Katyn -- 1952 US Congressional findings

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
snpol

Re: Katyn -- 1952 US Congressional findings

Post by snpol » 01 Aug 2020 05:59

wm wrote:
16 Jul 2020 11:09
snpol wrote:
15 Jul 2020 22:25
So Polish authorities have no cause to complain if Moscow would collect all memorial plates related to Katyn massacre to hide them in a remote museum.
I only hope that politicians will be one day more wise than usually.
The memorial plates related to Katyn are dedicated to victims, but the removed monuments to the Soviet oppressors, and not to Russian soldiers - victims of the Soviet regime too.
Polish authorities are free to regard the fallen Soviet soldiers as oppressors, not victims of Hitler's regime. They are free to demolish the monuments to the fallen Soviet soldiers on Polish soil. Polish authorities are free to relocate monuments to any remote museum. No problem.
At the same time Russian authorities recognize the executed during the Katyn massacre as victims but they are free to establish memorial plates in places that they regard suitable or relocate them to any remote museum.
So Polish authorities have not cause to complain.

snpol

Re: Katyn -- 1952 US Congressional findings

Post by snpol » 01 Aug 2020 06:23

history1 wrote:
16 Jul 2020 11:10
snpol wrote:
16 Jul 2020 05:46
[...] Also it is important to take into account inter-ethnical distance (I hope that you understand the meaning of this probably unexisting term). Inter-ethnical distances between the German-Austrians, the Hungarians, the Croats are big enough.
Do not confuse Burgenland -Croats with Croats. The latter arrived here as guest worker/foreign worker or as refugees and are NOT Burgenland Croats. Nor do I see any ethnical distances from the former. You need to realise and understand that eg. Burgenland-Hungarians are a recognised minority in my state and can NOT be confused with nowadays Hungarians which are everywhere in Burgenland. They live here, work here and die here. But they are Hungarian citizens not Austrians like Burgenland Croats or Burgenland Hungarians.
snpol wrote:
16 Jul 2020 05:46
But inter-ethnical distance between the Croats and the Serbs is much shorter due to, in fact, common language, similar habits, style of life. It is despite quite uneasy relations between the peoples. [...]
They do not have a common language, Serbian is not Serbo-Croatian. I worked with both and theyself claim it´s not the same. Both are Slvavic languages and that´s why they understand each other. But that´s no wonder Poles do also understand Russian or Czech and even I as Austrian speaking Polish and Slovakian only as third and fourth language do understand many parts in Russian conversation and do understand Russian text when I transfered it into our alphabet before.
In the context of our discussion related to the Katyn massacre, it is important to regard assimilation of the (ethnically) Poles in Russian Empire and the Soviet union. In Russia as a rule within 2-3-4 generations only surname hinted to Polish ancestry. I suppose that Russia for many reasons was much more 'hot' melting pot than Austro-Hungarian Empire. Distance to Poland, massive Russian and Russian speaking environment, frequent mixed marriages, Atheism imposed in the soviet times. All these factors played role.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”