Pre-War Crimes of the NKVD

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 01 Apr 2004, 12:26

Good posts by Michael Mills on the connection between the Jews and the Bolsheviks and why people tend to see that the Jews are somewhat related to Bolshevism which give credence to the term Judeo-Bolshevism espoused by the Nazi regime

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 01 Apr 2004, 12:48

My question is: why was the decision made at the end of 1938 not to replace purged Jews with other Jews?
that's because every new Narkom brought his own team with him Beria due to shall we s geographical location of his previous appointment did not had contact with Jews while Yagoda and Ezhov did .

When we look at the Jewish senior officers, we see that from 1934 to 1938, if any of them were purged they were generally replaced by other Jews
not necessarily for ones number of postions that the table operates with changes form year to year. And I am sure that you know when Jew Yagoda was executed he was not replaced by another Jew.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 01 Apr 2004, 12:48

panzermahn wrote:Good posts by Michael Mills on the connection between the Jews and the Bolsheviks and why people tend to see that the Jews are somewhat related to Bolshevism which give credence to the term Judeo-Bolshevism espoused by the Nazi regime
where is this post exactly?

Askold

Post by Askold » 01 Apr 2004, 20:23

By that time as mr Mills noted there were hardly any Jews left in NKVD –but the again it does not matter because back then it was secret information –and mass of “enraged” Ukrainians could not simply know.

- We're talking about higher ranks. What about the number of Jews in lower ranks of NKVD or simply even as informers? Some one on this forum made an interesting remark, that even if Jews composed 6% of high ranking members of NKVD, it was still a very large representation considering the size of Jewish population in whole of Soviet Union.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 01 Apr 2004, 20:41

We're talking about higher ranks. What about the number of Jews in lower ranks of NKVD or simply even as informers? Some one on this forum made an interesting remark, that even if Jews composed 6% of high ranking members of NKVD, it was still a very large representation considering the size of Jewish population in whole of Soviet Union.
You know what I have no idea of ethnical make-up of lower ranks of NKVD and I think nobody knew back then either for one simple reason -nobody published that info. But I seriously doubt that there was that many Jews since you could volunteer for NKVD (unless of course you wanted to go to join the Militia) no more so than you could volunteer for the Army -you were conscribed

P.S number of Jews in the USSR was hardly bigger (if it indeed was) than that of Georgians – who held many important positions in NKVD –not to mention the obvious and very notorious Stalin-Beria duo. Yet somehow Ukrainians of that time had hardly any ill-feelings towards Georgians –even though they would be an obvious choice for “patriotic” xenophobes back then. I wonder why…

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”