Moslem Bosnia) that receive sentence because their's war activities (including war crime cases)? I only know the case of Halim Malkoc who executed after the war.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Nino

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 21 Jan 2004 09:07

I advise you to read George Lepre's "Himmler's Bosnian Division". There you'll find all the info.

Regards,
Kocjo

ninoo

Post by ninoo » 22 Jan 2004 04:22

Hi Kocjo,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have already read the book but it only give one case about the Bosnian that persecuted after the war, that is Halim Malkoc case. The other cases only related with German personels (and only from the German perspective). Unfortunately, although I thought the book as the greatest about the Bosnian division, but it have a little weakness--especially about the true atmosphere of war cruelty in Bosnia at the time.

By the way Mr. Kocjo, I heard there are two books about the division that write in Serbo-Croat. One of them written by one guy name Enver (?) and become a source of Lepre's book and the other recently release (I forgot the title, but found it in one of the forum discussion). Have you already read it?

Regards,
Nino

Jatagan

Post by Jatagan » 21 Jul 2006 19:21

You would find some rare pics in the Bosnian books.

But they're probably bigger and longer than Lepre's book, which means there is more info you cant possibly have translated.
Also Lepre explains Handschar's military involvements, not war crimes and such things.

Ivan_S

handshar and war crimes...

Post by Ivan_S » 25 Jul 2006 19:24

warfare in the balkan area has always been marked with extreme brutality (raped women, burned villages, ethnical cleansing, mass murders, ...) and world war two in that area didn't see anything different...

so handschar or at least a part of its members may have been involved in atrocities or war crimes... as many other ss formations (ie the prinz eugen or the skanderbeg) and also (!) some heer and polizei units had already been...

it was an ethnic war, a political confrontation too... the gerilla war (hit and run, the typical warfare of marxist leninist movements) the titoists imposed to the axis forces in yougoslavia was done in order to conduct the german and their allies to react with reprisals (which in turn increased the manpower of the partisans...). it was a dirty war and in these type of conflict , no one is innocent...

Jatagan

Post by Jatagan » 26 Aug 2006 08:31

I know that SS Imam Halim Malkoc did alot to stop the Ville franche uprising.
He got an Iron Cross for that.
Himmler himself handed it out to a number of Bosnians and Germans who stayed loyal and helped hunt down the communists.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”