Were Foreign Jews Protected?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Ezboard

Were Foreign Jews Protected?

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002, 12:41

Bill1953
Global user
(3/23/00 7:09:54 am)
Reply Were Foreign Jews Protected?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have always been interested by the Holocaust. I once read that a Swedish diplomat whose name
I am unsure of (Wallenberg?) issued Swedish passes to Jews in Hungary and thereby saved thousands of Jews. I am amazed that a thug state such as the 3rd Reich would even respect such a measure, but then I read another book which stated that Jews married to non-Jews were afforded a measure of protection that other Jews did not possess. Apparently the Nazis were more concerned about public opinion than many people might ascribe to brutes. I have always wondered if a Swiss Jew, living in Nazi Germany with a Swiss passport, would have been safer than other Jews. I say a Swiss Jew since Switzerland was neutral throughout the war. Any comments?

Michael Crompton
Unregistered User
(3/25/00 1:08:51 am)
Reply Information for you......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Yes the name of the Sweedish diplomat was Wallenberg. There is a Sweedish movie about what he did to save the Jews. It is a very historical movie, it is titled, "Good evening Mr. Wallenberg", but it is mainly in the Sweedish language although I am sure that you could find one with subtitles. Wallenberg was secretly transporting Jews out of Hungary, if Germany would have known about this he would have probably been arrested or expelled. He did this by taking large numbers of Jews at a time, saying that they were Sweedish citizens, then have them sent back to Sweeden.

Cheers,
Michael

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”