Protection of German Blood (Nuremberg laws)

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Smert-Fashistam

Protection of German Blood (Nuremberg laws)

Post by Smert-Fashistam » 01 Sep 2002 04:46

I recently read about Nuremberg laws, as they were the backbone of NSDAP anti-semitistm policies. I am not trying to be racist or anything, but how do one distinguishes jewish blood (in the laws it people can even be 1/4 or 1/2 jewish) from non-jewish or german. Isn't jewery a religion rather then biological/ ethnic group. I mean what technology, especially at that early stage of medical knowledge level, was used for such? Or was it just a cover-words to single out jews (by religion) But then again if a jew is not "jewish" looking or sounding (that's an odd definition too btw), how do you know he is a jew. Once again, I ask this out of curiosity, because this is unclear to me.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 01 Sep 2002 04:59

The technology was a birth certificate and a pedigree chart. If your parents were Jews then you were a Jew, whether religious or not. If one of your parents was a Jew then you were not usually classified by the government as a Jew unless you also practiced the Jewish faith or had some other ethnic connection to "Jewry," e.g., Communism or something egregiously questionable from a Nazi point of view.
:)

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 01 Sep 2002 05:02

Article 5, paragraph 1 of the First Regulation to the Reich Citizenship Law, 14 November 1935, defined the category "Jew" for the purpose of citizenship.

It stated:

A Jew is anyone who descended from at least three grandparents who were racially full Jews. Article 2, par.2, second sentence will apply.

The second sentence of paragraph 2 of Article 2 reads:

A grandparent shall be considered as full-blooded [Jew] if he or she belonged to the Jewish religious community.

Therefore, although the definition of a Jews purported to be based on racial criteria, in fact the decisive factor was the religious adherence of the grandparents. No anthropological test was applied.

However, the grandparents of persons living in 1935 would have lived in the 19th century. At that time, practically all members of Jewish religious communities were also racially Jewish, that is descended from the ancient Jews, although of course a lot of race-mixing had occurred over the centuries, as with any other people. The Jews of Europe did constitute a separate ethnic group; they were not just a religious community.

ZackdeBlanc

Post by ZackdeBlanc » 01 Sep 2002 07:04

Being a Jew is both an ethnicity and a religion. They nazis didn't concern themselves with people's beliefs, as long as they were loyal to the party. They were only interested in your race. So, they weren't going after religious jews as much as ethnic jews. And, almost all of the time religious jews are ethnic as well.

It gets really hard to distinguish racially what is a "jew" but what makes a jew a jew is an ethnic background of Israel, and that area of the world. The nazis were very arbitrary in this matter, but the crux of it was that they were discriminating against middle east people more than anything else.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”