Lucius Felix Silla -- You asked for a documentary proof of the existence of homicidal gas chambers in Auschwitz I or Birnkenau. When I referred you to Jean-Claude Pressac's book, Auschwitz: Technique and operation of the gas chambers
, The Beate Klarsfeld Foundation, New York: 1989, you again asked:
My question is very simple: can anyone show me one documentary proof of the existence of homicidal gas chambers in Auschwitz I or Birnkenau?
You are the one who is asking for something here, but when told where you can find it, your response is to repeat the question. This is a good indication that the discussion is not going to go anywhere, and that you may have an agenda which goes beyond the question. Also, nothing in your post suggests that you even looked at Pressac's book before responding, and needless to say, you didn't answer any of the questions I posed to you, either.
For convenience, those unanswered questions were:
(1) Why -- and to who -- is this [your] question now important?
(2) How many murders could be successfully prosecuted using only documentary evidence?
(3) Why undertake to prove an historical proposition without looking at, or using, all forms of available evidence?
(4) Why focus the question so narrowly as to exclude the other evidence?
You and I have had this sort of discussion here before, on another thread, namely, "Son of Majdanek revisited" at:
Lucius Felix Silla -- You asked chalutzim
You write that at Majdanek was in function a gas chamber.
Proof and evidence for this statement?
In addition to the proof chalutzim offered, I gave references to three West German trials involving charges of fatal gassings of inmates at KL Majadanek.
But, very hardly, one can think that the verdict of Düsseldorf process (see Your reference) is a proof. The problem with this very interesting material is that we known only the judgement, but not the arguments and proofs or the transcripts of the trial.
You asked for proof of a functioning gas chamber at Majdanek. I showed you that two West German courts (one at Duesseldorf and one at Bielefeld) have convicted persons of the execution of prisoners by gassing at Majdanek. Now you want the "arguments and proofs or the transcripts of the trial."
Well, I'm content with the court judgments. They establish the fact of lethal gassings at Majdanek. Unless someone can show that there's something definitely wrong with the judicial findings of fact, I consider the matter as factually proven. Why would anyone want to re-prove to you what has already been established for the rest of the world?
If you need more proof for your personal purposes, check it out for yourself. You're the one who is unconvinced, and you are several thousand miles closer to the German court archives than I am.
I will repeat the same advice I gave you on that occasion:
If you need more proof for your personal purposes, check it out for yourself.
You also said:
If this proof don't exist, i must conclude:
1) That the book of Mr. Pressac is a historiographical curiousity: one work which have for purpose the rebuttal of the work of Mr. Faurisson from the point of view of the method and arguments of the work of Mr. Faurisson...is a complete failure-
2) That the existence of homicidal gas chambers in Auschwitz I or in Birkenau is proved ONLY by eyewitness accounts or through postwar confessions.
Not by "dead people, piles of clothing, eyeglasses, hordes of dental gold, buildings, equipment and tools," - as You have written - because those aren't proofs of a crime.
Nor by "the testimony of expert witnesses who have sifted through both documents and testimony in order to give an informed opinion" because this is only an opinion.
3) This forum must concentrate his topics only on eyewitness accounts and postwar confessions, because all other material is without any real importance.
My responses to your declaration are "So what?" and "Who cares?"
I'd been inclined to give you a little more time and information, were it not for our previous Majdanek exchange and your failure to answer any of my questions in this thread. From your previous posts you look like a guy who's asking for help for the sole purpose of being dissatisfied with what he gets.
This, however, is only my opinion. Let those answer you who will.