Searching for particular Waffen-SS crime photo (Balkan)

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 13 Apr 2005, 20:17

rommel_gaj wrote:How come that these two unfortunates were beheaded,and not,say, shot or hanged? What in earth have they done to the Germans to deserve such penalty?
Unfortunately that kind of execution was and still is very common in Balkan wars...
They probbably copied it from their Balkan allies and enemies...

bakof

Post by bakof » 13 Apr 2005, 21:19

It was just the same picture I was talking about. The text sayes that the poor devil was already dead before he was beheaded.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 13 Apr 2005, 21:24

I think that you will agree that it's not that important whether he was dead or not.
Still a terrible thing to do. Although i don't think he was dead.

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 14 Apr 2005, 16:27

bakof wrote:It was just the same picture I was talking about. The text sayes that the poor devil was already dead before he was beheaded.
Well, in that case the text is wrong. There was never any doubt about the two partisans being alive (before beheaded they were badly beaten and their eyes were cutt out).

Here's the full set of photos taken. The pictures say it all.
http://img14.imgspot.com/?u=05/103/09/collage.jpg

Also the excerpt from the Geb.Jäg.Btl. "Heine" report:
Attachments
ktb.jpg
ktb.jpg (73.18 KiB) Viewed 4056 times

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 14 Apr 2005, 16:32

Thanks again very much for pics and info.

Zlatni ljiljan

Re: Searching for particular Waffen-SS crime photo (Balkan)

Post by Zlatni ljiljan » 15 Apr 2005, 03:10

Ivanwss wrote:I saw a photo when i was a kid, and then again a couple of years ago,
in which Waffen-SS soldiers (wearing helmets; possible "Handschar", can't remember)
are cutting some partisan's head off with an axe.
I saw one picture in which Handschar soldiers with Chetniks standing by a tree. On that tree were hanged up a few civilians (four or five, one woman I think). According to their clothes, they were Serbs from Majevica region. Handschar soldiers and Chetniks were quite relaxed, they smoke cigarettes and smiling. Executed peasants probably were Partisan's supporters.

I saw that photo in one communist book, ten years ago, but I didn't remember name of book or who wrote it.

I only know that this picture was mentioned in book "Parergon", written by Dervis Susic, but there's no reproduction here.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 15 Apr 2005, 10:21

I've never seen that photo. Does anyone have it?
I saw many Chetnik photos with Germans, but with "Handschar"...
I have to see it to believe it.

Zlatni ljiljan

Post by Zlatni ljiljan » 15 Apr 2005, 22:29

Ivanwss wrote:I've never seen that photo. Does anyone have it?
I saw many Chetnik photos with Germans, but with "Handschar"...
I have to see it to believe it.
I'm looking for it. If I find that photo, I'll be glad to share it with others.

I don't understand, you say "but with 'Handschar'...". Why? Handschar Division had very good, useful and productive cooperation with Chetniks in combate against Partisans in North-East Bosnia. I also saw other interesting picture, which show Chetnik and Handschar officers... One of Chetnik officers was captain Steva Damjanovic Leka. He became commander of Majevica Corps in 1945. I'll try to find some of these pictures (Chetniks & Handschar together) in City Archive in Tuzla. If I get permission to copy them, I will post them here.

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 15 Apr 2005, 22:47

Paisan,I'm interested in the photos as well-think you won't have difficulties with scanning the photo-I could have done it in Sarajevo,just couldn't get the damned scanner! :roll:

Zivio,

Gaj

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 17 Apr 2005, 01:33

The 3 photos were posted by me a while back but were deleted (it upset some posters to see such evidence of German brutality). They are in the Axis Europa publication 'Forgotten Legions Booklet'

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 17 Apr 2005, 03:02

The posts on the SS Division "Handschar" now have a thread of their own, in the H&WSS section of the forum. The discussion and photos are excellent, but the discourse has moved out of the realm of war crimes. Thank you, gentlemen, for the fine contributions.

The new thread is "SS-Division 'Handschar'" and it can be seen at: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=75745

c.g.

Post by c.g. » 18 Apr 2005, 19:56

Dear friends,
in regard to the above mentioned photographs it might be of interest that the Prosecutor of the German city of Würzburg just a few years ago conducted an investigation to determine the perpetrators of the crime. At least one of the Karstjäger depicted while beheading the prisoner was identified, but was already deceased by the time the investigation was started (unfortunaltely I can't remember the name). The unit was definitely the karstjäger battalion. Several witnesses admitted being present at the scene and stated that several copies of those pictures were liberally distributed among the men.
Best regards
C.G.

Klemen L.

Post by Klemen L. » 18 Apr 2005, 23:11

Hi C.G.!
in regard to the above mentioned photographs it might be of interest that the Prosecutor of the German city of Würzburg just a few years ago conducted an investigation to determine the perpetrators of the crime. At least one of the Karstjäger depicted while beheading the prisoner was identified, but was already deceased by the time the investigation was started (unfortunaltely I can't remember the name).
This is very interesting, C.G.! Any chance you could check your notes and find the name of this SS-Karstjäger soldier who was identified from this photo and put under investigation by the Court of Würzburg? This is the first time I hear about this.
Several witnesses admitted being present at the scene and stated that several copies of those pictures were liberally distributed among the men.
In former Yugoslavia to my knowledge only one man from this photo was identified by eyewitnesses and namely the man who is holding the victim by hand. This is supposed to be one SS-Jäger FRANCESCO MACOTTO from Palmanova (Friuli-Italy).

fredric

beheading photograph

Post by fredric » 19 Apr 2005, 08:16

I have seen the same photograph identified as "Ustasha" twice. Check out Ustash on the web. Also saw same pic many years ago in a book about atocities in the Balkans...

c.g.

Post by c.g. » 20 Apr 2005, 10:25

Hi:
I checked my files and found this article relating to the case: Peter Engelbrecht, Ganzer Dörfer niedergemetzelt, Massaker in Slowenien: Justiz stellt verfahren gegen Pottensteiner SS-Karstwehr ein, in Nordbay.Kurier, Bayreuth, 17./18.11.2001.
The author writes: "More than 50 years later the Justice identified the former SS-Oberscharführer Walter W. from Pforzheim as one of the perpetrators. He is the one to be seen in he picture with the axt in his hand cutting the head. W. cannot be put on trial since he died 1989".
From other similar sources I can infer that W. was born 1921 in Pforzheim and died there on 27 July 1989. The article reports shortly about Strmec, Lokve, Komen, Rihenberg and Lipa.
The case number at the Staatsanwaltschaft Würzburg reported in the article ist the following: 169 UJs 186257/95. Maybe you want to check the author of the article for further information.
I hope this helps
C.G.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”