Unknown German warship in Norway?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Madsen

Unknown German warship in Norway?

Post by Madsen » 11 Jun 2003 17:30

I was out on a island here at work. there was this old man that told about a shipwreck they found, he told me about a convoy of german ships attacked by planes in the same area as they found a wreck with two big holes in. Does anyone know wich ship it could be? the area im talking about is south of Nesøy and north of Sleneset (this is almost right under the arctic circle in Norway. any info would give me a BIG :D

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 12 Jun 2003 15:57

Hello,

I cannot be of help but if you do not receive any answer you may
wish to post this question at this site?

http://www.warsailors.com/phorum/list.php?f=1

Hope this is of help?

Annelie

Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 13 Jun 2003 18:17

We have some quite good participants concerning naval questions at our online forum at: http://www.nuav.net
Try that.

B.

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 15 Jun 2003 21:17

thank me :lol: hehe Ill give it a try Bjørn
Bjørn Madsen

Tom Houlihan

Post by Tom Houlihan » 15 Jun 2003 21:59

I am not very good at Norwegian geography, but I was reading something this morning, that sounds at least reminiscent of that situation, if it isn't the answer:

"On the morning of 4 March, two British cruisers and five destroyers appeared off Svolvaer in the Lofotens. After shelling the town and sinking several ships in the harbor, they sent a landing party ashore which took about 200 German merchant seamen and 20 soldiers prisoner. A number of Norwegian civilians went along with the British voluntarily."

Ziemke, Earl F.: The German Northern Theater of Operations 1940-1945, DA Pamphlet No 20-271, 12-15-59

How's that sound?

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 18 Jun 2003 18:05

thanks Tom but what you refer to was the famous Lofotraid. It's not that.
If you look on a map of norway you will see that the arctic circle crosses Norway in the Area between Bodø and Mo i Rana. (an easy way to find those places is to follow the railroad north. Nesøy is just south of the circle.

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”