German minefields in the North Sea

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Hautpoul

German minefields in the North Sea

Post by Hautpoul » 14 Jan 2013, 18:28

About german mines, are there some maps of german minefields in the North Sea? :idea:
It will be interesting to see where all those mines were put :wink:

Hautpoul

Natter

Re: Sea mines

Post by Natter » 14 Jan 2013, 18:45

Hautpoul wrote:About german mines, are there some maps of german minefields in the North Sea? :idea:
It will be interesting to see where all those mines were put
Yes, of course. The maps/positions are kept in various archives. For instance, I think the UK National Archives has a large selection, as well as the RN. We also have a lot of these maps in norwegian archives (including the RNoN minewarfare data-office), and I guess youæll find copies in all surrounding countris + the US.
Some (if not all) maps are published in various books (I think we have a large RN publication at work, not available now).

You could also check out this book:
"Minenschiffe 1939-1945" (K.v.Kutzleben / W.Schroeder / J.Brennecke, 2002. German text, ISBN 3-7822-0844-7 ). It has the positions and details for all the largest sperrungen (see attached scan of the front jacket-inside - the back has the mediterranen fields. This image are by far complete though - just the larger fields).
I've attached an example of how the book describes the different fields as well.
Attachments
20130108174158108_0062.jpg
20130108174158108_0004.jpg

Sacrificer

Re: German minefields in the North Sea

Post by Sacrificer » 26 Aug 2014, 05:01

This map was created Russian enthusiast, a military researcher, author of several books, Miroslav Eduardovich Morozov. Minefields are plotted according to the transmitted by the Germans after the war, the Norwegians coordinates.
Also on the map are listed Russian submarines undermine that are damaged and killed allegedly killed by these mines.

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”