Massacre of SS guards at Dachau

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Caldric

Post by Caldric » 01 Mar 2004, 11:02

Uninen wrote:
Caldric wrote:Yes I will tell you there was no "massacre". With a straight face also.
That only tells me that your a great liar, or.. your totally ignorant to any facts of anything real. Let me repeat: At Dachau ~500 Germans were massacred and many of those were from Waffen-SS ..now which part dont you understand? Waffen-SS wasnt anymore quilty of any massacres or war crimes than USMC during that war, they did not run / operate death camps.

--

SS-Totenkopfverbande = "camp operators"
Waffen-SS = Elite fighting force

--

Two very separate things.
Are you going to try and tell me the Waffen SS did not commit war crimes and that they are clean of any blood? Now I may be ignorant I do not think that matters in the debate but I am not stupid and if you think the Waffen SS did not commit crimes than I suggest you look at your own idea of historical knowledge. The crimes of the SS started in Poland in 1939 and was so barbaric that a German Field Commander complained of the SS and their killing.

So if these guards were "Waffen SS" tell me how they could eat while allowing a child only a few meters away to starve to death? The Waffen SS has been shown to be much more criminal than the USMC by far.

Sorry I have no sympathy for guards of any camp where death is the purpose, no matter their rank or division or nationality in the military or police.

So let me repeat to you so that we understand each other. What man who can be called a soldier would allow hundreds or even thousands of Children and old men and women to starve to death while he stands guard? They had no sympathy for their victims why should I show sympathy for them? Unlike the Waffen SS killing spree's the US Army did not allow this one to go unabated and it was stopped.

robert knott

Post by robert knott » 01 Mar 2004, 11:32

Uninen wrote: Waffen-SS = Elite fighting force
I guess it's to be expected on forum about the Axis powers, and I realize that nobody asked me to come here... but sometimes I feel like if I hear the terms "Waffen SS" and "Elite" used in the same sentence one more time... I'M GONNA PUKE ! :P

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 01 Mar 2004, 16:17

Here we go again...

Hello Uninen
warriors of SS-Wiking division that happened to be near the location when captured while defending their homeland..
We've discussed this. There's no definitive proof the SS troops were from Wiking.
"After the camp was surrendered to Allied forces on April 29, 1945, the troops were so horrified by conditions at the camp that all of the camp guards were summarily shot."
You are correct in that the GI's were horrified by the camp. You are incorrect that all the SS men were shot. Look up Hans Linberger.
It's Revisionist website with a pro-Nazi agenda that plays fast and loose with the "facts."
I guess that your going to tell me next that there was no massacre of millions of German civilians by GB's and USA's air forces?
In the air campaign? No. I think the total was 600,000. BTW the USAAF suffered something like 50,000 causalties in the ETO. "Massacre" would be an incorrect word to use, given the robust state of the Luftwaffe air defense systems.
there was no Dachau POW massacre
There was - 100 SS men killed, but 32,000 slaves freed from Nazi tyrrany. The number of SS men statistically insignificant in comparison to the number of concentration camp prisoners freed from bondage.

funnily many of them in Waffen-SS uniforms
Uniforms are not proof of anything, especially at an SS clothing depot.
Waffen-SS a organisation that had nothing to do with the camps..) Correct me if im wrong? (about your claim.
You're wrong. Concentration camp guards belonged to the W-SS since April 1941 - that's just one (of many) connections.
That only tells me that your a great liar
Since you have not used any new facts and have only pointed to internet sites to bolster your argument, how can you claim Caldric is a liar?
At Dachau ~500 Germans were massacred and many of those were from Waffen-SS ..now which part dont you understand?
We understand that you clearly don't allow facts to get in the way of your beliefs! ;)
Waffen-SS wasnt anymore quilty of any massacres or war crimes than USMC during that war
Again you are incorrect. Go to the top of the war crimes forum and take a look at the W-SS warcrimes sticky. I assure you the USMC did not do anything as racist, cruel and barbaric as did the SS Cavalry Brigade in the late summer of 1941 or the LSSAH in 1943 Italy.
they did not run / operate death camps.
Except of course for Max Simon. And Georg Bochmann. And Eduard Deisenhofer. And Heinrich Petersen. And Helmuth Becker. All W-SS divisional commanders - all served in the KZ system. Plus "Papa" Eicke, who created the entire system.
SS-Totenkopfverbande = "camp operators"

SS-TV = 3rd SS Panzer Division.
BTW the 3rd SS Panzer Division's administrative offices were at Dachau.

Waffen-SS = Elite fighting force
Tell me about the "eliteness" of the 13th, 25th and 31st SS panzer divisions...

This handful of ruthless SS Guard-Pigs killed at Dachau is the most remembered, the most talked-about, the most immortalized band of martyrs in the history of the Third Reich.
Well, those "pigs" had mothers too, and I'm sure some forum members will be jumping all over you for calling them that. Other's seem to think that their death was a "crime" because they might have been "innocent" - whatever that means.

It's important to understand how and why the "Dachau massacre" myth has taken root. The story germinates with Nerin Gun's factually incorrect account in 1966, which then snowballs with Seltzer's, Mollo's and Buechner's accounts in the late 70's & 80's. The story really takes off with the birth of the internet via h Holocaust Denier Ernst Zundels website, which then spawned a bunch of others, some more serious like the Boston Globe website, some specious like the Humanitatas one. The motivation behind the massacre story is clear if you think about it - to turn a morally good event into a evil one - a liberation to a massacre and the Americans from "good guys" into the "bad guys." The Dachau massacre story actually doesn't tell us much about Dachau KZ on April 29th, 1945, but it does tell us alot about contemporary anti-Americanism and pro-Nazi Revisionism.

"Waffen SS" and "Elite" used in the same sentence one more time... I'M GONNA PUKE !
Maybe we should start a thread: The Waffen-SS: WWII's Most Overrated Fighting Force" ;)

robert knott

Post by robert knott » 01 Mar 2004, 17:36

[quote= robert knott from what I've seen from their modern-day admirers... This handful of ruthless SS Guard-Pigs killed at Dachau is the most remembered, the most talked-about, the most immortalized band of martyrs in the history of the Third Reich.[/quote] Thanks again, RobWSSOB going to bat for the sake of the Truth, and yex, you're right, my choice of words i.e. "Guard-Pigs" might have been inappropriate, although many of the guards were no doubt called names much worse during their careers. Before some forum members begin to jump all over me, I admit that acts of humanitarian compassion have been noted by a number of these guards. But to paraphrase an anecdote about Lawyers... "99 per cent of [SS Concentration Camp Guards] give the rest of them a bad name"
Last edited by robert knott on 01 Mar 2004, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 01 Mar 2004, 18:55

Uninen -- You said:

(1)
That only tells me that your a great liar, or.. your totally ignorant to any facts of anything real. Let me repeat: At Dachau ~500 Germans were massacred and many of those were from Waffen-SS ..now which part dont you understand?
Personal insults are not permitted here. Read the sticky on offensive behavior at http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=24871 before you post again.

(2)
Because now it seems that you are saying that there was no Dachau POW massacre? (which isnt true, as there was ~500 "Guards" killed, funnily many of them in Waffen-SS uniforms, Waffen-SS a organisation that had nothing to do with the camps..) Correct me if im wrong? (about your claim..)
I will correct you, because you are wrong in saying "Waffen-SS a organisation that had nothing to do with the camps.." See the previous threads on this topic at:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=23317
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=23270
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=23170
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=14350
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=2359

(3)
Waffen-SS wasnt anymore quilty of any massacres or war crimes than USMC during that war
See this thread to recognize your error:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=23394

If you can come up with a string of USMC crimes to match this list, please start a thread on it.

KalaVelka

Post by KalaVelka » 01 Mar 2004, 19:23

1) US forces massacred(shot surrendered soldiers) X(insert your number here) German soldiers at Dachau April 29,1945. Correct?

2) Shooting of surrendered soldiers is a warcrime? Correct?

1+2=US forces commited warcime at Dachau camp April 29,1945. Correct?

Regards
Kasper

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 01 Mar 2004, 19:35

KalaVelka~

OK. Sure. But what shall we do about it? As for me, when I think of Dachau I think of a symbol of criminality which far outweighed any war crime or "war crime" committed by U.S. troops during the liberation. If the point of those who spread and embellish this story is to show that U.S. troops were as murderous as those of the SS, that "point" does not hold water. U.S. troops did not, as a general rule, exterminate prisoners of war. Such instances in which they did were isolated, whereas on the German side they were common- in fact, in the case of Soviet and Jewish POW's, a matter of standard operating procedure.

I can't say for certain how I would have conducted myself in Dachau on 29 April 1945. Nobody can who was not there. When confronted with such horror, one might be compelled to empty a clip into the nearest SS man, regardless of his specific job function or unit assignment.

~ Mike

xcalibur

Re: ...

Post by xcalibur » 01 Mar 2004, 19:50

Michael Miller wrote:KalaVelka~

OK. Sure. But what shall we do about it? As for me, when I think of Dachau I think of a symbol of criminality which far outweighed any war crime or "war crime" committed by U.S. troops during the liberation. If the point of those who spread and embellish this story is to show that U.S. troops were as murderous as those of the SS, that "point" does not hold water. U.S. troops did not, as a general rule, exterminate prisoners of war. Such instances in which they did were isolated, whereas on the German side they were common- in fact, in the case of Soviet and Jewish POW's, a matter of standard operating procedure.

I can't say for certain how I would have conducted myself in Dachau on 29 April 1945. Nobody can who was not there. When confronted with such horror, one might be compelled to empty a clip into the nearest SS man, regardless of his specific job function or unit assignment.

~ Mike
It should also be stressed that this incident was a spontaneous event rather than one which occured with the sanction or encouragement of the command structure.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 01 Mar 2004, 20:11

xcalibur wrote:
It should also be stressed that this incident was a spontaneous event rather than one which occured with the sanction or encouragement of the command structure.

Yes, that's the most important point of all.

~ Mike

KalaVelka

Post by KalaVelka » 02 Mar 2004, 11:45

As for me, when I think of Dachau I think of a symbol of criminality which far outweighed any war crime or "war crime" committed by U.S. troops during the liberation.
Werent those WSS troopers regular infantry and werent the real campguards left the camp some days earlier? So what did those WSS troopers had to do with Dachau atrocities against so called "subhumans"?

If the point of those who spread and embellish this story is to show that U.S. troops were as murderous as those of the SS, that "point" does not hold water.
No, the point is to settle the Dachau massacre commited by US forces. It is same to me if those massacred soldiers would have been finnish jaegers or french foreign legion or whatever. They happened to be Waffen SS, but does that mean that you dont have to treat them under the laws of war?
U.S. troops did not, as a general rule, exterminate prisoners of war.
I have heard that some units got orders to take no Waffen SS or paratroopers as prisoners? Perhaps you could enlight me more about this subject?
whereas on the German side they were common- in fact, in the case of Soviet and Jewish POW's, a matter of standard operating procedure.
Yep the war on eastern front was little bit different, but I can tell you that in general Soviets would not take prisoners either. But thats off topic.
And that allows you to shoot surrendered prisoners? When talking about Waffen SS warcrimes, example like the shooting of Canadian prisoners by 12th SS in Normandy 1944, you can ask yourself that what did those young SS troopers feel, when they had saw how their comrades exploded in to pieces in Canadian arttilery fire and in the next five minutes they got some Canadian POWs. They surely felt just the same way. As you said it, when confronted with such horror, one might be compelled to empty a clip into the nearest Canadian POW.

But the fact remains, that US soldiers did commit warcrime April 29,1945 and they havent been jugded for that.

Kasper

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 02 Mar 2004, 13:24

Well then, Kasper, why don't you just reopen the case and have those American war criminals brought to justice at long last?

~ Mike

KalaVelka

Re: ...

Post by KalaVelka » 02 Mar 2004, 13:33

Michael Miller wrote:Well then, Kasper, why don't you just reopen the case and have those American war criminals brought to justice at long last?

~ Mike
Because I am 17 years old student from Helsinki and I dont have necessary political occupation.

Kasper

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 02 Mar 2004, 17:07

Hello Kasper,
Werent those WSS troopers regular infantry and werent the real campguards left the camp some days earlier? So what did those WSS troopers had to do with Dachau atrocities against so called "subhumans"?
11) We also don’t have a clear understanding as to what units the SS troops at Dachau on 29th April were from. We do know that Wicker wasn’t a "frontline Waffen-SS" man but was a member of the WVHA and the KZ staff. We do know Lindberger was from the Dachau Troop Training Ground walking wounded replacement company. We do have evidence that at least one of the SS men killed on April 29th was a member of the KZ staff and not a Waffen-SS" trooper (see the KZ collartab and photo that I posted on the last 6-page Dachau thread) We do know that Gun claimed "Skodzensky" was from the LSSAH division, and that other accounts claim the SS troops killed that day were

a) western European,
b) Hungarian volksdeutsche
c)5th SS division
d) 11th SS division,
e) 17th SS division

but in over a year of searching I’ve never been able to find any conclusive proof that the SS troops at Dachau guarding the KZ were from a front line W-SS unit. We have claims that certain cuff titles, edelweiss patches, and cammo uniforms "prove" that they troops were W-SS, but as to attributing them to a specific unit, we have nothing to date.

No, the point is to settle the Dachau massacre commited by US forces. It is same to me if those massacred soldiers would have been finnish jaegers or french foreign legion or whatever. They happened to be Waffen SS, but does that mean that you dont have to treat them under the laws of war?
The US 7th Army Inspector General immediately (like within 24 hours of the shooting - soon enough for you?) opened an investigation into the illegal killings. The IG spent several weeks documenting evidence, taking testimony, and then wrote a report which recommended that several GI's be court martialed. Patton decided to drop the charges. So there was a case, but the case was closed.
I have heard that some units got orders to take no Waffen SS or paratroopers as prisoners? Perhaps you could enlight me more about this subject
Most "take no SS prisoners" anecdotes come from the Battle of the Bulge and were a reaction to the news of the Malmedy Masssacre (4 months prior and an entirely different region and set of units) In the case of the Dachau liberation, many of the GI who participated in the liberation described how they felt at the time after seeing all the camps horrors - how they didn't want to accept the surrender of any SS men. But they did, for circa 130 SS troops were captured that day and placed in the blockhouse cells in the protective custody compound.
Yep the war on eastern front was little bit different, but I can tell you that in general Soviets would not take prisoners either. But thats off topic.
No KalaVelka - you clearly don't understand this yet, and you need to in order to understand why the Third Reich was such criminal regime. Hitler gave the German Wehrmacht 2 specific orders at the beginning of Barbarossa - the Commissar Order, which specifically targeted suspected Red Army political commanders for immediate execution and the Barbarossa Order, which specifically permitted German forces to use "extreme measures" against civilians without having to follow the Geneva Conventions or other laws of war. Hitler made the Eastern Front into a barbaric clash of ideologies.
And that allows you to shoot surrendered prisoners? When talking about Waffen SS warcrimes, example like the shooting of Canadian prisoners by 12th SS in Normandy 1944, you can ask yourself that what did those young SS troopers feel, when they had saw how their comrades exploded in to pieces in Canadian arttilery fire and in the next five minutes they got some Canadian POWs.
Read up on these incidents again. The 12th SS division, in their effort to "throw those little fishes into the sea," had a deliberate policy of executing Canadian PWs. The policy was discontinued by June 17th, 1944 because the SS realized a)the Canadians could play that game too and b)the Allies were in France to stay.

Why don't you ask yourself how a young, surrendered North Nova Scotia Highlander felt as he was led into the Abbey Ardenne garden to kneel down and get a bullet in the neck per 25th SS PGR CO Kurt Meyer's order? Or in your world are only the brave blond SS comrades worthy of compassion?
But the fact remains, that US soldiers did commit warcrime April 29,1945 and they havent been jugded for that.
They were investigated, and the proceedings were stopped. Know why? Because Patton thought it was stupid, given all the Dachau horrors, such as the
2,300+ dead concentration camp prisoners piled up in a train a quarter mile from the SS infirmary. Or the 200 bodies piled up by the crematory. Or the 2,400+ inmates who died from Nazi abuse and neglect from April 29th to June 16th 1945 despite the best efforts of the US 116th Evacuation Hospital. Is that bad enough, or do we need to catalog the whole index of Dachau horrors 1933-45?

Why is it perfectly OK for the Nazi system to kill at least 4,900+ civilian men, women and children at Dachau but an outrageous travesty of justice for Americans to kill 100 SS men as they freed 32,000+ slaves?

Kasper, since you're a student, I'm giving you an assignment. Read
Marcus Smith's The Harrowing of Hell -

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ct-details

So you can read about what one US doctor thought of the concentration camp and all the things the US Army did to rehabilitate the 32,000+ inmates. Good things, in other words.

KalaVelka

Post by KalaVelka » 02 Mar 2004, 17:43

Hitler gave the German Wehrmacht 2 specific orders at the beginning of Barbarossa - the Commissar Order, which specifically targeted suspected Red Army political commanders for immediate execution and the Barbarossa Order, which specifically permitted German forces to use "extreme measures" against civilians without having to follow the Geneva Conventions or other laws of war. Hitler made the Eastern Front into a barbaric clash of ideologies.
There is always two sides. So Ilja Ehrenburg's (?) work didnt have nothing to do with the late war Soviet atrocities when they entered eastern parts of the Reich? Commissars didnt throw fuel to the fire when they kept their firespeaks to the frontoviks? Etc. Its all again German fault.

Why don't you ask yourself how a young, surrendered North Nova Scotia Highlander felt as he was led into the Abbey Ardenne garden to kneel down and get a bullet in the neck per 25th SS PGR CO Kurt Meyer's order? Or in your world are only the brave blond SS comrades worthy of compassion?
I havent met anybody, but you sure have met some SS veterans. Did you ask how they did feel when Canadian pals saluted their new POWs?

They were investigated, and the proceedings were stopped. Know why? Because Patton thought it was stupid, given all the Dachau horrors, such as the
2,300+ dead concentration camp prisoners piled up in a train a quarter mile from the SS infirmary. Or the 200 bodies piled up by the crematory. Or the 2,400+ inmates who died from Nazi abuse and neglect from April 29th to June 16th 1945 despite the best efforts of the US 116th Evacuation Hospital. Is that bad enough, or do we need to catalog the whole index of Dachau horrors 1933-45?
So the Patton (in his allmighty wisdom) knew that the SS troopers which were killed at Dachau, were nothing more that just regular camp guards? You dont know it either. And if they were regular guards, they should have been bring to the Nürnberg and give rightfull judgement.
Why is it perfectly OK for the Nazi system to kill at least 4,900+ civilian men, women and children at Dachau but an outrageous travesty of justice for Americans to kill 100 SS men as they freed 32,000+ slaves?
Hell, where I have said that it was right to exterminate jews, gypsies etc.? Just show me.

Thanks for the book link.

Kasper

xcalibur

Post by xcalibur » 02 Mar 2004, 19:30

Kasper,

What do you think the outcome of the investigation should have been, assuming Patton hadn't stopped it?

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”