Transport Ship Blenheim

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Tom Houlihan

Transport Ship Blenheim

Post by Tom Houlihan » 26 Apr 2004, 08:33

Does anyone know anything about the sinking of the Blenheim? Steurich mentions only that it sank, taking a company of SS-I.R.6 down with her.

Landwehr, in "NORD at Salla" accuses the Norwegian crew of 'terrorism,' by abandoning the infantrymen with the ship ablaze.

I tend to take Landwehr with a grain of salt, but if anyone knows anything, I'd appreciate it. BTW, I already checked Christoph's site.

redcoat

Re: Transport Ship Blenheim

Post by redcoat » 26 Apr 2004, 23:45

Tom wrote:Does anyone know anything about the sinking of the Blenheim? Steurich mentions only that it sank, taking a company of SS-I.R.6 down with her.
Here's a nice web-site on what happened along with a photo of the ship :)

http://www.warsailors.com/homefleetsing ... nheim.html

Tom Houlihan

Post by Tom Houlihan » 27 Apr 2004, 03:16

Thanks, Redcoat! As it happens, I was going to indicate that a different approach to searching had uncovered that very site! Now I have to wait until the guy translates that crewman's statements.

I wonder if those Gestapo reports are still available somewhere? I rather doubted Landwehr's claim of terrorism, but the fact that the Gestapo cleared them quashes that claim altogether, wouldn't you say?

redcoat

Post by redcoat » 27 Apr 2004, 12:16

Tom wrote:I rather doubted Landwehr's claim of terrorism, but the fact that the Gestapo cleared them quashes that claim altogether, wouldn't you say?
The fact that 8 of the crew died, and that the Norwegian resistance has never claimed responsibility for the act does point to it being, in my view, an accident.

Take care :wink:

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”