German rape victims find a voice at last

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Enkpitt

Post by Enkpitt » 18 Aug 2004, 04:51

Fogive me if this has been posted before. Everybody talks about soviet rapes but did the western powers' soldiers commited crimes of this sort?

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 18 Aug 2004, 04:52

Enkpitt wrote:Fogive me if this has been posted before. Everybody talks about soviet rapes but did the western powers' soldiers commited crimes of this sort?
Yes, I hear Beevor's next book is about it.

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 18 Aug 2004, 05:01

If some men decided that to swage their anger over killed and tortured parents, friends, and relatives is to have sex with a few women...
No one says they deserved it, but they helped bring it upon themselves, unless you want to tell me all those women who supported Hitler in elections and votes weren't responsible for their own actions.
These same women who supported Hitler also helped him build his weapons, or do you deny that women worked in factories? Building Hitler's arsenals? Planes, tanks, artillery shells, etc?
This amounts to justifying the rapes by the men who lost their relatives of women who "supported Hitler". Of course you were quick to add that you do not actually justify these actions, but if you didn't, there would be no reason to point all that out.

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 18 Aug 2004, 05:05

Sergey Romanov wrote:
If some men decided that to swage their anger over killed and tortured parents, friends, and relatives is to have sex with a few women...
No one says they deserved it, but they helped bring it upon themselves, unless you want to tell me all those women who supported Hitler in elections and votes weren't responsible for their own actions.
These same women who supported Hitler also helped him build his weapons, or do you deny that women worked in factories? Building Hitler's arsenals? Planes, tanks, artillery shells, etc?
This amounts to justifying the rapes by the men who lost their relatives of women who "supported Hitler". Of course you were quick to add that you do not actually justify these actions, but if you didn't, there would be no reason to point all that out.
The first quote doesn't justify rapes, it simply points out that an entire country cannot be held responsible for what a few of it's citizens decide to do. The second shows that women did indeed play a role in German politicis and policies and the last shows that they helped Germany wage war, a genocidal war. Nowhere do I justify rape.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 18 Aug 2004, 05:56

This thread is closed for 24 hours to let the posters cool off.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 18 Aug 2004, 20:29

This thread is re-opened for intelligent discussion of the topic. Comments about other posters are off-topic.

WalterS

Post by WalterS » 18 Aug 2004, 21:03

My reluctance to comment in this forum is reinforced by silliness such as this:

Virtualroofer wrote:(referring to a previous post of mine and that of another person)
The truth of the matter is that yes INDEED Germany invaded Russia, there were policies in effect whereby many many Russian men, women and children were murdered but for you to somehow say that this payback was somehow justified makes me want to puke.
Nowhere in my previous post did I "justify" anything. In fact, if you bothered to actually read what I wrote, I flatly condemned the actions of the Soviet soldiers.

What I did say, and continue to believe, is that by launching a brutal war of annihilation against the peoples of eastern Europe, and inflicting terrible atrocities in the USSR, Poland and elsewhere, the Nazi German government created a climate in which the normal rules of war and decency and treament of prisoners and civilians were abandoned. Once the German Army proved incapable of winning the war or of even defending Germany, and the German government failed to provide for its citizens, it is not surprizing that the Soviet soldiers retaliated. This is not a justification, but rather an explanation. The German government unleashed a wave of brutality and terror, and then failed to protect its own people from the same.

Beppo Schmidt

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 18 Aug 2004, 21:18

Rape isn't the same as having sex. Wording it the way you did gives the impression that it was consensual, which often was not the case.

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 18 Aug 2004, 21:21

Beppo Schmidt wrote:
Rape isn't the same as having sex. Wording it the way you did gives the impression that it was consensual, which often was not the case.
You see what you want to see and you read what you want to read.

Beppo Schmidt

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 18 Aug 2004, 21:23

I see that you worded it as "having sex", what is incorrect about this.

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 18 Aug 2004, 21:25

Beppo Schmidt wrote:I see that you worded it as "having sex", what is incorrect about this.
And that is what they did, they had sex. How you interpret it in your own mind is not my responsibility, thus you think I'm trying to hide what happened, thus you see what you want to see.

Beppo Schmidt

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 18 Aug 2004, 21:27

The first quote doesn't justify rapes, it simply points out that an entire country cannot be held responsible for what a few of it's citizens decide to do.
You say that an entire country cannot be held responsible for the actions of some of its citizens, and yet you say that the German women who were raped helped bring it on themselves, as though they all supported Hitler. German Communists were raped as well.
And that is what they did, they had sex. How you interpret it in your own mind is not my responsibility, thus you think I'm trying to hide what happened, thus you see what you want to see.
I think most people make a distinction between rape and having sex.

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 18 Aug 2004, 21:29

Beppo Schmidt wrote: You say that an entire country cannot be held responsible for the actions of some of its citizens, and yet you say that the German women who were raped helped bring it on themselves, as though they all supported Hitler. German Communists were raped as well.
They didn't all have to support Hitler, standing by and doing nothing is also a crime in some people's eyes. What I showed, again, is that they were responsible for bringing Hitler to power, letting Hitler dictate German policy with their approval, and helped Hitler's Army in their genocidal war on the Eastern Front. Thus a direct result of their contribution to Germany and her Army was the war on the Eastern Front (among other fronts) and eventual defeat at the hands of the allies.

Beppo Schmidt

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 18 Aug 2004, 21:32

They didn't all have to support Hitler, standing by and doing nothing is also a crime in some people's eyes.
The number of assassination plots against Hitler proves that "they" did not all stand by and do nothing.

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 18 Aug 2004, 21:33

Beppo Schmidt wrote:
They didn't all have to support Hitler, standing by and doing nothing is also a crime in some people's eyes.
The number of assassination plots against Hitler proves that "they" did not all stand by and do nothing.
How many women were involved in these assassination plots? If you are going to go out on tangents then don't try debating with me.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”