Has anyone read Hans Bartel's book?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Felix C

Has anyone read Hans Bartel's book?

Post by Felix C » 03 May 2017, 20:15

He commanded the minesweeper M1 in the Norwegian campaign. Had some adventures during the war.
The title of the book is "Tigerflagge heiß vor" Published in 1943 which bothers me as it may be more propaganda than actual events.

I understand Gunther Prien's wartime book was rather inaccurate as well so you see my hesitancy in investing in a purchase during wartime.

kstdk

Re: Has anyone read Hans Bartel's book?

Post by kstdk » 03 May 2017, 21:26

Hello

I have it, it is both facts regarding normal days onboard the M1 - but also a lot of propaganda to tell the Youth about the happy days at sea :-)
He was active in and for the HJ - and active for recruiting young men to the KM - and also published a pamphlet "Phantasie als eine Waffe", Kriegsbücherei der Deutschen Jugend Nr. 56, Autor Jakob Rinau "Der Tiger der Fjorde - Kaperfahrten vor Norwegen" is also about Bartels and the M1. Another small book is "SOS Schicksale Deutscher Schiffe - Minensuchboot M1. Der Tiger Der Fjorde" written by Otto Mielke in 1953 is also about the merits of M1 and Hans Bartels.
I have studied Hans Bartels for some time, see also this tread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=89569&hilit=Hans+Bartels
What is your interest in him and M1??

Regards
Kurt - kstdk

Felix C

Re: Has anyone read Hans Bartel's book?

Post by Felix C » 05 May 2017, 03:30

I was offered the book. I had heard of Bartel from the Showell book. I recall one part of his adventure that he and his exec started praying as a torpedo was to hit M1 and it was dude. Also that his ship, presumably M1, was rammed in the front and rear.

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”