German surface ships attacking Arctic Convoys WW2

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Hugh Sebag-Montefiore

German surface ships attacking Arctic Convoys WW2

Post by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore » 30 Jun 2020, 15:40

Hello I am a historian writing a book about the Arctic convoys of WW2. I have been commissioned by the British publisher Harper Collins. I am wondering whether any forum users have any interesting information about the German surface ships which attacked these convoys. For example do any you know of any vivid written or recorded accounts of what was witnessed or relevant photos or little-known books. I am particularly interested in accounts of what happened on those convoys where there were battles or where ships were sunk. If anyone can help, please contact me. It would also be very useful if you could tell me about any other groups, associations, clubs, online forums or people that I should contact. I would be most grateful for any suggestions.

Texas Jäger

Re: German surface ships attacking Arctic Convoys WW2

Post by Texas Jäger » 17 Aug 2020, 08:56

Hugh Sebag-Montefiore wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 15:40
Hello I am a historian writing a book about the Arctic convoys of WW2. I have been commissioned by the British publisher Harper Collins. I am wondering whether any forum users have any interesting information about the German surface ships which attacked these convoys. For example do any you know of any vivid written or recorded accounts of what was witnessed or relevant photos or little-known books. I am particularly interested in accounts of what happened on those convoys where there were battles or where ships were sunk. If anyone can help, please contact me. It would also be very useful if you could tell me about any other groups, associations, clubs, online forums or people that I should contact. I would be most grateful for any suggestions.
Hi Hugh, on the Battle of the North Cape there is a documentary from 1992 uploaded to YouTube with vivid accounts from both the British and the Scharnhorst survivors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP-0d7Ypko4

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

antwony

Re: German surface ships attacking Arctic Convoys WW2

Post by antwony » 17 Aug 2020, 11:36

Have you gone through the oral history collection of IWM? A search for: Arctic Convoy yields 208 hits. Each file contains a short description, which should save you some time. I'm not sure if all their audio files are available online.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/sear ... ound%5D=on

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”