graf spee. after the scuttling ....(pics..)

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Xavier

graf spee. after the scuttling ....(pics..)

Post by Xavier » 17 Apr 2003, 00:29

Graf Spee after the scuttling:

in the second picture, the ship has settled an even keel on the bottom of the rio de la plata (silver river) , on the first one, the command tower has collapsed, and the radar and master fire director have been obviously removed.

did the locals conduct salvage operations inmediatly after the ship was scuttled?

a couple years back one of the secondary armament guns has been raised (check http://www.grafspee.com) and I know the ship is now completely underwater. was the superstructure (what was above water level)salvaged?

please comment
regards

Xavier
the link scrounger
Attachments
graf spee even keel.jpg
graf spee even keel.jpg (11.56 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

Xavier

more

Post by Xavier » 17 Apr 2003, 04:20

this picture also shows the turret before salvaging operations....

from ocean98.org

Xavier
the link scrounger

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 17 Apr 2003, 15:38

Hi Xavier
cool pics. 8) Thanx.
I too recall seeing a TV documentary about the raising of that gun from AGS. It was interesting to watch them operate in zero visibility and in relatively shallow water. As to if salvage was carried outimmediately afterwards; I'm sure the strong French, US and UK presence there, got some of the tecnology off the ship. She was pretty burnt out tho' and I'm sure the crew had plenty of time to ensure little that was usable was left. I don't know who got the director control. Also the value of pure scrap metal must have been considerable.
regards
A :)

Temeraire

Method

Post by Temeraire » 19 Apr 2003, 17:42

How was she scuttled, by explosives or other means?

Xavier

x

Post by Xavier » 19 Apr 2003, 18:23

Graf spee set sail form the montevideo harbor to face the british ships waiting for she just outside the river plate estuarie.

then suddenly, the ship stopped in mid channel and two tugs aproached ship, to take the crew, several minutes after, the ship was rocked by explosions, set deep in the ship, and Ithink I have read that the seacocks were opened too.

for a deeper look visit

http://www.grafspee.com/

best regards

Xavier
the link scrounger

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”