FdS Rudolf Petersen [Leader of Schnellboots]

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Edward L. Hsiao

FdS Rudolf Petersen [Leader of Schnellboots]

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 10 Dec 2019, 13:07

Shortly after WWII Rudolf Petersen, Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves was a trial navel judge that had no choice but to confirm the death sentence to three German sailors who deserted their post. Petersen was tried by a German court who sentenced him to imprisonment for how long? I don't think Petersen was in prison long. Maybe in prison for a few months then released due to poor health. Petersen was tried again and found him innocent. Rudolf Petersen was leader of the S-boots during WWII.

Edward L. Hsiao

Polar bear

Re: FdS Rudolf Petersen [Leader of Schnellboots]

Post by Polar bear » 15 Feb 2020, 18:02

hi,
Edward L. Hsiao wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 13:07
Shortly after WWII Rudolf Petersen, Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves was a trial navel judge that had no choice but to confirm the death sentence to three German sailors who deserted their post. Petersen was tried by a German court who sentenced him to imprisonment for how long? I don't think Petersen was in prison long. Maybe in prison for a few months then released due to poor health. Petersen was tried again and found him innocent. Rudolf Petersen was leader of the S-boots during WWII.
There are several errors:
1. Petersen was not a judge, but the Senior Officer E-boats (Führer der Schnellboote) who had to confirm (or change) the sentences of the court martials in his area of reponsibility. He was known for his humanity in changing many hard sentences to milder ones.
2. The three young men had not deserted a post, but ran away during a nightly celebration.
3. Petersen had indeed the choice not to confirm the death sentences but in this case he didn`t. A long discussion with the lawyer attached to the E-boats and some of his officers had preceded the confirmation of the sentences.
4. After the war, Petersen was accused and acquitted in the first trial, sentenced to two years in prison in the second, and, after appeal, acquitted finally in the third trial. Between the trials, he spent nearly 11 month in prison in custody. The judges found that he had erred in confirming the sentences but that he was not culpable.
5. During the first two years of the war, Petersen was Senior Officer 2nd E-boat flottilla. In April, 1942, he became "Führer der Schnellboote", i.e. the Senior Officer of all E-boats.

greetings, the pb
Peace hath her victories no less renowned than War
(John Milton, the poet, in a letter to the Lord General Cromwell, May 1652)

JKernwerk

Post by JKernwerk » 16 Feb 2020, 00:24

His commandbunker in Scheveningen is still present, the one that built in Utrecht was demolished a few years ago.
JK

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 16 Feb 2020, 01:36

Sometimes I wondered how Rudolf Petersen was treated while being in prison custody for these nearly 11 months after the second trial. He was fortunately he was not guilty when he on a third trial after an appeal. I'm glad Rudolf Petersen was finally free.

Edward L. Hsiao

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 16 Feb 2020, 08:40

I sincerely hope that Rudolf Petersen received full compensation for the nearly eleven months of unhealthy stay in prison. First he was tried,not guilty. Second he was tried,guilty. Third and final time he was tried, not guilty! Freedom at last for this tired,thin man named Rudolf Petersen.

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao

Pips

Post by Pips » 17 Feb 2020, 03:31

I'm guessing that the Germans didn't believe in 'double jeopardy'?

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”