False Ship Badges

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Manrice

False Ship Badges

Post by Manrice » 03 Oct 2016, 14:35

I just picked up a WW II German post card showing the aft 5.9" triple turrets on a light cruiser. What I found confusing was the emblem displayed on the Caesar turret. It is clearly the Graf Spee's ship's badge (with the roosters and diamonds), even though this is a light cruiser. I wonder if a wartime censor covered up the actual badge or if this was done on board to confuse observers?

kgvm

Re: False Ship Badges

Post by kgvm » 04 Oct 2016, 18:02

The German ships didn't show their own emblem at the turrets, but the turrets were named to reflect the history of former ships of the name.
Might be it's a picture of "Nürnberg" or "Lepzig" - both WW I-cruisers were lost as part of Graf Spee's squadron.

Manrice

Post by Manrice » 10 Oct 2016, 16:19

Ah, that makes perfect sense. The Graf Spee badge was a tribute. It may even have been a tribute to the WW II pocket battleship scuttled in 1939, since the post card is later. Thanks so much!

kgvm

Post by kgvm » 10 Oct 2016, 19:12

" It may even have been a tribute to the WW II pocket battleship scuttled in 1939, since the post card is later. "
Probably the badges on the outside were suppressed when war broke out!

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”