official yacht?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Geli

Post by Geli » 01 Sep 2002, 18:23

Phaethon wrote:When I read that I immediately thought of the image below of Hitler with his sister Paula, but on reflection it's not clear they are on a ship - it could be a pier.
I've seen this same photo with a caption that said the woman was Angela, not Paula. I've also seen a photo of Hitler & Geli that looks like it was taken on the same day; Geli's hair is blowing in the wind. I always assumed the photo was taken on a pier, but it could be a boat.

Phaethon wrote:The second image is a postcard from:
http://www.geocities.com/selsoe/deb648c.jpg
Ken -- the bottom photo -- what room is that?

varjag

Hitler with sea-legs

Post by varjag » 02 Sep 2002, 12:56

Phaeton - the pic of Hitler with a woman is definitely a pier - it's not on board a ship.The 'deck parade' is not on a late German battleship - the quarterdeck is too short for that.The retractable air-ventilators and the massive gun-turret, suggest this might be on board one of the SCHLESIEN pre-dreadnought battleships retained after Versailles. The later 'platform' picture is certainly from the launch ceremonies of some vessel - judge by the large number of civilians and the clearly nervous 'launch-master' whose ceremonies,can result in anything from a botched launch to a total
capsize in an extreme case.

Matt Gibbs

Horst Wessel and

Post by Matt Gibbs » 02 Sep 2002, 13:13

Yes indeed the Horst Wessel was the sailing ship later taken to the US.
I recall with regard to the inspection pic seeing it in a book suggecting it might be the Schwelsig-Holstein..? Is this possible, I don't know enough about the big ships yet!
Regards
MG

varjag

Aviso GRILLE - Hitlers 'yacht?'

Post by varjag » 02 Sep 2002, 13:15

After this subject sprung on the forum I became interested. Some net sites claim that the ship was built in 1934-35 for ' Der Führer's Pleasure Cruises'. Given the man's notoriuously bad sea-legs this was indeed a gross gift - by the German people. I have a working nderstanding of German but the ships classification in the German naval lists as an 'aviso' beats me. Does it mean 'despatch vessel' or something along those lines?
Her appearence as a Staff Headquarters i Norway doesn't surprise - she must have been useless for most other applications. Now to her building year? Her lines suggests something very much earlier than -34-35.Money-moguls with bottomless pockets liked clipper bows and stern overhangs like that of the GRILLE when HItler was some ten years old.And it fell outta fashion after WW1. Anyone tell when she was actually launched? And what shipyard? Her designer?

Phaethon

Post by Phaethon » 02 Sep 2002, 14:10

Geli wrote:I've seen this same photo with a caption that said the woman was Angela, not Paula.
The picture is from Hitler and Geli (Hayman, 1997) the picture above is captioned as Hitler and his half-sister Angela. Hitler is in uniform suggesting it was taken much later than the sea front one. Looking at the two women they could be the same at, say, ten years apart.
Geli wrote:Ken -- the bottom photo -- what room is that?
Dunno, it's not the Cancellery. You could ask the vendor [email protected] or stump up the $50 for the set :)

K.

Geli

Post by Geli » 02 Sep 2002, 22:59

Phaethon wrote:
Geli wrote:I've seen this same photo with a caption that said the woman was Angela, not Paula.
The picture is from Hitler and Geli (Hayman, 1997) the picture above is captioned as Hitler and his half-sister Angela. Hitler is in uniform suggesting it was taken much later than the sea front one. Looking at the two women they could be the same at, say, ten years apart.
I have the book and I took a look at it. The author writes "Family Resemblence," but I don't think Angela and Paula looked that much alike. I'll bet that both photos are actually of Angela. Have you ever seen the photo of Geli as a child with long hair, with Angela on one side of her, Paula on the other, and a bunch of kids behind them? Paula didn't look that much like Angela. Her hair was darker.

Matt Gibbs

Grille

Post by Matt Gibbs » 03 Sep 2002, 00:36

The German Admiralty yacht Grille was built by Blohm & Voss Shipyards in Hamburg and was used as a training vessel until becoming the personal yacht of the Fuhrer. He used it to review the naval fleet on a number of occasions, see pic.

In a back issue of The Armourer magazine no 9 from May/June 1995 there is an article Abroad Hitler's yacht with a seasick Fuhrer: story of Herbert Weise, crew member of Hitler's yacht, the Aviso Grille

Commander of the ship from 20 May 35 to 6 May 1938 was Hellmuth 'Papa' Brinkmann, later RK holder.
Another personality Kapitänleutnant Klaus Bargsten had also served on the grille as a midshipman. Later U Boat commander and sole survivor of U 521. Another U baot crewman, sole officer survivor of the U 1229 was Buttner the engineer who had been on the Grille.

Hope this is of use.
In the attached pic the yacht Grille is to the right of the picture!

Regards
MG
Attachments
grille.jpg
Naval Review 1938
grille.jpg (16.2 KiB) Viewed 7543 times

varjag

Unusual picture of Aviso GRILLE

Post by varjag » 03 Sep 2002, 13:03

Tks for the pic, Matt Gibbs. I think the GRILLE is the ship to the left of the camera focus, not right. She's showing her stern,extreme overhang and two tall masts.The ship the camera is focussing on is the SCHARNHORST.

Matt Gibbs

Thanks but...

Post by Matt Gibbs » 03 Sep 2002, 13:27

Indeed, you are correct, it is on the left - my mistake, however. the other ship in the picture is the Gneisenau and was taken on 22 August 1938 during the state visit of Admiral Horthy - indeed, to honour the regent the Hungarian flag is flying from the mainmast - you might just be able to make it out!
Thanks for pointing out the other error though!
Regards
Matt Gibbs

varjag

Salmon or Gluckstein?

Post by varjag » 05 Sep 2002, 13:09

Matt I made my ID of the Scharnhorst by the mainmast being set aft of the stack whereas G had hers just aft of the bridge - oddly when looking hard at the picture, I can't see the lower legs of the tripod which in S landed straddling the a/c hangar. Are they obscured in the pic? Or was the mast/tripod arrangement changed after the 1938 rewiev honouring the only Austrian admiral who (momentarily) managed to break the Otranto barrier?

Harri

Post by Harri » 05 Sep 2002, 13:27

Wasn't Grille used largely modified as a mine layer vessel during the war?
Last edited by Harri on 24 Sep 2002, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Gibbs

i.d.

Post by Matt Gibbs » 05 Sep 2002, 13:52

Sorry to be unable to shed more light on the i.d. issue of the ship.
I am interested in the Kriegsmarine of course but do not know enough about the big ships to confirm.
However, I believe the photos come from a Kriegsmarine source. I can't find the source in my file, I was sent them when I was interetsed in another subject but I will post a coule of others for you to compare with from the 22nd August Review, another showing the Hungarian flag more clearly.

Regards
Matt Gibbs
Attachments
gneiseflpar1.jpg
Another pic - this one has the Fuhrerstandarte flying, indicating Hitler was aboard at the time
gneiseflpar1.jpg (13.57 KiB) Viewed 7469 times
gneiseflpar2.jpg
Fleet Parade pic - note the Hungarian Flag
gneiseflpar2.jpg (43.15 KiB) Viewed 7469 times

varjag

Salmon or Gluckstein

Post by varjag » 06 Sep 2002, 14:20

RELAX MATT GIBBS! I was wrong.!The picture in question is really the GNEISENAU.I overcame my lethargy and checked some pictures I have and you are right![As are the pics you posted they are both of the GNEISENAU. :oops: /b]

Matt Gibbs

I'm always relaxed!

Post by Matt Gibbs » 06 Sep 2002, 16:47

Hehe, I know more about the big ships now than I did! Thanks for keeping me on my toes. I even know more about the Yacht Grille now than I ever did, and my main interest used to be the HJ! LOL
I bet I couldn't tell from pics what the differences are in the pocket battleships though! :D

Kind Regards

Matt Gibbs

J von B

Post by J von B » 22 Sep 2002, 01:19

Hello fellows!

Happy to inform you I finally found photos of Grille. What a beautiful ship. Cannot really understand why they build so ugly yachts today.

More at: http://www.klaus-kramer.de/Schiff/Staat ... d_top.html

At the same site I found some nice photos of Kaiser Wilhelm II yacht, S.M.Y Hohenzollern II.

http://www.klaus-kramer.de/Schiff/Staat ... d_top.html

Regards

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”