Question: Naval Warfare In The Black sea

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
luka17

Question: Naval Warfare In The Black sea

Post by luka17 » 23 Nov 2011 11:15

Hello!

I'm a new one here and I've got a question:

In Karl Dönitz's memoirs "Ten Years And Twenty Days" there's achapter called "The Black Sea Theater Of Operations" Kwhere he writes:
"...the successes scored by the German Air Force and the German and Italian naval forces against Russian warships and merchant shipping..."

Where can I find some more information about the shipping sunk in the black sea?

As I see on amazon.com the world war ll at black sea ain't most popular as a topic. I mean there are no books about it...

So please, direct me to any information about the hits scored by the Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe and the Regina Marina in the area (and their own losses too).

Thank you!

Ironmachine

Re: Question: Naval Warfare In The Black sea

Post by Ironmachine » 23 Nov 2011 18:43

:welcome:

Take a look at this link:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 1&t=148519

About German S-boats in the Black Sea:
http://s-boot.net/sboats-km-blacksea42-43.html

About the Regia Marina in the Black Sea:
http://www.regiamarina.net/detail_text.asp?nid=34&lid=1

Regards.

ptimms

Post by ptimms » 23 Nov 2011 23:17

If I remember correctly there is at least one chapter (if not more) on the Italian deployment in this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Devils-Comm ... 451&sr=1-1

luka17

Post by luka17 » 23 Nov 2011 23:26

Thank you!
Thank both of you! :)

mantill

Post by mantill » 31 Dec 2011 17:02

Christer Bergstrom's book Stalingrad details some of the German's success against shipping during the battle for Sevastopol.

Marc

Pips

Post by Pips » 02 Jan 2012 10:20

There have been relatively few books written about the naval war between Germany and Soviet Russia. It's all but ignored. Two fascinating books that I have are:

Soviet Naval Operations in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945.
By V.I. Achkasov & N.B. Pavlovich

Once you get past the (to be expected) rhetoric it's a very detailed and factual book. Fascinating look on how the Soviets percieved the role of naval power, both strategic and tactical, as a support function in a war otherwise dominated by massive land actions. In some ways the Soviet Naval Staff were intimidated by the more experienced Kriegsmarine and as such decided at an early stage to avoid large ship conflicts. As a counter they deliberately developed a highly practical strategy of small ship operations that were superior to Germans naval operations. One of the most interesting things to come out of the book is the people and personalities of the Soviet navy, who up to now have been all but hidden.

The book is organised by topic rather than chronologically so initially it may make for hard reading. But given the nature of the sea war, and the vastly different area's fought over, it does ultimately work quite well. Contents are:
Soviet and German navies before June 1941;
Defensive minefields;
Defense of naval bases;
Amphibious landings;
Repelling amphibious landings;
Artillery support of ground forces;
Operations against maritime communications;
Defense of our own maritime communications;
Daily combat activity
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pips

Post by Pips » 02 Jan 2012 10:21

The second book I have is much easier to read, but not necessarily any more factual. It does provide an excellent contrast to the Soviet view.

The Soviets as Naval Opponents 1941-1945,
By Friedrich Ruge

Ruge provides the German view on how the Soviets operated, and Germany's response. He examines the naval role, strategy and tactics of Russia in the three main areas where they met German marine forces --- the Baltic, Black Sea and the Northern Theatre --- and compares this with the response of the Kriegsmarine. His main finding is that the Soviets were reluctant to commit their major ships to combat, preferring to employ light forces, aircraft and submarines.He covers also the Soviet amphibious operations and the German failure to realise in the planning stages that sea power would be influential in each theatre and finds that, in fact, Soviet naval operations had significant impacts on the land campaigns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mescal

Post by mescal » 02 Jan 2012 14:15

So please, direct me to any information about the hits scored by the Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe and the Regina Marina in the area (and their own losses too).
It's not a book, but you may want to have a look at uboat.net, which lists all the war patrols conducted by U-boats during the war, with the shipping sunk during each patrol.
You should be able to retrieve the info dealing with the operations of the Typ II-B which operated in the Black Sea from late 1942.
(If I'm not mistaken, those boats were U-9, U-18, U-19, U-20, U-23 and U-24, but I'm not 100% sure no other boats operated in the Black Sea)
Olivier

Mischa

Post by Mischa » 03 Jan 2012 07:06

mescal wrote:(If I'm not mistaken, those boats were U-9, U-18, U-19, U-20, U-23 and U-24, but I'm not 100% sure no other boats operated in the Black Sea)
not other German UBoats, little Italian of the CB-class and the Roumanian two, Delfinul and Requinul. It was all from the Achse.

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 19 Apr 2019 21:06

Naval Warfare in the Black Sea is indeed not well known during WWII.

Edward L. Hsiao

Darius333

Post by Darius333 » 20 Apr 2019 06:40

Here we started a source collection, too:
https://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/i ... 936.0.html

Regards

Darius

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”