Leichter Kreuzer 'Emden'

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Hundi

Leichter Kreuzer 'Emden'

Post by Hundi » 05 Dec 2010, 22:57

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=12321

Hi guys!

Days ago I've sent a PM to Mr. Wendell to provide more info of the Light Cruiser Emden, now I'm worried because I didn't receive any reply... I hope he is ok.

So here is the info and the little correction I sent to his Factbook....

After reading the info about the voyages of the Emden, I found a little gap on the info regarding his trip to Guatemala, the visit was real... take a look.

AHF wrote:The 6th journey started on 23 Oct 1935 and took in the Azores, the West Indies and Veneauela, through the Panama Canal to Guayaquil where she spent Christmas. From there she visited San Jose de Guatemala and Portland/Oregon then on to Honolulu. From Hawaii she went back to Central America, again through the Panama Canal and visited some ports in the West Indies. The ship then went north to Baltimore and then Montreal. She was again stationed at Ponteverda in Spain then was back at her home port on 11 Jun 1936.
In the paragraph were you can read 'San Jose de Guatemala'... well, the correct name of that place is 'Puerto de San Jose' -San Jose port- located in Escuintla, this is a seaside town in the south of Guatemala.

So, I take this info I've found here in a weekend magazine in the printed version, I'll translate for you :D
Revista D wrote:In January 1936, the light german cruiser Emden, visit the country during one of its expeditionary voyages, arrving at the docks in 'Puerto de San Jose, Escuintla', the crew of the vessel was well received by the ruler of the country General Jorge Ubico. General Ubico always enjoy a military march in the streets of Guatemala City, the crewmembers adn the captain of the German vessel enjoy the welcome ceremony, for delight of such a great host -Gen. Ubico-, the marines of the Emden march along the streets of Guatemala City, the population joyfully came to see such a glorious parade.... One of the reasons for the arriving of the german vessel in Guatemala, was for the import/export of goods, the germans exports at the time, even in our days, bags of coffee, hundreds of shipments of that delicious grain was delighted in german soil, also the small german colony in the country has the biggest coffe grain production.....
btw, General Jorge Ubico, was the president of my Country at that era.

So the Guatemalan-German relations were good, untill USA push the local goverment to declare war on Germany after the Pearl Harbor attack, and this was followed to the expropiation of all of the german coffe plantation, deportation of Germans and Germans born in Guatemalan soil to prissoners camps in the US and then deported again to Germany after the war, I have no words for this actions.... Later I'll create a topic about the little german colony in the country and the very small branch of the NS partei.

And now the pictures that appear in the magazine.

In the lower left corner is the crew of the Emden during the parade.
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3418/dsc01347w.jpg

Here is a enlargement of the photo.
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3006/dsc01345a.jpg

Here you can see some extract of newspapers of the era showing the relations of both cuntries, also the congratulations sent by Adolf Hitler to Gen. Ubico.
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/400/dsc01349q.jpg

The source is Revista D, 18 de Noviembre del 2007. Guatemala // november 18th 2007.

--------------

Regards.

/Hundi.

Marcus

Re: Leichter Kreuzer 'Emden'

Post by Marcus » 05 Dec 2010, 23:04

Hundi wrote:Days ago I've sent a PM to Mr. Wendell to provide more info of the Light Cruiser Emden, now I'm worried because I didn't receive any reply... I hope he is ok.
I'm ok, I've just been travelling.

/Marcus

Hundi

Post by Hundi » 07 Dec 2010, 06:58

Marcus Wendel wrote: I'm ok, I've just been travelling.

/Marcus

Ok good to know that Marcus.

regards.

/Hundi.

Dachhase

Post by Dachhase » 08 Dec 2011, 08:40

More generally on Emden. Her career was luckier than could even be imagined. The Handelsverkehrsbuch (HVB), containing the code in which German warships communicated with German merchant ships, was captured from the German merchantman Hobart early in the war. Despite changes in the cipher used in conjunction with it, the ability to read these messages was never lost, except for a few days, as long as it was in use. The RN always had a fair idea of Emden's locality whenever she made arrangements to meet a merchantman to take on supplies, but the warships sent to intercept her always arrived too late, sometimes by a matter of only hours.
The original copy of the HVB, a large red volume, and some of the cryptanalytical work in connection with it, are in the library of the Australian War Museum in Canberra, but if you are looking for it you might be unlucky enough to come across an obtuse or obstructive member of staff who says it does not exist. You just have to insist that it does, until somebody more knowledgeable turns up.

mescal

Post by mescal » 08 Dec 2011, 11:08

The RN always had a fair idea of Emden's locality whenever she made arrangements to meet a merchantman to take on supplies, but the warships sent to intercept her always arrived too late, sometimes by a matter of only hours.
You're speaking of the WW 1 light cruiser SMS Emden, aren't you ?
Because AFAIK, the WW2 Emden never went further away from Germany than the southern North Sea, and spent actually most of the war in the Baltic, where the RN would have had problem to intercept her. :wink:
Olivier

Dachhase

Post by Dachhase » 08 Dec 2011, 13:10

Yes, most certainly about the World War 1 Emden. Sorry if I misunderstood. I got a bit mixed up in threads, but somebody had posted about the ship grounding, and Captain Glossop's comments, and that, of course, all referred to the earlier Emden.

Hundi

Post by Hundi » 27 Oct 2013, 01:19

Just a picture posted on the fb page of an association of military history from Guatemala.

Parade of the crew of the Emdem
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... t=1&ref=nf

and the previous pics I posted before.

Dachhase

Post by Dachhase » 27 Oct 2013, 04:19

The centenary of the foundation of the Royal Australian Navy was celebrated a few weeks ago. In the TV presentation of its history, the Sydney-Emden battle was mentioned. (The Sydney-Kormoran battle was not mentioned.)
Germany did not send a ship to join the flotilla review in Sydney Harbour, but presented the RAN with a symbolic Iron Cross. (I hope that it was First Class.)

Hundi

Post by Hundi » 28 Oct 2013, 01:11

some more pics of the parade

who must be the KzS Johannes Bachmann?

source: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Asociaci ... 8599566622

Panzer84

Post by Panzer84 » 08 Oct 2018, 03:52

I have a postcard from Emden whenshe visited the USA in 1936

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”