The Siege of Leningrad in German Documents

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Caldric

Post by Caldric » 04 Sep 2002, 19:16

atkif wrote:
Caldric wrote:Well Stalin's SS the NKVD had their own atrocities within the city themselves. That is pretty much a given. Zhukov has enough Russian blood on his own hands to be criminal.
Caldric.This would make a good post in a thread called say
"the NKVD, GPU atrocities".
But are not we talking about the siege of Leningrad.
The siege carried out by the Germans.About their murderous plans for the Russian people.
Stalin was a murderer.NKVD is responsible for the terrible crimes.
I agree.
But it doesn't make the Nazies any less responsible for their crimes.
One important point here which should not be ignored.
The Germans came to Russia and were commiting crimes against the Russian (and other) people first.
The Russian people didn't invite the Germans to save them from Stalin.
To the horrible sufferings of the Russian people under the Stalin's yoke
the Germans added even more terrible and Genocidal invasion.
Well thank you for the lesson in forum posting.

But as you said it does not make the Nazi crimes any less, nor does it "Justify" Soviet crimes by claiming they did it first as you just did above.

And yes we are talking about the Siege of Leningrad and in doing so it is important to keep it in perspective, the NKVD was at the siege of Leningrad and committed crimes against these people also, so it is all part of the Siege of Leningrad.

I mean let’s discuss it, and include those parts that may not make you feel comfortable.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 04 Sep 2002, 19:18

atkif wrote:Scott
You keep posting the various catapult images.With what purpose ?
Is it supposed to be a visual argument to support you position that Nazis didn't harbor any plans to exterminate Leningraders ? I don't really see
in what way.
Because starvation and bombardment are part and parcel of siege-warfare and always have been. In modern times, gunpowder and aircraft are used. This is called historical-continuity.
My understanding of the German intentions:

1. Sealing the city "tight"
Standard Operating Procedure. It is not done any other way, unless it is a diplomatic threat or something.
2. Leaving the "gaps" which would allow the escape routes for the insignificant part of the Leningrad population to the "inner Russia "(given the circumstances , read - condemning them to the sure death of starvation or by your theory from the NKVD troops )
This ensures that refugees and the morale of the besieged remain the Soviet problem. Keeping the pressure on the enemy is no surprise. Either the city surrenders or it doesn't.
3. Not accepting any offers of capitulation.
The Russians didn't make any offers unless you have some hitherto unknown document from the Soviet archives.
4. Bombing the city.
Here it is again:

atkif wrote:
Scott wrote:If surrender had been offered, then the posturing and rhetoric would have melted away and the Germans would have proceeded with ground operations to occupy the objective. It would have been a feather in their cap but not decisive by any means. Maybe they could have supplied for the occupied population, maybe not. But terms were never asked for.
"If...would have ..would have..would have....could have ..maybe..maybe not"

Is it all you can offer to support your argumentation?
I can ask you the same thing since no offer of surrender was made.
To undermine the documented evidences that the Nazis did have the intentions to massacre the civilian population of Leningrad ?
You must be kidding. :wink:
If you give it a Soviet or Leftist spin; otherwise, it is rather standard rhetoric.
But as Roberto indicated even if to admitt that your "extrapolations" are right it doesn't make the German intentions any less criminal.
There's nothing criminal about it. War sucks. Which is why it is not a good solution to things that can usually be worked-out in other ways. Somebody always pays the price, but hopefully the other side.
:)

atkif

Post by atkif » 04 Sep 2002, 19:28

Caldric .
I am not justifying the Soviet crimes in any way .
But dumping responsibility for what the Nazi criminals did on the Stalinist bastards serves to the Nazi' apologists.
Example :
Ovidius wrote
atkif wrote:
"So again the Germans are not to blame for the deaths of the people of Leningrad.It was again the evil Stalinists. "
Ovidius ' response
Obviously [/i]

atkif

Post by atkif » 04 Sep 2002, 19:46

Scott
I am wondering whether you deliberatly don't want to admit the simple
truth - it is of no importance whether the Russians offered surrender
or not.There were documented plans to massacre the civilan population
if the surrender was offered .
This is what I call criminal intentions.
Is not it clear?

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 04 Sep 2002, 19:49

atkif wrote:Scott
I am wondering whether you deliberatly don't want to admit the simple
truth - it is of no importance whether the Russians offered surrender
or not.There were documented plans to massacre the civilan population
if the surrender was offered .
This is what I call criminal intentions.
Is not it clear?
It is clear to me. The truth is not so simple.
:wink:

Ovidius

Post by Ovidius » 04 Sep 2002, 19:56

Roberto wrote:The order was not to offer capitulation and neither to accept it if it were offered.
Roberto wrote:Where capitulation is ruled out and the objective of the siege is not only to completely destroy the stronghold regardless of whether or not it continues to offer resistance, but also to get rid of its civilian inhabitants so as not be burdened with them, siege is not merely a particularly cruel form of warfare.

It is a crime.

This was the case at Leningrad.
Roberto wrote:Tell us, Mr. Smith, what difference does it make to the besieger's intention to get rid of a city's population under any circumstances and by any means whether or not the city submits to a mercy he has decided not to grant?

An even sillier question than Scott Smith's messages :mrgreen:

Did any Soviet military commander in Leningrad ever try to test the Germans' patience and ask for negotiations? Or they simply assumed that "the Fascist dogs will kill us all whatever it happens" and never thought of surrender?

~Ovidius

atkif

Post by atkif » 04 Sep 2002, 20:11

Scott.
I see - now you resort to the existantial philosophizing.
Pictures,philosophy ,extrapolations...
Everything is used to whitten up the Nazi murderers.
You keep ignoring my question - what makes you to defend the Nazi criminals so passionately ?To dismiss the documented evidence ?
What do you like in the Nazi ideology so much ?
You could not say that you are just trying to be ''objective'' cause your
position is always to present Nasizm in a better light .
Your posts are always in the Nazis favor.
There was no single post from you( as far as I am aware) presenting Allies
positively.
Are you so seriously fascinated by the Nazi unifroms ?

atkif

Post by atkif » 04 Sep 2002, 20:32

"the Fascist dogs will kill us "
That is right .That is what the Fascist dogs were going to do according to the numerous documents.
Again according to the documents they were going to do it either way -
surrender or no surrender.
Some of these Fascist dogs met their dog's fate on the gallows of Nurenberg. :D

atkif

Post by atkif » 04 Sep 2002, 20:44

Scott wrote
I can ask you the same thing since no offer of surrender was made
No there were no any "if ..would have ..could have..''etc in the German documented plans for Leningrad .
There were just plain clear intentions to massacre Leningraders(and the capitulation was not to be accepted)
You just can not deny it .You are unable to. :wink:

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 04 Sep 2002, 20:59

Roberto wrote:Can't you read, Mr. Smith?

The order was not to offer capitulation and neither to accept it if it were offered.
Scott Smith wrote:It's called unity-of-command, Roberto. Orders like these are intended to make sure that lieutenants do not negotiate terms. The troops must understand the the situation is grim and unyielding. Only the commander negotiates, even if might be Hitler.
Bullshit.

We're talking about an order signed by Halder and another coming from Hitler himself, where the passages following the interdiction to surrender clearly show why surrender was to be out of the question (document 6, my translation):
[...]IV. Requests for surrender resulting from the city’s encirclement will be denied, since the problem of relocating and feeding the population cannot and should not be solved by us. In this war for our very existence, there can be no interest on our part in maintaining even a part of this large urban population. If necessary forcible removal to the eastern Russian area is to be carried out.
Not to keep "lieutenants" (who in this case would be the commander of Army Group North, Field Marshal von Bock) from "negotiating terms", but because "the problem of relocating and feeding the population cannot and should not be solved by us", Mr. Smith.

Because surrender was not wanted due to political and economical considerations.

Once again, Mr. Smith: Learn to read.

Not that it matters, but is there any example of interdiction to accept surrender "to make sure that lieutenants do not negotiate terms", Mr. Smith?

Any instance where your beloved Führer insisted that surrender could only be accepted by himself or a field marshal at the very least?
Roberto wrote:Siege warfare is the most cruel form of warfare because it indiscriminately targets the civilian population together with the garrison of the enemy stronghold, but it is not a crime as long as it's objective is the surrender of the stronghold, as long as the defenders have a chance to put an end to their plight and to that of the civilian population by capitulating.
Smith wrote:I don't think it's any more cruel than any other form of warfare and it may or may not involve civilians.
In this case it did, Mr. Smith. The population of a whole city.
Smith wrote:But unless you can say that the Germans refused a legitmate offer of the cidadel, whether terms were conditional or unconditional, you have no argument. :P
The same shit again.

This is getting boring.

What difference does it make whether an offer was submitted or not if the besiegers had decided that an offer would not be accepted, Mr. Smith?
Roberto wrote:Where capitulation is ruled out and the objective of the siege is not only to completely destroy the stronghold regardless of whether or not it continues to offer resistance, but also to get rid of its civilian inhabitants so as not be burdened with them, siege is not merely a particularly cruel form of warfare.
Smith wrote: That is your Genocide fantasy, snared by Leftist German historians and those nostalgic over the Great Patriotic War. :mrgreen:
No, my dear Sir.

It’s what becomes apparent from the documentary evidence.

Smith can’t demonstrate otherwise and is thus reduced to pointless slander.

Poor Smith.
Roberto wrote:It is a crime.
Smith wrote: Maybe in a humanitarian sense but sovereign states are the law; they define the law and they have a monopoly-of-force.
Now we’re back to the “sovereign states” nonsense.

By Smith’s reasoning, a sovereign state’s decision to wipe out every last member of a given ethnic or social group for whatever reason would be perfectly legal, ain’t that so?

I also presume that, by Smith’s reasoning, if a sovereign state decided to abolish prosecution of murder, no one would be entitled to prosecute a murder committed within that state’s area of jurisdiction, whether against national or foreign citizens. Is that how you see it, Mr. Smith?

Last but not least, I presume that the “thoughtcrimes laws” Smith makes such a fuss about would not be problematic from a legal point of view either, in the opinion of Mr. Smith.

For they have been made by sovereign states, haven’t they? :aliengray
Smith wrote:International relations crash when agreements or nonagreements between sovereigns result in warfare.
Is that so, Smith? Wow, I didn’t know that! :lol:
atkif wrote:The air force was to be used in order to kill indiscriminately and spare the German troops.
Smith wrote:That's the way that airpower works! You want to hit the enemy as hard as you can from the air to hopefully spare your own troops in the trenches and force a surrender. The strategy works if the enemy can't deal with it and your own aircrew losses are not too high.
Roberto wrote:I strongly doubt that Smith would have the same attitude towards the application of such tactics by the Soviets or the Western Allies rather than his beloved Nazis.
Smith wrote:I criticize everybody when I feel like it.
Do that, Mr. Smith. I wouldn’t be surprised if the number of people counting the screws falling out of your skull increase with each of your imbecile posts.
Smith wrote: In any case, I have argued that Moscow was another panacea-target that would not have been decisive either, but that a concerted effort should have been made to take Leningrad instead because it could be supplied by the sea, thus anchoring that part of the front and buoying an unmotivated Finland. Logistics was the German weakness, Roberto.
Don’t try to change the subject, Smith. We’re not talking about what your beloved Nazis should have attempted to do. We’re talking about what they did have on their minds with regard to the city of Leningrad.
Roberto wrote: Besides, the issue here is that airpower was not to be used to break the resistance of an enemy stronghold without expending ground forces (which would indeed be legitimate).

Airpower was to be used to, in the words of Halder's order of 28.09.1941 (document 2, my translation) deprive "of its life and defense capacity" a city the capitulation of which was not to be required.

The objective was thus not breaking enemy resistance and forcing the surrender or enabling the capture of an enemy stronghold, but merely slaughtering the civilian population or submitting it to starvation.
Smith wrote: Nonsense.
Unless you can offer a better reading of the document, that commentary is not only feeble but silly, Mr. Smith.
atkif wrote:If no capitulation was not to be accepted, the city was planned to be sealed and bombed, it is absolutely obvious that we talk about the Genocide intentions.
Smith wrote:If a surrender had been offered but refused then this might be true. But unless you have evidence that the city offered its surrender to Hitler or to his commanders then you have no case.
Roberto wrote:Just when you think things can't get any sillier, Smith pushes silliness a little bit further, as usual.
Smith wrote:His argument is exposed and he calls it silly. Okay, Roberto. :lol:
To expose an argument of mine you need an argument of yours, Mr. Smith.

I wouldn’t call your above-quoted nonsense and argument.

In fact “drivel” is too gentle a word for it.
Roberto wrote:Tell us, Mr. Smith, what difference does it make to the besieger's intention to get rid of a city's population under any circumstances and by any means whether or not the city submits to a mercy he has decided not to grant?
Smith wrote:You always confuse rhetoric with "intentions," not understanding poltical aspects. You assume that the Nazi government was a mere command dictatorship where it was easy to get everyone to do what they were ordered to do without incendiary persuasion. The Nazis used rhetoric; the Soviets used the gulag; the democracies used corruption. That's how things get done. :wink:
As I expected, Smith is unable to answer my question and thus puts on the “rhetoric” record again.

Tell us, Mr. Smith, did Halder and Wagner make their statements quoted in documents 1 and 3 before an audience susceptible to “rhetoric”, or were they confiding their thoughts to their private diaries and to persons close to them?

Was the Wehrmacht Command Staff quoted in document 4 having a rhetoric bullshit party, or was it a working group gathered to work out suggestions for the solution of a problem?

Was the Navy Liaison Officer who in document 5 informed his superior just shooting rhetoric bull, or was he providing information and suggestions that he considered to be of the highest importance?

If you think it was the former, why did the man ask his superior to keep the letter confidential?

Last but not least, were Halder in document 2 and Hitler in document 6 making rhetoric harangues, or were they issuing military orders that they expected to be complied with?

Is the addressee of a military order under whatever political system obliged to obey it unconditionally, or is he not, Mr. Smith?
Roberto wrote:What difference does it make to a killer's intention to kill whether or not the victim defends itself or begs for mercy?
Smith wrote:What mercy? You either surrender or you remain besieged. Simple. And the central government ordered that Leningrad hold, as would be expected.
Acceptance of surrender is the mercy granted to an enemy in return for his willingness to end resistance. That mercy was expressly excluded under the cited orders.
Smith wrote:If surrender had been offered, then the posturing and rhetoric would have melted away and the Germans would have proceeded with ground operations to occupy the objective. It would have been a feather in their cap but not decisive by any means. Maybe they could have supplied for the occupied population, maybe not.
Roberto wrote:Any evidence to that, or is it just one of your well-known hollow guesses?
Smith wrote:The burden-of-proof is upon you to prove your Genocide-theory, and not having a crystal ball that's rather hard for you.
Insofar as the burden is on me it has been met, Mr. Smith.

The documents I transcribed speak a very clear language.

If Smith now is contending that what clearly becomes apparent from the documents would not have been applied if Leningrad had offered to surrender, it is upon him to provide evidence in support of this contention.

As simple as that.
Smith wrote:Unless surrender was offered, or even an offer of negotiation for the surrender of the city was made by someone effectively in power to do this, there can be no complaint;
Yeah, sure. The intention was to kill the people of Leningrad (mostly by starvation) regardless of whether they resisted or not, but as long as they resisted there’s nothing to be said against that intention, really.

Nothing can be said either, I suppose, against the decision to adopt siege warfare instead of taking the city by direct assault, even though that would have been possible, just because Hitler and the Wehrmacht didn’t want to have the population on their hands.

Or against the decision to not even attempt the bloodless conquest that would have resulted from a capitulation demand if that had been accepted, rather than adopt a tactic that was bound to lead to enormous mortality among the civilian population.
Smith wrote: it was the responsibility of the Soviet government to evacuate noncombatants. Period.
Sure. It was also the responsibility of the parents not to let their daughter walk alone at night in the streets where the rapist got to her, right?
Roberto wrote: Show us an indication in the documentary evidence transcribed on this thread or other documentary or eyewitness evidence that Hitler and the German High Command would have abdicated of their policy of not accepting the city's surrender and getting rid of its population by any means if a surrender offer had been made.
Smith wrote: To say that they would not have accepted a wholesale surrender is absurd. It would have been gravy.
Well, they had good reasons (from their point of view) not to accept a wholesale surrender, had they not?

And they stated those reasons very clearly in the documents that Smith apparently hasn’t even bothered to read.

That being so, I’d say the only thing absurd here is Smith’s wholly unsubstantiated, hollow guess.
atkif wrote:For the insignificant part of the population who would be able to get out of the city through the "gaps"( to direct them to the "inner Russia ") there was the sure death of starvation prepared in store.
Smith wrote:Any Leningrader who successfully snuck back to his own lines would likely have been shot by the NKVD for deserting the citadel. The orders for every citizen were clear--to hold the city--and they did.
Roberto wrote:That wouldn't make the besiegers' intentions look any better, would it?
Smith wrote:Nonsequitur. The besieger's intentions are the capitulation of the enemy.
In Smith’s fantasy world, perhaps. Not in the real world of the besiegers’ own statements, which clearly show that capitulation was the last thing they were interested in.
Roberto wrote:Smith also obviously failed to read my posts. Otherwise he would know that the Soviets evacuated about half a million inhabitants of Leningrad via the Ladoga ice road in the winter of 1941/42.
Smith wrote:Not without authorization,
Exactly, Mr. Smith.

Civilians were authorized to leave Leningrad.

How do you marry that with your crappy contentions?
Smith wrote:and a bit tardy besides.
Yeah, dad only went looking for his daughter when she was already being screwed. The bastard.
Smith wrote:Not the German problem, certainly.
Not the rapist’s problem, for sure, in the above parallel.

I suppose that Smith will also argue that it was not the problem of the Red Army in 1944/45 that the Nazi government failed to take so many rape victims out of harm's way when there was time to do so.
Roberto wrote:The objective of siege warfare is to bring about the surrender of an enemy stronghold.
Smith wrote: Yes, by "wiping them out."
No, Smith.

By making them throw the towel.

When you intend to wipe them out whether or not they are prepared to throw the towel, your intention is that of a murderer.

A “no prisoners” order – which is what the German orders in regard to Leningrad basically amounted to – is a war crime regardless of whether or not the enemy is inclined to surrender, isn’t it?

Especially when the enemy consists mostly of unarmed non-combatants.
Roberto wrote:you don't call it siege warfare.

You call it murder.
Smith wrote: Big surprise! War is murder.
Why, and I thought there was a difference between legitimate behavior in wartime and the unwarranted killing of unarmed non-combatants.

But Smith seems to have become a pacifist.

OK, then, let’s look at it this way: if war is murder, then any unprovoked military aggression is an act of mass murder.

That being so, every Soviet citizen who fell victim to the German attack, whether he or she was killed in combat or slaughtered after surrendering or died in a prison camp or of starvation elsewhere or was butchered by Einsatzgruppen or "anti-partisan" units, was murdered by Smith’s beloved Führer.

Is that the way we shall henceforth look at it, Mr. Smith?

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 04 Sep 2002, 21:23

Ovidius wrote:An even sillier question than Scott Smith's messages :mrgreen:
Is that so, Ovi?

Does it matter to the criminal nature of a "no prisoners" order - which is what the cited German orders basically amounted to - if the enemy is or not inclined to surrender?

Especially when the enemy consists mainly of unarmed non-combatants, largely women and children.

Think about it, Ovi.
Ovidius wrote:Did any Soviet military commander in Leningrad ever try to test the Germans' patience and ask for negotiations?
Did anything they knew from or about the besiegers give them a reason to assume that a surrender offer would have any feedback?
Ovidius wrote:Or they simply assumed that "the Fascist dogs will kill us all whatever it happens" and never thought of surrender?
They wouldn't have been all that wrong had they lived under this assumption, would they?

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 04 Sep 2002, 21:26

atkif wrote:Scott wrote
I can ask you the same thing since no offer of surrender was made
No there were no any "if ..would have ..could have..''etc in the German documented plans for Leningrad .
There were just plain clear intentions to massacre Leningraders(and the capitulation was not to be accepted)
You just can not deny it .You are unable to. :wink:
I wouldn’t be so optimistic, atkif.

Smith is a true believer in every sense of the word, a crusader on an ideological mission.

He so firmly believes in his articles of faith that no matter how often and how well you explain to him that two plus two makes four, he will still tell you that it makes five.

Once you get used to it, however, it can be a lot of fun to play cat and mouse with the fellow. To me at least it is.

Cheers,

Roberto

atkif

Post by atkif » 04 Sep 2002, 22:19

I see Roberto.
But what I am curious about are the Scott's motivations .
There certainly could not be any " I am trying to be objective "claim made since his is obviously biased.
So Scott if you don't mind sharing - what is your "ideological mission" about ?
For instance Ovidius is not that shy - his views ( which can be understood
from all his posts :mrgreen: ) are plain National-Socialistic.
He seems to be proud of this fact.Let him be :roll: :mrgreen:
But you are being so coyish Scott. 8) 8) 8)
Do you love Nazis or not ? Please confess you do to make things clear.
Last edited by atkif on 04 Sep 2002, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 04 Sep 2002, 22:20

atkif wrote:Are you so seriously fascinated by the Nazi unifroms?
Actually, my favorite uniform is the U.S. Army's dress blue. But I would dump the Windsor tie for a traditional closed-collar and add shiny high-topped boots. I don't like the current camouflage uniform either; the American soldiers nowadays look like rag-bags. But the relative merits of German uniforms isn't much of an argument, is it?

Last edited by Scott Smith on 04 Sep 2002, 23:14, edited 2 times in total.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 04 Sep 2002, 22:25

atkif wrote:I see Roberto.
But what I am curious about is Scott's motivations .
There certainly could not be any " I am trying to be objective "claim made since his is obviously biased.
So Scott if don't mind sharing - what is your "ideological mission" about ?
For instance Ovidius is not that shy - his views ( which can be understood
from all his posts :mrgreen: ) are plain National-Socialistic.
He seems to be proud of this fact.
But you are being so coyish Scott. 8) 8) 8)
Do you love Nazis or not ? Please confess you do to make things clear.
Why do I have to have an "ideological mission"? I have said over and over again that my attitudes square quite well with those of an American Progressive and Isolationist. I am quite Leftwing on economic issues, as has been demonstrated as well. Generally, I tend to be anti-authoritarian. But I will follow people who I respect. Anyway, looking for some character-defect on my part because you don't agree, don't understand, or are unable to debate me, is not really my problem. I have stated my views. Take it or leave it.
Last edited by Scott Smith on 04 Sep 2002, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”