Azov Sea "Wikinger" Flotilla

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Askold

Azov Sea "Wikinger" Flotilla

Post by Askold » 29 Aug 2003 22:04

While reading a book on Ukrainian Galician Army (1920), I came upon an interesting information about one person - Stefan de Rumenovych, a former naval officer. Its states, that during WWII he had a rank of "komandor" in German Kriegsmarine, and commanded a flotilla of "Wikingers", which became famous in their raids in the Azov Sea. Can anyone tell me about the history of this flotilla? When was it formed, type of ships used and any photos if possible.

Edward L. Hsiao

Re: Azov Sea "Wikinger" Flotilla

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 13 Jun 2019 06:13

I never heard of German naval vessels that cruised in the Azov Sea area during WWII. Flotilla of "Wikingers" ? How odd.

Edward L. Hsiao

igorr

Post by igorr » 14 Jun 2019 03:01

German Navy has no rank such komandor and flottille with name "Wikinger". In Azov sea was 3 AT-Flottille, parts of german Donauflottille if i remember correctly, some little cutters with mixed crews - germans, croatian, ukrainian and russian. Later two as hiwi on minor roles of lowest ranks, often not fully at free will. Besides of MAL-lighters in few occasions, there were no "famous' actions in Azov sea for Axis boats.
Stefan Rumenovich was one of minor commanders of Hrvatska Pomorska Legia - unit with very small ex-fishing boats worked in Azov sea for some time. Cutters with 10-15 grt was armed with machineguns and participated in some auxiliary actions near occupied shores.

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 16 Jun 2019 07:09

Thank you for your answer Igorr. That particular subject had gone unanswered for almost 16 years. I know that the Kriegsmarine didn't many ships cruising in the Azov Sea area during WWII.

Edward L. Hsiao

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”