BR BB Estimates Prior to Bismarck Cruise?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
g.flotron

BR BB Estimates Prior to Bismarck Cruise?

Post by g.flotron » 01 Nov 2018, 23:23

Like probably many of you, I have read over a dozen (and counting) books on the Bismarck, but I have never seen anyone address Lütjens’ staff’s appreciation of BR battleship dispositions at the time of her cruise.
I believe German Naval Intelligence estimated the BR Home Fleet had 4 BBs/BCs, but that the Prince of Wales was not yet operational.
-Were they aware that the Malaya was under repair in the US, and that the Resolution and Royal Sovereign were refitting?
-What was their latest count on BR BBs at Alexandria? They had to assume at least 3-4 were still present.
-I read in Ian Ballantyne’s book on the Rodney that the crew was unaware they were headed to the US, but was it a secret in expectant US shipyards?
-Was it assumed that at least one BR BB was always working out of Halifax?
It seems to me that if the entire Fleet Staff was onboard, the location of every British battleship would be of the utmost concern and importance.
Any answers to above would be greatly appreciated

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Re: BR BB Estimates Prior to Bismarck Cruise?

Post by Terry Duncan » 02 Nov 2018, 15:05

Just working from memory, but I am positive the Germans had no idea Prince of Wales was operational, indeed she was identified as King George V in the initial encounter at Denmark Straits and this was accepted as correct in Berlin and never corrected during the operation. I am not sure they even thought she was at the point of conducting trials at the time Bismarck left port. Then again, she was far from ready for anything much and even at the time of her loss was still suffering from being rushed into service and used as a taxi by Churchill, so it is easy to see how she was missed out of estimates.

g.flotron

Post by g.flotron » 02 Nov 2018, 16:30

While I know Lutgens decision not to pursue the POW has been discussed extensively on other threads, the fact that he thought/assumed he was facing the KGV/Fleet Flagship, and the only real threat to the Bismarck, has always been the deciding factor in my opinion that he should have pursued her.
Especially as it relates to my question above.

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Post by Terry Duncan » 03 Nov 2018, 00:34

A decision to 'pursue' could lead Lutjens into a battle with Prince of Wales for a battleship one-on-one, but a 1 vs 2 for Prinz Eugen against the British cruisers, along with the eight destroyers Holland had left behind him. The outcome of such an encounter is likely to see Bismarck in no condition to undertake a long journey in any direction, and having little idea where the rest of the British fleet is there really isn't a sensible way for Lutjens to continue or even get home. The major issue for Lutjens would likely be that if he was facing the fleet flagship there would likely be other ships not too far away, quite possibly a Nelson class ship or at least another cruiser squadron.

g.flotron

Post by g.flotron » 09 Nov 2018, 22:43

I understand all your points which is why my original question intrigues me so.
The Hood, Repulse, Renown, and “KGV” would be the only current capital ships capable of catching the Bismarck. One of the 4 just blew up and another looks to be damaged and is only firing partial salvos. If that ship was encountered while protecting a convoy, she would have been engaged.
If an R-Class or Nelson appeared over the horizon, turn on the speed and escape.
Never really added up to me other than the strict adherence to operational orders regardless of opportunity.
I know this has been debated endlessly, and not my intent to reignite here.
I’m just so very curious as to where Raeder, Lutgens, Lindemann, et al had all the BR BBs located on a big board, as obviously they had one.
They had to know about the three repairing and refitting in the US, right???

Polar bear

Post by Polar bear » 28 Nov 2018, 10:44

hi,

you might check the KTB Skl., May, 1941, to see whether there's any estimate of the RN's BB's distribution.

greetings, the pb
Peace hath her victories no less renowned than War
(John Milton, the poet, in a letter to the Lord General Cromwell, May 1652)

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”