Recommended reading on the Kriegsmarine

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Felix C

Re: Recommended reading on the Kriegsmarine

Postby Felix C » 07 Jan 2017 02:43

Recommend two books. Both by Lawrence Paterson.
http://www.usni.org/store/books/spring- ... -flotillas

https://www.amazon.com/Schnellboots-Law ... 1848320833

I have read the Schnellboot book and it is a very well done. I expect the same from the security flotilla book. LP uses KTBs as his source. Typically very well done.

ProxyCentauri

Postby ProxyCentauri » 26 Feb 2017 19:21

Cannot see anyone has mentioned 'Schlachtschiff Bismarck', written by the 4.Artilleryofficer on board and the officer with the highest rank
that survived, Baron von Mullenheim-Rechberg.
Since I was a little boy and found 'Sink The Bismarck' written by Sir L.Kennedy this ship has been one of my
passions of military history and I dare say I have read and seen quite a lot regarding her. To this day I havent found anything that
catches what must have been the spirit of her crew, the complicated reasoning her leadership had to do, her battles with
HMS Hood and HMS Prince of Wales, her last fight etc
I would clearly recommend it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

biercemountain

Postby biercemountain » 20 Mar 2017 01:01

Years ago I bought "The German Navy in World War II" by Edward P. Von der Porten. Provides a good overview of the Kriegsmarine from both a military and political standpoint.

My go-to resource for information on the ships of the Kriegsmarine is "Battleships - Axis and Neutral Battleships in World War II" by William H. Garzke, Jr. and Robert O. Dulin, Jr. An investment, but worth every penny.

Paul

Goofer

Postby Goofer » 28 Mar 2017 09:22

@ProxyCentauri
Since I was a little boy and found 'Sink The Bismarck' written by Sir L.Kennedy this ship has been one of my
passions of military history and I dare say I have read and seen quite a lot regarding her. To this day I haven't found anything that
catches what must have been the spirit of her crew, the complicated reasoning her leadership had to do, her battles with
HMS Hood and HMS Prince of Wales, her last fight etc
I would clearly recommend it

You have misremembered the books. Sink the Bismarck was an account of the sortie by C. S. Forester with very little hard data, basically a novelization. The same book also seems to have been published under other titles. Sir Ludovic Kennedy wrote Pursuit: the Chase and Sinking of the Battleship Bismarck, which was a well-researched history. The author participated in that action as an officer in HM Destroyer Tartar.

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”