Memel and other WK I Ports

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Jacky Kingsley

Memel and other WK I Ports

Post by Jacky Kingsley » 20 Mar 2004, 22:54

Hi

Once Hitler had taken Memel from the see it is never mentioned as a port again - at least I can find no reference for it. Was it used as a port by the Nazis in the invasions of Poland and Russia and was it used to evacuate the wounded and civilians in 1945? Also was Tilsit used as a port for large ships? Did Wehrkreis I have a submarine base at Konigsberg? Books on the German Navy seem to be in short supply.

Thank you

Jacky

Greyfinn

Post by Greyfinn » 21 Mar 2004, 12:02

Hello,

Was it used as a port by the Nazis in the invasions of Poland and Russia
Yes, Memel was Krigsmarine base...there stationed mainly light forces and from June 1940 until October 1944 in Memel was a base of 24th U-boat flotilla (Training) ...in this area main bases were in Pillau, Königsberg and nearest in Danzig and Gotenhafen (main heavy forces base).
and was it used to evacuate the wounded and civilians in 1945?
Yes of course, during winter and spring 1945 civilians evacuation was executed from every port and little harbour......even from beaches...
Also was Tilsit used as a port for large ships?
Tilsit is situated long way up the River Memel and it was useless for Kriegsmarine and other large ships..I've attached postcard depicted port in Tilsit

Did Wehrkreis I have a submarine base at Konigsberg?
As I earlier wrote Königsberg was one of main bases in this area

Regards
Greyfinn
Attachments
Tilsit Memelstrasse.jpg
Tilsit Memelstrasse.jpg (81.07 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

Jacky Kingsley

Post by Jacky Kingsley » 22 Mar 2004, 18:20

Hi Greyfinn

Thank you for your very helpful information.

Jacky

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”