Pilots assigned to ships

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
e.polis

Pilots assigned to ships

Post by e.polis » 13 Sep 2004, 07:38

It may seem a stupid question, but the reality is that I simply don't know, hence we ask, .........pilots that flew aircraft from ships were they navy or airforce personel.

Huck

Re: Pilots assigned to ships

Post by Huck » 13 Sep 2004, 22:11

e.polis wrote:It may seem a stupid question, but the reality is that I simply don't know, hence we ask, .........pilots that flew aircraft from ships were they navy or airforce personel.
It's definitely not a stupid question. All German naval aviation was part of Luftwaffe not Kriegsmarine, including the planes that flew catapulted from ships, therefore the pilots were airforce personnel.

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 18 Sep 2004, 20:26

I regret to differ with Huck.

Naval aviation was part of the Kriegsmarine. The Kuestenfliegergruppen were operated by the Luftwaffe using Kriegsmarine crews who wore Luftwaffe uniform and were assigned temporary Luftwaffe rank.

Paul Just, commander of U-564, described in his autobiography how, after being commissioned in 1938, he was transferred to a KFlGr and took part in the invasion of Poland flying an He 60 on bombing missions over the Hela Peninsula. Bombs were 50-kilos aimed by eye and dropped by hand. For the next year he was the observer in an He 111 flying reconnaissance over the North Sea. During the Battle of Britain he flew sorties against shipping in the Bristol Channel, and was part of a group integrated into the main Luftwaffe squadrons which bombed London, Liverpool and Coventry.

In November 1940 he applied for permanent transfer to the Luftwaffe and received his answer on 1 April 1941 in the form of a drafting order to the U-boat Arm, IIWO to KL Hartenstein aboard U-156.

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 19 Sep 2004, 12:50

Am a bit surprised over Ohrdruf's post. There certainly seems to have been some crosspollution between the services, i.e. a small number of Kriegsmarine officers also had pilot training but e.polis question related to pilots flying from ships and as far as I understand all 'shipboard' pilots were officers or NCO's in the Luftwaffe - but of course, subordinated to the CO of their particular ship. The Observer/Navigator on the shipboard aircraft though - was almost always a navy officer, senior to the pilot and in command of the aircraft - except for the actual flying and it's associated safety concerns.

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 19 Sep 2004, 17:47

Varjag

OK, I wouldn't argue with your version.

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Post by David C. Clarke » 19 Sep 2004, 17:57

So we can at least all agree that this was not a stupid question? :lol:

Best Regards,
David

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 19 Sep 2004, 18:45

David

Of course, nobody implied that it was. It is not absolutely clear how naval aviation was arranged, Paul Just gives a misleading impression in his memoir, but it seems that Varjag is right.

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Post by David C. Clarke » 19 Sep 2004, 19:03

Hi Ohrdruf, I was just referring to e.polis's original post on the Thread. When I saw the question, I said to myself, "that sounds like one of those simple questions that will give people fits".

Best Regards,
David

e.polis

Post by e.polis » 21 Sep 2004, 09:09

Thanks for the clarification in answering my specific question, I can easily give everyone the fits or was that a typo and you meant shits, anyway thanks again to all.

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 21 Sep 2004, 12:12

e.polis wrote:Thanks for the clarification in answering my specific question, I can easily give everyone the fits or was that a typo and you meant shits, anyway thanks again to all.
There are no stupid questions if you seek an answer. But plenty that never dare ask them for fear of seeming stupid. THAT - is stupid, take care cobber - Varjag

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”