Id. warship

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
garlock

Re: Id. warship

Post by garlock » 27 Sep 2010, 03:58

Hello all,
Referring to the ship posted at: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 5#p1507355

1. Thanks for the reference to Illinois class pre-dreadnaught battleships. Seems that this ship is that type.
2. Photo comes from album of German military photos, so I am surprised to see a photo of an American ship.
3. Ship looks most like the Illinois herself, with some detail differences.
4. I couldn't find a German ship like this.
5. Why would an American ship end up in a German military album of snapshots taken by German soldiers? The album spans WWI to around 1942.
6. Could the North Atlantic fleet have been visiting a German port during interwar years?

thanks,
John

Twilight

Post by Twilight » 27 Sep 2010, 08:02

Hi.

No. In 1920-30 some the German warships visited the American ports during training voyages (for example CRL EMDEN).
garlock wrote:Hello all,
Referring to the ship posted at: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 5#p1507355
6. Could the North Atlantic fleet have been visiting a German port during interwar years?
John
Best regards

Alex

igorr

Post by igorr » 27 Sep 2010, 09:27

Polar bear, ship on photo definetly not serving after 1955, so your post was quite confusing.

Polar bear

Post by Polar bear » 27 Sep 2010, 09:31

garlock wrote:Hello all,
5. Why would an American ship end up in a German military album of snapshots taken by German soldiers? The album spans WWI to around 1942.
Afaik, the ships got a lattice mast after the war. This picture looks pre-war (WW I) to me.

Could it have been taken (in contrast to the time span mentioned above) during the "Great White Fleet"s tour (in which all 3 Illinois-class BBs participated) ?
Peace hath her victories no less renowned than War
(John Milton, the poet, in a letter to the Lord General Cromwell, May 1652)

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 27 Sep 2010, 09:39

I agree with Polar bear.

Pre WWI due to mast and not cage, as all the ships of the class
seem to have been refitted and upgraded prior to WWI.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Illinois_(BB-7)

waleed

garlock

Post by garlock » 27 Sep 2010, 14:31

Thank you,
I was kind of thinking pre-WWI because of the short duration of the Illinois class as viable war vessels. Yes, the Great White Fleet did include this class. This photo adds a new era and dimension to my album, then. American ship? Is it one of the three Illinois class built? I don't want to take up too much thread with just my one photo.

again, regards,
John

Polar bear

Post by Polar bear » 27 Sep 2010, 19:50

hi, igorr
igorr wrote:Polar bear, ship on photo definetly not serving after 1955, so your post was quite confusing.
sorry.

I like to point out "time-lines" between different history phases.
Peace hath her victories no less renowned than War
(John Milton, the poet, in a letter to the Lord General Cromwell, May 1652)

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 28 Sep 2010, 01:07

I'm now positive it is the Illinois. She had a very visible difference to the other two.
Compare the port holes shown on the Alabama and Wisconsin ("parallel" and equally spaced
between and over each other) to those of the Illinois.

waleed

garlock

Post by garlock » 28 Sep 2010, 05:25

Yes, that is what I thought, but I also thought I detected a couple of small differences--I think in the conning tower--between my photo and the ones in the references you and others have given me. Well, now I'll try to find some type of cruise history for the Illinois.

thanks again,
John

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 28 Sep 2010, 08:54

:)
After shakedown and training in Chesapeake Bay, the new battleship sailed 20 November 1901 for Algiers, Louisiana, where she was used to test a new floating dry dock. She returned to Newport News in January 1902 and from 15 February to 28 February served as flagship for Rear Admiral R.D. Evans during the reception for Prince Henry of Prussia. Bearing the flag of Rear Admiral A.S. Crowninshield, the battleship departed New York City on 30 April 1902 and arrived at Naples on 18 May, where the Admiral took command of the European Squadron. Illinois carried out training and ceremonial duties until 14 July 1902, when she grounded in the harbor of Kristiania, Norway, and had to return to England for repairs. She remained at Chatham until 1 September 1902, then proceeded to the Mediterranean Sea and South Atlantic for fleet maneuvers.

Illinois was detached from the European Squadron 10 January 1903 and assigned to the North Atlantic. She engaged in fleet maneuvers, gunnery and seamanship training, and ceremonial operations until December 1907, when she joined the Great White Fleet for the cruise around the world. Following a Presidential review, the mighty battleships sailed from Hampton Roads on their important voyage. The Atlantic Fleet joined the Pacific Fleet 8 May 1908 in San Francisco Bay and after a review by the Secretary of the Navy the combined fleets continued their cruise. The ships visited Australia, Japan, Ceylon, and other countries, arriving at Suez on 3 January 1909. At Suez word of the Sicilian earthquake sent Illinois, Connecticut, and Culgoa to Messina. After rendering valuable aid to victims of the disaster, the ships rejoined the fleet, returning to Hampton Roads 22 February 1909. President of the United States Theodore Roosevelt reviewed the fleet as it arrived, having given the world a graphic demonstration of America's naval might. Illinois decommissioned at Boston, Massachusetts, on 4 August 1909. Illinois underwent a major modernization, receiving new "cage" masts and more modern equipment.
http://www.battleshipsandcarriers.com/bb07.htm

waleed

bechelaren

Post by bechelaren » 28 Sep 2010, 15:58

igorr wrote:Artilleriefährprähme based on MFP typ D - only this prahme have big guns (8.8) with shilds. On photo of course AF typ D1 or D2.
Coming back to above note from Igorr:

The photo in question was really made at Cherbourg - see other photos in Fortifications & Artiller section. The only
AT Group operating from Cherbourg in summer 1944 was Grupper Karl of 6.A- Flottille. This group consisted of AF 65,66,68 and 71.
They all belonged to A and B types, 3rd modification ( 3.Ausführung). They carried 2x 8,8 cm SK C/35, 1 x 3,7 cm SK C/30,
2 x Flakvierling 38 and 1x 15 mm MG 151. Their 3,7 cm was positioned behind the bridge while on AT type D this gun
is IN FRONT of the bridge ( at least on all photos and drawings I have seen). So far as I know, all AFs carried 8,8 cm and
only the very first ones carried them without shields.
Only AFs of D- type ( 3rd modification) used on Danube carried 2x10,5 cm SK C/32 guns

chenhongjuan

Post by chenhongjuan » 29 Sep 2010, 07:19

Mischa wrote:Hello Sturm78,
a very nice Räumbootugg boots , but I must look for the Flottilla-number.
Ragards
Mischa
Thank you very much, Mischa. :D

chenhongjuan

Post by chenhongjuan » 29 Sep 2010, 07:20

Waleed Y. Majeed wrote::)
After shakedown and training in Chesapeake Bay, the new battleship sailed 20 November 1901 for Algiers, Louisiana, where she was used to test a new floating dry dock. She returned to Newport News in January 1902 and from 15 February to 28 February served as flagship for Rear Admiral R.D. Evans during the reception for Prince Henry of Prussia. Bearing the flag of Rear Admiral A.S. Crowninshield, the battleship departed New York City on 30 April 1902 and arrived at Naples on 18 May, where the Admiral took command of the European Squadron. Illinois carried out training and ceremonial duties until 14 July 1902, when she grounded in the harbor of Kristiania, Norway, and had to return to England for repairs. She remained at Chatham until 1 September 1902, then proceeded to the Mediterranean Sea and South Atlantic for fleet maneuvers.

Illinois was detached from the European Squadron 10 January 1903 and assigned to the North Atlantic. She engaged in fleet maneuvers, gunnery and seamanship training, and ceremonial operations until December 1907, when she joined the Great White Fleet for the cruise around the world. Following a Presidential review, the mighty battleships sailed from Hampton Roads on their important voyage. The Atlantic Fleet joined the Pacific Fleet 8 May 1908 in San Francisco Bay and after a review by the Secretary of the Navy the combined fleets continued their cruise. The ships visited Australia, Japan, Ceylon, and other countries, arriving at Suez on 3 January 1909. At Suez word of the Sicilian earthquake sent Illinois, Connecticut, and Culgoa to Messina. After rendering valuable aid to victims of the disaster, the ships rejoined the fleet, returning to Hampton Roads 22 February 1909. President of the United States Theodore Roosevelt reviewed the fleet as it arrived, having given the world a graphic demonstration of America's naval might. Illinois decommissioned at Boston, Massachusetts, on 4 August 1909. Illinois underwent a major modernization, receiving new "cage" masts and more modern equipment.
ugg

waleed
The photo in question was really made at Cherbourg - see other photos in Fortifications & Artiller section. The only
AT Group operating from Cherbourg in summer 1944 was Grupper Karl of 6.A- Flottille. This group consisted of AF 65,66,68 and 71.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 29 Sep 2010, 17:23

chenhongjuan, the quote was meant as a reply to Garlock and has
nothing to do with German artillery ferries.

It's about USS Illinois and how a picture of her ended up in a German photo album...

Cheers
waleed

garlock

Post by garlock » 30 Sep 2010, 17:55

Thanks Waleed and everyone who has helped with my photo. I am getting a sense of how to look at naval matters, so I'll do some homework before posting a future photo. Is it easier to study large naval ships than, say, aircraft, because there would be so many fewer ships than planes, and because each of the ships would be named?

regards,
John

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”