More Meyer

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Erik

Post by Erik » 27 Oct 2002, 21:27

According to Pressac and Mattogno, the document of the Auschwitz State Museum is an identical copy (a photocopy) of the original document in Moscow and Gerner's scans B (Auschwitz State Museum) and D (Moscow) are actually identical, so it is reasonable to assume that also D is correct.

Earlier (Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:17 pm ) you wrote:
Now, D is the original from Tsentr Chranenija Istoriko-dokumental'nich Kollektsiiin in moscow.

B is simply a photocopy of D for the Auschwitz State Museum and Archive with a rubber stamp of the Archive.
Now you know from the “simple” photocopy of D for the Auschwitz State Museum – i.e. “B” – that “it is reasonable to assume that also D is correct”.

I.e., “the original”?

Erik

Post by Erik » 27 Oct 2002, 21:56

According to Pressac and Mattogno, the document of the Auschwitz State Museum is an identical copy (a photocopy) of the original document in Moscow and Gerner's scans B (Auschwitz State Museum) and D (Moscow) are actually identical, so it is reasonable to assume that also D is correct.
PS!

I don't know if you have edited your posting above while I'm writing this PS (no BS intended!), but now, on second reading, I assume that the last "D" is meant to be a "B"!!!

Right?

You actually mention "the original document in Moscow", and you cannot knowingly mean that the scan B verifies the D as an original???

Now how's that for a reading with "goodwill"!!!

Hans

Post by Hans » 27 Oct 2002, 22:23

Erik wrote: Was this original known to the "serious" (i.e., non-"revisionist") research before Gerner? But never "photocopied" before?
No, no, that wasn't the case. Pressac knew this document already in 1993 (Les Crematoires d'Auschwitz", CNRS Editions, Paris). Der Spiegel seemed to have produced a photocopy of this document from Moscow in their issue Nr. 40 of 4th October 1993 (Gerner's scan E by the way).
Excuse my "sloppy" and probably not "up-to-date" reading concerning this document, but according the the revisionist polemics that I've "sloppied" with, has this Gerner published his view that this "original" is a falsification, too!!

Mattogno disagrees. Doesn't he?
You are well informed, Erik!
Yes, Mattogno considers Gerner's considerations crap. He thinks that the document in Moscow is the original, he thinks it is possible that it is authentic (note the difference between original and authentic!) and he even thinks it is possible that the figures in this document are authentic (yet false!).

Cheers!

Hans

Post by Hans » 28 Oct 2002, 00:52

Erik,

you wanted to know where do I "KNOW that the facsimiles produced at this site are correct?"

I already gave the reasons for A, B, C, D and E, but you not sure for D, apparently. I claimed "it is reasonable to assume that also D is correct[ly produced]". A nessecary prerequisite is that his scan D and the Moscow document are actual identical.
Here is the proof that this is so:

If 1. the document in the Auschwitz State Museum is identical to the document in Moscow (according to Pressac) and if 2. Gerner has correctly produced the document in the Auschwitz State Museum as scan B (rubber stamp) and if 3. B is identical to D (obvious, compare the scans), then D is also identical to the document in Moscow!

Mathematically:

1. A[uschwitz] = M[oscow]

2. A = B

3. B = D

====> D = M

Now that's NOT a sufficient prerequisite, however, as said, it makes it very reasonable to assume that Gerner has really produced the Moscow document as his scan D, since both are really absolut identical!

By the way, I've removed our two empty posts.

Erik

Post by Erik » 28 Oct 2002, 02:41

Erik,

you wanted to know where do I "KNOW that the facsimiles produced at this site are correct?"

I already gave the reasons for A, B, C, D and E, but you not sure for D, apparently. I claimed "it is reasonable to assume that also D is correct[ly produced]". A nessecary prerequisite is that his scan D and the Moscow document are actual identical.
Here is the proof that this is so:

If 1. the document in the Auschwitz State Museum is identical to the document in Moscow (according to Pressac) and if 2. Gerner has correctly produced the document in the Auschwitz State Museum as scan B (rubber stamp) and if 3. B is identical to D (obvious, compare the scans), then D is also identical to the document in Moscow!

Mathematically:

1. A[uschwitz] = M[oscow]

2. A = B

3. B = D

====> D = M

Now that's NOT a sufficient prerequisite, however, as said, it makes it very reasonable to assume that Gerner has really produced the Moscow document as his scan D, since both are really absolut identical!

By the way, I've removed our two empty posts.

And now you want to remove my empty head, I presume.

Since you are a mathematician, you must have read the following story:

There exists a widely quoted story about Diderot and Euler according to which Euler, in a public debate in St. Petersburg, succeeded in embarrassing the freethinking Diderot by claiming to possess an algebraic demonstration of the existence of God: "Sir, (a+b^n)/n = x; hence God exists, answer please!"

A Concise History of Mathematics, Third Revised Edition, Dover, 1967, p. 129:

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~shallit/euler.html

According to the original(!) story, Diderot “removed” himself back to France.

The trick here, if I understand it rightly, is to ask for the “original” of the terms. Can I do better than to quote yourself?

You wrote:
Quote:
Or, Erik, what do you think, which would be relevant for a document assessment, the original document or the 99 post-war facsimiles of this original or all together?
You're a German, I'm a Swede, we're communicating in a foreign language - and I am no mathematician.

Maybe we're actually having a language problem?

Hans

Post by Hans » 28 Oct 2002, 09:53

Hi Erik,

Let us try it again a bit more comprehensively.

I think we can translate the problem "is Gerner's scan D identical with the Moscow document" (which is absolutely nessecary if he has really photocopied it there!) mathematically into a system of four variables and three relations:

A: the document in the Auschwitz State Museum

B: Gerner's scan B

D: Gerner's scan D

M: the document in the Moscow Archive

Note the following: identical and "=" means here only that the actual text of the document, the spaces between each words and handwritten notes, addings and corrections by the SS are indical, what is legitmate to ignore for now are the rubber stamps put on the documents by the Archives. :idea:

Now, what has to be shown is that M is identical with D.

The relations we already have are:

A is the photocopy of the Moscow document for the Auschwitz State Museum, or A is identical with M, mathematically:

1. A = M

Gerner has correctly produced A, the Auschwitz State Museum document, as B, or A is identical with B, mathematically:

2. A = B

B is obviously identical with D, mathematically:

3. B = D

If these relations are true, is also D = M ????

Yes, because 3. put in 2. makes

4. A = D

and 4. put in 1. makes

5. D = M. q.e.d.

So we know now that the text and its charasteristics as they were produced by the SS (spaces between the words, handwritten notes) of the document in Moscow are identical with the text and its characteristics of the Gerner scan D; that is what the above proves.

Since we have ignored the post war stamps in the above, we take this now into account. If Gerner has really produced the Moscow document as D, then the Moscow document and D must have also identical rubber stamps (or the lack thereof). Now, from Pressac and Mattogno we know that the document in the Auschwitz State Museum is simply a photocopy of the Moscow document. In other words, if we remove (in our mind) the rubber stamp of the Auschwitz State Museum Archive dcoument we arrive (in our mind) at the Moscow document, that is the Moscow document looks like the Auschwitz State Museum document without rubber stamp. But that is exactly how D looks like, thus the Moscow document and D have indeed the same rubber stamps (or lack thereof).

Further, we can surely trust Gerner that he has produced the Moscow document correctly as D, because we know (or think, at least) that he has already produced the other four documents correctly.

In addition, there is absolutely no evidence, no reason, nothing that would indicate he has NOT produced tbe Moscow document correctly nor would it make any sense for Gerner to produce D from somewhere else, but claiming that it is from Moscow!

In conclusion, everything speaks for it that D is a correctly scanned photocopy of the Moscow document!

:D

Erik

Post by Erik » 28 Oct 2002, 17:07

Am I allowed to reproduce the praise of your analysis and the logic of your conclusion posted by Mr Kaschner? (With my emphasis?)
But I think your painstaking analysis deserves the highest praise, and the logic of your conclusion - that the original must govern, and that differences in copies or transcripots are irrelevant - is IMHO impeccable.
Thank you for it.

Regards, Kaschner
But there are more “buts” coming up, I’m afraid.

Maybe we are disputing about “distinctions without consequences”?

We’re ALL originals in the end, aren’t we? Even if our DNA’s are “copied” somewhere along the line from Adam and Eve (or “Lucy”)?

Every copy is an original to its own copy?

But let's proceed with the disputing, notwithstanding the "consequences"!

Here is from your posting addressed to Roberto:
Secondly, the scan provided by Nizkor is not a good example, since this version does indeed differ from the others. The notes "Für die Richtigkeit der Abschrift" and "Abschrift" and the signature was not written by the SS but after the war by the person who made the fascimile , also the signature of Jährling has been placed wrongly (this document is unsigned). The same is true for the other facsimiles Meyer has in mind, there were all made after the war by archivists etc.. So there are some different facsimiles of the document made by archivists and book authors, but what Meyer completely ignores is that there is only one - ONE - original (no facsimile) of the document, thus Meyer's argument against the authenticy of the document ("there are different versions") is bunk.

Later:
The fact that 99 different post-war facsimiles exist of this original is completely irrelevant when we have the original. However, Meyer has based his reasoning on exactly this irrelevant fact:

"I expressed the view that doubt about the authenticity of the document is justified. There are several reasons for this, above all the existence of three different facsimile versions." (Meyer)

Isn't it irrelevant how many different post-war facsimile he has seen? There is only one relevant version for the document assessment, the original. Period.

Now you write:
Further, we can surely trust Gerner that he has produced the Moscow document correctly as D, because we know (or think, at least) that he has already produced the other four documents correctly.

In addition, there is absolutely no evidence, no reason, nothing that would indicate he has NOT produced tbe Moscow document correctly nor would it make any sense for Gerner to produce D from somewhere else, but claiming that it is from Moscow!

In conclusion, everything speaks for it that D is a correctly scanned photocopy of the Moscow document!
(My emphasis).

Now you have proven mathematically “that D is a correctly scanned photocopy of the Moscow document!”

May I quote my earlier question?
If you “retouch” a facsimile, by removing the irrelevancies that “…are merely mistakes, inaccuracies or legetimate notes of archivists,”(from your reply to Mr Dan (Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:17 pm), do you arrive at the “original”?

Or is this only a “clean copy”? A compromise?

Re-quote (partly) from above:
So there are some different facsimiles of the document made by archivists and book authors, but what Meyer completely ignores is that there is only one - ONE - original (no facsimile) of the document, thus Meyer's argument against the authenticy of the document ("there are different versions") is bunk.
(My emphasis.)

So: is D a photocopy, “cleaner” than the others, OR the original?

You assessed Meyers argument thusly:
In short, his argument is about the accuracy of the post-war facsimiles of the original, but not about the authenticy of the original itself.

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:44 am

Is your argument about the accuracy of the D photocopy,”but not about the authenticy of the original itself”.?

So, now, aren’t you "tarring yourself with the same brush”?

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 28 Oct 2002, 17:17

Erik wrote:Is your argument about the accuracy of the D photocopy,”but not about the authenticy of the original itself”.?

The philosopher seems to have the usual trouble in making himself understood.

What exactly is the poor fellow trying to tell us?

What point - if any - is he trying to make?

Erik

Post by Erik » 28 Oct 2002, 18:02

Roberto wrote:

Roberto wrote:
Kellerhoff wrote:

Of course historiography can and must revise the findings of previous researchers -- and if need be reject them. Only, historians must, according to the topic, handle such revisions (literally) particularly attentively -- otherwise they play into the hands of those who unjustly call themselves "revisionists".

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:20 pm

Hans wrote:
Secondly, the scan provided by Nizkor is not a good example, since this version does indeed differ from the others. The notes "Für die Richtigkeit der Abschrift" and "Abschrift" and the signature was not written by the SS but after the war by the person who made the fascimile , also the signature of Jährling has been placed wrongly (this document is unsigned). The same is true for the other facsimiles Meyer has in mind, there were all made after the war by archivists etc.. So there are some different facsimiles of the document made by archivists and book authors, but what Meyer completely ignores is that there is only one - ONE - original (no facsimile) of the document, thus Meyer's argument against the authenticy of the document ("there are different versions") is bunk.

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:00 pm

(Erik’s emphases).

Roberto wrote:
Hans,

Your corrections are appreciated. They show this forum at its best.

Cheers,

Roberto
Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:59 pm

If you produce bunk you risk to “… play into the hands of those who unjustly call themselves "revisionists".”

Can you say that better yourself?

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 28 Oct 2002, 18:43

Erik wrote:Roberto wrote:

Roberto wrote:
Kellerhoff wrote:

Of course historiography can and must revise the findings of previous researchers -- and if need be reject them. Only, historians must, according to the topic, handle such revisions (literally) particularly attentively -- otherwise they play into the hands of those who unjustly call themselves "revisionists".

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:20 pm

Hans wrote:

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:00 pm

(Erik’s emphases).

Roberto wrote:
Hans,

Your corrections are appreciated. They show this forum at its best.

Cheers,

Roberto
Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:59 pm

If you produce bunk you risk to “… play into the hands of those who unjustly call themselves "revisionists".”

Can you say that better yourself?
Interesting ramblings, except that I'm not conscious of having produced any "bunk", assuming that this is what the philosopher is trying to tell us.

And I still haven't understood what point the philosopher was trying to make in regard to the original of the AB Bauleitung document and the accuracy of a photocopy thereof.

Erik

Post by Erik » 28 Oct 2002, 20:25

Interesting ramblings, except that I'm not conscious of having produced any "bunk", assuming that this is what the philosopher is trying to tell us.

And I still haven't understood what point the philosopher was trying to make in regard to the original of the AB Bauleitung document and the accuracy of a photocopy thereof.

Show this forum at its best! Read the postings!

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 28 Oct 2002, 20:50

Erik wrote:

Show this forum at its best! Read the postings!
As the philosopher well knows, I was referring to his statement that goes
Erik wrote:Is your argument about the accuracy of the D photocopy,”but not about the authenticy of the original itself”.?

Hans

Post by Hans » 28 Oct 2002, 21:00

Erik,

Neither I understand what your point is.

Dan

Post by Dan » 28 Oct 2002, 22:19

Erik, lately you've been bringing up good points, but if you'll remember my admonition of several months ago, sometime you speak as though you're speakng to yourself. Try to concentrate on the point you're making without being ambiguous.

Also, address an issue seperately, without tossing in unnessecary details, because the details sometimes confuse people, and sometimes detract from your argument, like a few posts ago when you confused Nicea with Carthage.

But keep it up.

Regards

Erik

Post by Erik » 29 Oct 2002, 01:24

Roberto wrote:
As the philosopher well knows, I was referring to his statement that goes
Erik wrote:
Is your argument about the accuracy of the D photocopy,”but not about the authenticy of the original itself”.?

And Hans wrote:
Erik,

Neither I understand what your point is.

Well, as I said – I may have a language problem.

May I requote that old fuddy-duddy from an earlier posting above?

It’s from the same Epistle to the Reader in Locke’s Essay :
There are few, I believe, who have not observed in themselves or others, that what in one way of proposing was very obscure, another way of expressing it has made very clear and intelligible; though afterwards the mind found little difference in the phrases, and wondered why one failed to be understood more than the other. But everything does not hit alike upon every man's imagination. We have our understandings no less different than our palates; and he that thinks the same truth shall be equally relished by every one in the same dress, may as well hope to feast every one with the same sort of cookery: the meat may be the same, and the nourishment good, yet every one not be able to receive it with that seasoning; and it must be dressed another way, if you will have it go down with some, even of strong constitutions.
I will refrain from repeating too much. But let’s take it from this quote:
"I expressed the view that doubt about the authenticity of the document is justified. There are several reasons for this, above all the existence of three different facsimile versions."
(Meyer)

Meyer thinks they are different.

Hans proves mathematically that they are alike.

So there are some different facsimiles of the document made by archivists and book authors, but what Meyer completely ignores is that there is only one - ONE - original (no facsimile) of the document, thus Meyer's argument against the authenticy of the document ("there are different versions") is bunk.
(My emphases).

Different facsimiles do not mean that there are different versions, necessarily.
The fact that 99 different post-war facsimiles exist of this original is completely irrelevant when we have the original. However, Meyer has based his reasoning on exactly this irrelevant fact.
Here Hans says that they are different.

But they are similar, just the same! Since they are the same “version” of the original?

Since D is the same as B, “we have the original”?? Is that it?
Or, Erik, what do you think, which would be relevant for a document assessment, the original document or the 99 post-war facsimiles of this original or all together?
There is no “difference” in that quote, is there?

Hans doesn’t write “…or the 99 DIFFERENT post-war facsimiles of this original”, does he?

But he did above!

“Semantics”, as Mr. Kaschner is wont to say.

“What’s in a difference?”

Here is a note that Hans “highlights”(if I understand the emoticon :idea: rightly):
Note the following: identical and "=" means here only that the actual text of the document, the spaces between each words and handwritten notes, addings and corrections by the SS are indical, what is legitmate to ignore for now are the rubber stamps put on the documents by the Archives.
(I take “indical” to mean “identical”. Or is it a juridical term? “Index,indicis”?)

Maybe that is the clue to the “difference”? They aren’t different after all, if you ignore the differences?

Hans wrote :
Isn't it irrelevant how many different post-war facsimile he has seen? There is only one relevant version for the document assessment, the original. Period.
Hans concludes:

But Meyer argued, according to Hans:
In short, his argument is about the accuracy of the post-war facsimiles of the original, but not about the authenticy of the original itself.
Now Hans argues “about the accuracy of the post-war facsimiles of the original, but not about the authenticy of the original itself.”

Doesn’t he?Respectively,"does he"?

Then isn’t Hans “tarring himself with the same brush” he is using against Meyer?

I paraphrase quotes from Hans:

"Isn't it irrelevant how many similar post-war facsimile he has seen? There is only one relevant version for the document assessment, the original. Period".

"The fact that 99 similar post-war facsimiles exist of this original is completely irrelevant when we have the original. However, Hans has based his reasoning on exactly this irrelevant fact".

(see originals(!) above.Emphasized parts are falsifications!!)

And a “re-quote” from the above(authentic!!unfalsified!!):
Note: the “difference”!!

And the questions "of relevance" remain unanswered : how do we “know” we have the original? From Mattogno? Pressac? Van Pelt? How do THEY know? From internal evidence? How do they debunk Gerner?

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”