Slave labor in the Krupp industrial combine

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 05 Feb 2005 07:52

Document D-354, Nazi Conspiracy and Aggression, vol. VII, US Government Printing Office, District of Columbia: 1946, pp. 34-36:

TRANSLATION OF DOCUMENT D-354

ESSEN. 5th October 1945.

SWORN STATEMENT.

Re:—The ill treatment of Russian P's W. in the Sheet Metal Workshop.

We the undersigned,
Paul Lenz, born 1.10.1899, residing Essen West Moerenstrasse 15.
Wilhelm Sill, born 27.1.1904, Essen-Haarzopf, Humboldtstrasse 312.
Hermann Roskothen, born 2.1.1910, Essen-Haarzopf, Sonnenscheinweg 23.
Fritz Schink, born 21.11.1894, Essen, Gerberg 30.

D-354

Karl Fortkamp, born 26.2.1900, Essen-Borbeck, Moerenstrasse, 19, and
Wilhelm Piegeler, born 27.6.1905, residing in Herne, Steinmetzstrasse 8,
make the following statement on oath:

We have worked for years in Krupp Sheet Metal Shop and know the work conditions well. In 1942, we received the first Russian P's W. 3 or 4 weeks after their arrival, ill treatment began. The Russians were beaten just because they were Russians and regarded as enemies. They were not treated like humans. They were forced into piece work. They had to do hammering, heat treatment and such like jobs which Germans refused. From the first to the last day, the camp Commandant was always complaining to the Works Manager Neumann about the ill treatment of the Russians; in spite of this, this maltreatment continued. The overseer Kramer in one case, hit a Russian over the head a few times with a wooden club because he was late on parade. I, the undersigned, Paul Lenz, took action against Kramer, for this. He complained to the Works Manager, Neumann and I was called to him. I pointed out to him that it was unsoldierly to treat a prisoner, who was unarmed, in such a manner; Neumann replied "When I see the lazy Russians and other foreigners, I would like to knock them all down !" Kramer was the most plausible man in the whole factory. The reason for Kramer's promotion was that he had done well in the maltreatment of prisoners.

The Russian P Ws had to do the hardest work in all the cold and wet weather in completely raggy clothing and with foot rags and wooden shoes on their feet. On top of that, their food was the very worst. They received about 1 Litre of watery soup once daily which could nowhere near satisfy these half starved Russians working on piece work. In spite of the fact that they carried out the work given to them to the best of their ability, they were illtreated on the least pretext.

A special lavatory was built for the Russians which a pig wouldn't have used. They daren't be seen in the lavatory for the Germans otherwise they would have been beaten.

The above is witnessed by the undersigned Lenz, Sill, Rosskothen and Schink.

All the undersigned witness the following:

Works Manager Neumann informed us that he had been asked to form the so called "Spade" Club, in order to keep down any risings on the part of the foreign workers and to beat the workers in case of an uprising. The spades which were manufactured

D-354

on Works Manager Neumann's orders were sharpened on both sides. Herewith an example.
signed.

PAUL LENZ
WILHELM SILL
HERMANN ROSSKOTHEN.
FRITZ SCHINK
KARL FORTKAMP
WILHELM PIEGELER.

J.W.L. RATHBORNE
Major President
[Mil. Gov. Stamp]

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 05 Feb 2005 07:59

Document D-355, Nazi Conspiracy and Aggression, vol. VII, US Government Printing Office, District of Columbia: 1946, pp. 36-37:

TRANSLATION OF DOCUMENT D—355

Essen 8. 10. 45.

SWORN STATEMENT

I, the undersigned Walter Thoene, born 30.10.1890 and living at Wolfsburg Gang hofer Str 13 make the following statement voluntarily.

I admit that I punched and beat Hungarian Jewesses which I had to supervise in No. 3 Steel Moulding Shop. I did not do this of my own free will but was ordered to do so by my works manager Reif, who was a Party Member like I was. Almost ever day this unscrupulous man held me to it in no mistakable manner to driving on these Jewesses and getting better performance from them. He also always emphasized that I should not be trivial in the choice of means and, if necessary, hit them like hitting a piece of cold iron. As soon as I saw that these women we standing near the ovens, I had to drive them back to their work. And this whilst the poor women were so badly protected against the cold, as they only had thin rags on their bodies. Most of these people had no stockings on in severe frosty weather. In winter their legs were frozen blue and had scabby chilblains big as a half-crown. The women received no food all day. They were fed in the camp. I could not bear to see the sufferings of the women, later on, and was glad when I was transferred from the Steel Forming Shop to the Railway during the last days of February.

I ought to mention the work in which the Jewesses were engaged was much too heavy for women. For instance they had to knock down the remains of walls with sledge hammers which weighed 8 to 10 pounds, or they had to carry or clean stones the whole day. They also had to unload sheet metal from Railway

D—355

Wagons and carry it about 100 meters. Reif always inspected this work and made sure I kept an eye on the speed. If Reif hadn't always been standing behind me, I should definitely have treated the Jewesses better.

I ought to mention one case specially which happened in February 1945. I hit a woman with my clenched fist on the shoulder and she fell down. Reif who was standing about 6 meters away forced me to do it.

Signed : Walter THOENE

J.W.L Rathborne Major.
President.
[Mil Gov Stamp]

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 05 Feb 2005 08:02

Document D-366, Nazi Conspiracy and Aggression, vol. VII, US Government Printing Office, District of Columbia: 1946, pp. 37-38:

TRANSLATION OF DOCUMENT D—366

Hammer works.

8-12-42
Fried. Krupp
Essen

To. Labour Supply "A"
via Mr. Schuermeyer.

The complaints from our foreign workers about insufficient food have increased lately. This is especially true in the cases

D—366

of Schinemann Str, Seumann Str, Germania Str, and Kraemer Platz Camps, where the soup just handed out for the midday meal is extremely watery and lacking in fats. Also quite a number of the people say that the meal distributed after the shift is not the same as the works kitchen said it would be, i.e. potatoes, vegetables and meat.

We experienced a very forcible confirmation of these complaints the other day when we drew the food for the Eastern workers from the kitchen in Kraemerplatz. On 5.12.42 the mid-day meal contained unpeeled, whole potatoes which were not even properly cooked; on 7.12.42, there was soup on which cabbage leaves floated, the sight of which made me feel sick. In reply to our telephone call, the kitchen, Kraemerplatz, stated that all the kitchen apparatus was out of action. In spite of this, we do not understand why the kitchen was not in a position to help itself and beg to ask you to look into these evil conditions which we are complaining about, and above all, see that the kitchen machines are put in order.

Signed. HALLER

One Copy To Dr. GUMMERT.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 05 Feb 2005 08:11

Document D-367, Nazi Conspiracy and Aggression, vol. VII, US Government Printing Office, District of Columbia: 1946, pp. 38-39:

TRANSLATION OF DOCUMENT D—367

Essen, 12.10.45.

SWORN STATEMENT.

I the undersigned Heinrich Frauenrath, Chief Secretary, Essen,-West Railway Station, declare the following voluntarily:

I have been in the service of the Reichs Railway since 1912 and since the 14.5.40., I worked as the regular representative in Essen-West Station.

The first Polish civilian workers arrived at Essen-West Railway Station at the end of 1940 and beginning of 1941. They were most pushed into goods wagons, about 50 or 60 of them to wagon, so that it was impossible for anybody to move. It was scarcely imaginable how these people ever stood up to the long journey. There were women with small children and pregnant women in these transports and had been brought here in this manner from Galicia, the Ukraine and Poland. I never noticed that any welfare had been arranged for these people. They did not receive anything to eat or drink. Even in the bitterest cold they never received a warm bite. Also I never saw any trained medical personnel on these transports although these poor creatures often arrived ill in Essen owing to this terrible journey.

D-367

When these people were unloaded here in Essen, they were made to hurry by blows and shouts. I, as the father of 4 children could hardly bear to watch this treatment and could only feel very sorry for the poor creatures.

About 3 trains a day went from our Station, loaded with Eastern workers being transported from their Camp in Voerde to the Krupp factory. These were also crammed in 50 or 60 to a wagon. There were 4 or 5 drivers to every train whose job it was to drive the people in and out of the trucks and this was done by blows and shouts. Every day there were sick and ailing people amongst the Eastern workers who, on account of either internal or external illnesses could not do these hardships. I should like to mention that these trucks were never heated in spite of the bitterest cold.

The first Russian prisoners arrived in Essen at the end of 1942, beginning of 1943. These, too, had to exist on the long journey from Russia pressed together in these unheated wagons and when they arrived at our station they received nothing to eat.

Recently 2 or 3 wagons were hung on to the usual passenger trains and in them were a large number of PWs and Eastern workers being transported to the delousing station. For these masses of people 4 or 5 goods wagons would hardly have sufficed in order to allow the people to travel with a bit of movement. The transport back from the delousing station took place in the same manner.

Signed: HEINRICH FRAUENRATH.
Essen. 4 October 1945.
Last edited by David Thompson on 06 Feb 2005 02:44, edited 1 time in total.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 05 Feb 2005 14:00

Document D-382, Nazi Conspiracy and Aggression, vol. VII, US Government Printing Office, District of Columbia: 1946, pp. 41-42:

TRANSLATION OF DOCUMENT D-382

SWORN STATEMENT

We, the undersigned, Raimund Becker, born 22.3.1905, residing at Essen-Steele, Dreiringstrasse 30. Alois Hoefer born 28.9.1906, residing at Essen-Borbeck, Heckelsberg 15, and Josef Dahm, born 6.12.1898, residing at Essen-Borbeck, Borbeckerstrasse 130, make the following sworn statement voluntarily:

The photographs of the torture cupboard, which stood in the foreign workers' camp in the grounds of No. 4 Armour Shop, and the dirty disreputable Russian Camp, were shown to us and we give evidence on oath as follows :

Photograph "A" shows an iron cupboard which was specially manufactured by the Firm of Krupp to torture Russian civilian workers to such an extent that it is almost impossible to describe. Men and women were often locked in one compartment of the cupboard, in which a man could scarcely stand, for long periods. The measurements of this compartment are height 1.52 meters, breadth and depth 40 to 50 cm each. In fact people were often kicked and pressed into one compartment in pairs. A Russian woman who was 7 months pregnant, told us that she had been pressed into the cupboard in a most bestial manner. At the top of the cupboard, there were sieve-like air holes through which cold water was poured on the unfortunate victims during the ice-cold winter.

Photograph "B" shows how the same cupboard looks when it is locked.

Photograph "C" shows the cupboard open. One can see exactly how deep it is and one wonders how even it was possible to press one person in, let alone two.

In Photograph "D" we see the place which was laid down by the Krupp Directorate as living quarters for the Russian civilian workers. The single rooms were 2 to 2.5 meters wide, 5 meters long and 2 meters high. In each room 16 persons were accommodated in double tier beds. The beds had straw paillasses on them and they were only changed when they fell to pieces or when they were lousy through and through. In general, it depended on the mood of the Camp Commandant, as to when and what time the paillasses were changed.

The roof of the place was sheet corrugated iron. These sheets were damaged by air raids, yet it was not allowed to repair the roofs and during bad weather the rain came in. The rooms were damp. 3 to 5 persons became ill daily through these living conditions. The Russian civilians were forbidden to have stoves in winter during the harshest cold spells. If the Camp Com-

D—382

mandant saw a stove which had been set up secretly, he had it removed immediately. The floor was of stone and very cold. Nothing was done to cover the floor and thus make the room a little warmer.

The camp was visited by the Chief Camp Administrator, Mr. Kupke, and was acknowledged to be the show camp for the whole of the Krupp Works.

The Camp Commandant Loewenkamp informed us that the higher management [Oberleitung] had given him special praise for the model way in which he looked after the Eastern worker: We are enclosing two letters which Camp Commandant Loewenkamp had had smuggled out of prison in order to influence the undersigned Hoefer to speak favourably for him.

The undersigned Dahm personally saw how 3 Russian civilian workers were locked in the cupboard, (two in one compartment) after they had been beaten on New Year's night 1945. Two of the Russians had to stand the whole of the New Year's nigh locked in the cupboard and cold water was poured over them as well.

[signed] RAIMUND BECKER.
ALOIS HOEFER.
JOSEF DAHM.
J. W. L. RATHBORNE,
Major
[Mil. Gov. Stamp]
President.

PF

Re: Slave labor in the Krupp industrial combine

Post by PF » 14 Dec 2013 02:49

Postscript
D-382 photographs